Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

n00b questions for SAK mods

Offline bingofuel

n00b questions for SAK mods
on: March 10, 2009, 04:16:12 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I'll ask anyways.  I've been looking at all the custom SAK mods posted online and have decided I'd like one for myself.  I definitely won't be creating it myself, as I don't have the tools/experience, so I'll have to "commission" someone to do it.  Is there a specific website(s) where one can order a custom SAK, or do people just get in touch with modders informally through word of mouth?  I've seen a lot of Scibeer's work out there; are there any other reputable modders in the US or Canada?  Is it expected to pay for a custom SAK with cash, or are trades also acceptable?  Thanks in advance for answering.

Offline Ben X

Re: n00b questions for SAK mods
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 09:25:45 AM
Well I haven't been around this forum in particular very long, but I would say Scibeer is very reputable and you would have absolutely no problems with his quality or service. Others around here do it as well, I'm sure they will post/pm you if you make clear what you're looking for. Some of us just do layer mods, ie custom blade configurations, while others like scibeer could make scales with a .357 magnum built in if you needed it :P (hyperbole just to clear that up...) Anyway, to answer your other question, it just depends on the person, and what you want to trade. A busted Classic might not carry your mod as far as if you offered up to trade a Shuttle, or a Scientist, or a 84mm Golfer etc. etc. :P
"

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 10:38:38 AM
You can contact scibeer via his webite or just send him a personal message here on the forum.

He's a nice chap, I'm sure he can sort you out.

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline bingofuel

Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 07:59:31 PM
Thanks for the replies.  As soon as I'm finished moving, I'll be sure to give him a shout.  I didn't mean to imply that I wasn't impressed by his work (on the contrary, I'm quite enamored), I just wanted to know who was out there. 

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 11:30:14 PM
Nah - it was a fair question! Scibeer's your man, but if he does one for you, you have to post pictures of it here. It's the law ;)
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 12:07:32 AM
I would actually give NKB the buisness. I dont know if he does that many of them but I got to say he would do you right.
S

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 12:16:13 AM
I would actually give NKB the buisness. I dont know if he does that many of them but I got to say he would do you right.

Kind of you to say but I'm on the wrong side of the planet.  Makes much more sense for Bill to do it.  :tu:

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 01:30:38 AM
Ya but you put love into it;)
S

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 01:34:51 AM
It may help to start acquiring knives containing what you want in your custom knife.
Red and blue Farmers are still readily available, red and black Pioneers, and Cadets in 8 different colors.
All make fine mod fodder if you want alox.

AFAIK, all 84mm tools can be installed in Cadets except backspring tools.
Unfortunately, the tool selection is limited in current 84mm SAKs:
Large and small blade, nail file, combo tool, openers, saw, and the My First Vic butter-knife.
The butter-knife blade can be re-ground into a sheepsfoot.
If you want scissors on an 84,  you need to find a beater Golfer with good scissors.

We have seen Farmer mods posted here (mostly by Scibeer) with just about all of the 91mm tools (except backspring tools).

R

Offline bingofuel

Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 07:24:48 AM
^ How did you know I wanted alox?  :think:

I've already started to look locally for donor knives.  I've already noticed the dearth of 84mm tools, but I've read in posts that there are others available from previous models: serrated main blade, electrician's blade, scissors . . . am I missing any?

Is it possible to fit a Wenger 84mm serrated blade into a Cadet?  I'd like a serrated blade for emergency use, but I'm dreading having to track down a serrated Pocket Pal or Recruit.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%