Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pentagonlight is no more, RIP

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Pentagonlight is no more, RIP
on: February 27, 2009, 05:22:08 AM
WTF is Surefires' problem?  Not selling enough $200 flashlights to keep up, so you knock down a little guy?  Was Pentagonlight really that much of a threat?

After several months of a major legal dispute, PentagonLight™ has exhausted all resources available for its defense against numerous allegations of patent infringement and false advertisement from its competitor. At the point of financial insolvency, PentagonLight™ accepted all terms for an unfavorable settlement, including the admission of willful patent infringement, the destruction and recall of the majority of inventory and products sold, and the agreement to the complete shutdown of our manufacturing and sales operations on all current and future flashlight products. On the verge of bankruptcy and in abiding those terms of the settlement, we apologize to all of our loyal customers and faithful supporters that PentagonLight™ will no longer be able to provide first-rated illumination products.
[

ca Offline Black Rose

Re: Pentagonlight is no more, RIP
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 05:32:31 AM
Don't know if you are on CPF, but there was a huge thread about this over there.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 05:45:04 AM
Don't know if you are on CPF, but there was a huge thread about this over there.

I heard there was a lawsuit going on, but I didn't know they actually shut down until I read that on their website tonight.
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 11:52:22 AM
That really blows.  Their lights were exceptionally good.
I'm back!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 12:39:09 PM
Can anyone give us a brief rundown of what the infringement was supposed to have been?  While I don't like the idea of a companies patents being ripped off, surely taking it to the point that Pentagon went bankrupt seems over the top?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 04:41:49 PM
They apparently made flashlights that consisted of, but are not limited to, metal or plastic bodies, some kind of light emitting device, being standard bulb assembly or LED, incorporating some kind of switching/activation device, and powered by some kind of portable electric cell.  Oh wait, that's everyone... I guess Surefire will be going after them next since they did if first... oh, no, wait, that was Energizer who did it first... I guess Surefire should bow down to the all powerful bunny...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 04:48:34 PM
 I don't own a Surefire,are they so good that they can command the price they do? Can a Fenix do the job just as well, for less money? If I laid out that kind of money for a flashlight,I'd never take it out of the house for fear of losing it.
Most cops I know really can't afford a Surefire.Except for uniforms and drycleaning,they have to equip themselves out of their own pocket,or get a pitifully small equipment allowance.
I

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 04:52:44 PM
I have had a few SureFires, and I have to say I prefer my trusty Fenix and Gerber light a lot more.  And my ExtremeBeam, which is similarly priced, but also has two rechargeable batteries and the charger with it....  Oh, and my Photon Proton.... and my Vic lights... and now my Leatherman Serac....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 07:30:28 PM
I don't own a Surefire,are they so good that they can command the price they do? Can a Fenix do the job just as well, for less money? If I laid out that kind of money for a flashlight,I'd never take it out of the house for fear of losing it.
Most cops I know really can't afford a Surefire.Except for uniforms and drycleaning,they have to equip themselves out of their own pocket,or get a pitifully small equipment allowance.

Alot of us now carry lights from deal extreme as back-ups.  I know many of you like purchasing lights from American companies (AND THATS GREAT  :tu:) but when I see good, bright, cheap flashlights I just can not pass them up.  I can not see buying another Surefire, Night-Ops, or even a Fenix when a much cheaper light will perform just as good.  I said it before and Ill say it again....I can't help it.....Im cheap.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 08:17:08 PM
I wasn't too struck on Pentagon lite stuff , they had a few design's that were pretty out there . They were pretty blatant Surefire clones . Probably Surefire swatted them due to the fact that they were US based , and  therefore in range . Back in the day , Mag instruments was rather notorious for doing the same type of stuff .

Another possability is that Surefire may have wanted to fire a shot across Pelicans bows . They appear to be committing the same alledged infringement . Peli. is a bigger company , and a tuffer nut to crack .

Chris
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 08:21:37 PM by Styerman »

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 08:40:03 PM
I hope they don't go after Pelican next.
(

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD