Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
WTF?
on: February 23, 2009, 05:00:06 AM
"...While multi-tools provide the user with a variety of tools and options, they typically do not excel in any particular area..."

http://www.outdoorpros.com/Buying-Guides/Knife-Buying-Guide/1
(

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: WTF?
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 05:38:59 AM
 ::)

Let's assume that the writer doesn't excel in any particular area either then shall we?!
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline rockyman500

Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 05:46:17 AM
WTF indeed...
[

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 05:46:57 AM
I guess "typically" is the key here... With the abundance of Chinese knock-offs and other low-quality multitools, the Good Ones (TM) we are used to are just a minuscule sample of the total MT population, captured by the edges of its variance and not its (typical) mean...

Now if anyone understood what I just wrote, please explain it to me... :D

Offline rockyman500

Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 05:56:32 AM
i dont
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 05:59:01 AM by rockyman500 »
[

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 06:08:35 AM
Perhaps he is just saying that a multitool implement is seldom comparable to the best dedicated version of that tool.
[

Offline tanker

Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 06:48:32 AM
Multitools excel in its own area and that´s enough for me :multi:
T

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 01:33:28 PM
"...While multi-tools provide the user with a variety of tools and options, they typically do not excel in any particular area..."

http://www.outdoorpros.com/Buying-Guides/Knife-Buying-Guide/1

I would actually say that "typically" that is correct.  The way I see it, a decent dedicated tool will, more often than not, be better than that on a MT as a MT is trying to pack as much function into it as possible.  I always see a MT as being the height of convenience and there when you need them, not really a replacement of dedicated tools, which I think the writer is trying to get across in that statement.
I'm back!!

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 02:05:19 PM
Yeah, 10-4 Benner.  I LOVE multitools, don't get me wrong, but they are sort of like cell phones.  Cell phones are phones, computers, mini tv sets, mini radios, GPS systems, etc.  However, they are not the best phones when compared to a dedicated land line, or not the best computer when compared to the standard laptop or desk top, etc.  A multitool has drivers, a knife, pliers, a saw, etc, but it is NOT the best saw, not the best pliers, not the best knife, etc.  Like Benner said, they get the job done, usually more conveniently then dedicated tools because they are the ones we will be carrying with us, just not as well as a dedicated tool.  I don't think it was a shot at multitools.  Just an observation.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 04:36:50 PM
theres a said from where i come: "sos como una navaja suiza, bueno para todo, experto en nada" translated: "youre like a SAK, good for everything, expert in nothing" meaning that you could probably do a lot with a SAK but not as good as with a dedicated tool.....but i still using my MT more than anything else :multi:
A

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 06:08:13 PM
lol... you have sayings for SAKs in your part of the world? AFAIK we definitely don't here in Greece... I wonder if there is such a thing in Switzerland...  :think:

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 08:25:51 PM
TBH, I would agree with what this guy's saying.. We all know that with multi-tools you need to be compromises.. By this I mean having "stubby" bit drivers and getting one handed blades, or have "slippery" screwdrivers and having extremely good rust resistance.. With all multi-tools you need to make compromises.. But some, like the LM Core just work and you don't have any compromises at all really. (I'm talking about functionality)
B

Offline flapjackboy

Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 10:20:33 PM
theres a said from where i come: "sos como una navaja suiza, bueno para todo, experto en nada" translated: "youre like a SAK, good for everything, expert in nothing"

We have a similar saying over here in Blighty. "Jack of all trades, master of none."
[

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 10:22:15 PM
theres a said from where i come: "sos como una navaja suiza, bueno para todo, experto en nada" translated: "youre like a SAK, good for everything, expert in nothing"

We have a similar saying over here in Blighty. "Jack of all trades, master of none."

yes, that'll be the most correct translation
A

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 10:28:22 PM
The guy may have a small point but try getting a fully loaded tool box in along with the luggage or if the organic fertilliser HITS THE AIRCONDITIONING take the time to go and get your tool box and see waht happens >:D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 02:35:40 AM
::)

Let's assume that the writer doesn't excel in any particular area either then shall we?!

Of all the replies so far I think this one is most appropriate. :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%