Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOSAKer Joining The MT Division :D

Ben X · 13 · 1541

Offline Ben X

SOSAKer Joining The MT Division :D
on: February 20, 2009, 07:45:16 PM
Hey, I put this up in the introduce yourself thread but I will post here to to introduce myself. I have been on SOSAK for a year and between Def and the rest of the crew talking this place up I thought I'd check it out. I am a SAK nut of 8 years now, I've own dozens, and finally modded my first this week. A lot of you have probably already seen it on SOSAK but I'll post it again as I know how much we all love mod pics. Anyway I look forward to meeting even more fellow Swiss MT fans!

My Humble Mod Setup:

The Machinist as I named it:

And a pic of the other side:
"

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Re: SOSAKer Joining The MT Division :D
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 07:48:27 PM
i said on the new members forum and ill said again.....cool mod mate :tu:
A

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 07:52:08 PM
Welcome Ben  :D

Dunc

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 07:55:34 PM
I still think it's a great tool selection. :salute:  have you sent it to your Dad yet? Or are you going to give it in person?

I was asked this after my first one, was it harder or easier than you thought it would be?  Are there things you would do differently or did you pretty much get it right first time?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 08:01:35 PM by Gareth UK »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 08:05:27 PM
Thats a cracker buddy .Welcome to the forum you are in good company

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 08:11:09 PM
Welcome again  :D :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 10:22:06 PM
That looks like a very useful mod man :tu:

Welcome to Mt.O :cheers:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 10:24:09 PM
Welcome aboard mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 01:34:47 AM
Welcome to the Forum! :tu: :tu: :tu:
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 02:20:41 AM
Welcome aboard!  That's a great looking mod,I wish Vic would offfer more variants with the file;I bet there's a lot of folks that have more use for a file than a saw.
I

Offline Ben X

Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 02:23:35 AM
I still think it's a great tool selection. :salute:  have you sent it to your Dad yet? Or are you going to give it in person?

I was asked this after my first one, was it harder or easier than you thought it would be?  Are there things you would do differently or did you pretty much get it right first time?

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone, I really appreciate it! To answer your question my best friend just happened to come down for the weekend so I'll send it with him to my dad, I don't want that rarity to even have the chance to disappear in the mail :D I would hand deliver it myself but I won't be home for Spring Break for a month and that's a lot of use he could get out of it. Plus if something is going to go wrong I can fix it fairly soon with break coming up.

Yes it was much easier in the end than I thought. My main problem was that I cut one pin off too short and had to peen it with the punch I had to try to mushroom it out as much as possible. It was on the pivot pin for the main blade, which is the only function, so hopefully dad will never twist it hard enough to create play or make it come apart. I applied a lot of force to all the joints and they seem to be holding well.
As for things I would have done differently that went poorly, first, I didn't know the center bushing was smaller, so my 1/8 drill in bit reamed it our beyond reuse, I had to be super careful with the second. I'll buy a smaller bit for that before mod #2. Secondly, I really had a hard time keeping the tools in place after compressing the springs until I could get the liners in place. Peening and checking the action was fairly simple though. I really need to get some stock brass pin to practice with now.
All in all it turned out better than I expected, I figured I would mess one of the pins up so bad I would have to get some stock instead of reusing the Champion pins.
Oh, and it's nice you can clean places on the blades with it apart that would not be accessible otherwise, in a way you can clean an old SAK up like new if you just scrub all the parts before assembly.
Thanks again for all the input guys!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 02:29:19 AM by Ben X »
"

Offline Ben X

Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 05:55:48 PM
Well, my friend failed to deliver the package over the whole week he had it, so when I came home for the weekend to fix a car I had acquired to sell, I got the knife and personally delivered it to my dad last night.
He said "So is this one to put together?" Guess he did notice I was sorta getting into modding last summer, I figured it had slipped his mind. So then he starts opening blades and I explain that it is the only one on the planet anything like it. He said "Well the two screwdriver I'll use are right next to each other." I left the letter in there even though I got to deliver it in person so he could see the "One of a kind knife for a one of a kind dad, etc." comments. Anyway he didn't seem dismissive, although he said "looks too nice to mess up, etc." and I urged him to reconsider by assuring him I had several of everything represented on the knife.
One other thing, my friend (same "delivery" guy friend) has a Wenger PTC with silver scales, or smooth alox, not really sure. Anyway I can't even tell how they were secured in the first place, but they've fallen off and short of glue I can't see how one would resecure it. They were engraved with initials anyway, so he didn't care for them in the first place and sounded interested in the notion of replacing them. Does Wenger put out replacement scales someplace for the 65mm models like Vic does for the 58mm's?
"

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 06:39:03 PM
I'm glad your Dad liked it.  I'm going to guess that he will find the file etc. more useful than he thinks.  Just remember that even if he never uses it even once, he'll still know that you made it for him. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%