Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your first sentance on MT.org

Guest · 34 · 2202

Flash

Your first sentance on MT.org
on: March 14, 2009, 08:41:24 PM
Dudes and dudesses,

What was your first ever post on this fine forum?

Mine (back in May 2007,) makes me sound like a right scrounging bugger

"Sir,

Have you any of those charge saws left? I am a cop and use my leatherman almost daily and could use as many of those cool saws that you can spare (my shift also carry leathermans ;-)

If you have some and can send them to England then that would be great.  If so please let me reimburse you via paypal for costs and shipping etc"

This could be fun  :D

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Re: Your first sentance on MT.org
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 08:55:28 PM
Mine was

"The can opener and the ruler." being out of context I have no idea what I was talking about....
(

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 09:03:08 PM
My first post contains quite a bit of text and one of the first pictures I ever posted on the internet.

I'm not talking about candlelight and wine but that feeling that with this tool one really can do anything. One can get into or out of any situation. It's a weird kind of high that is really hard to nail down or even figure out the cause of. Anyway, found this piece floating in my composition folder, figured it might make a nice introduction. Heya.

+ An ode to my first multi-tool ever.

My first multi-tool was an 8$ smurf that stole my heart and left me in the pouring rain.

It was called the Meyerco Paradox and at best was completely forgettable before it ever rolled off the assembly line in Seki-City, Japan. The knife featured a 3 inch blade of AUS8 steel with a skinny but solid liner lock and a chunky fiberglass-reinforced nylon handle that had a fold-out pliers/bit holder/screwdriver tool that actually worked pretty well. I purchased the knife quite simply because it was the best quality I could afford. Prior to my encounter with the Paradox I had never really been a knife owner, I had had my share of Swiss Army knives and the ubiquitous knock-off models and I had even had a real, honest-to-God Leatherman Tool (the Holy Grail of mischief makers to a child of 11) once before my Junior High teacher confiscated it and sent it away to the June box. But those items were lost or traded away with little emotional attachment. The Paradox changed my view of knives, they were no longer mere tools that were never to be maintained and discarded when too dull or broken from abuse. Knives were now to be researched and maintained and oiled and cared for. Knives would eventually allow me to make a fair living for myself all the way through College, but of course, that is another story.

I found the Meyerco Paradox whilst slowly orbiting a poorly-lit, poorly-cleaned hunting store, doing my best to look like a discerning customer and not like a student trying to soak up free air-conditioning before class started. In the back of the store, right under the blessed air-conditioning vent there was a large wooden crate with a hand-written sign that stated "USED/CLEARENCE/PAWN" and featured several dozen boxes as well as a few dozen more items in ziploc bags with little orange stickers displaying the price. I must have walked past the crate some half-dozen times before I decided to stop and see if there were something interesting that I could purchase and hopefully improve my relationship with the shop clerk, a crusty old woman who seemed to be trying very hard to remember exactly how to kick some deadbeat out of her store. I was to begin my first actual job since entering college the following weekend and for some reason I had decided that a knife must accompany me to said job. So I started moving boxes around trying to find the cheapest knife in the crate, something I could use for a while and then discard or trade away when needed. I had amassed quite a little army of low-cost low-quality Chinese folding knives when I happened upon a hefty box bearing the name"MEYERCO." As I had done previously with my Chinsese folders I opened the box and inspected the knife. I remember thinking then that I had hit gold, I had found my excalibur. Upon inspection I was sure of it; the Paradox snapped open with a solid Ka-CHUNK and featured a fine looking polish and an edge that, to my untrained finger, seemed like it could slice open a cannonball. With one sweep of my hand I scattered the Chinese folders back into the crate and bounded up to the register to make my purchase, divorcing myself from the rest of my lunch money for the week in the process but having no regrets. I remember feeling elated that I had gotten such a good deal on such a quality tool that would be so useful to me.

The knife never left my side for an entire year. I learned to sharpen using the Paradox, a skill I value highly to this day. I became a Mr-Fixit of sorts thanks to the knife. Co-workers and family came asking what I could do for their broken or malfunctioning equipment. I started carry a small pouch filled with bits that would fit in the Paradox bit holder; a Torx T15 for my manager's cash drawer, a Robertson bit for my father's doorknobs, several Allen heads for my bicycle, and the regular old Philips/Yankee combination for recreational use. I carried it while washing dishes til 3am at the local diner, loaning it out dozens of times a night to co-workers and even a few customers. I carried it on the dark, cold December walks from the library, moving as quickly as I could towards the warm, comforting palace of my girlfriend's cramped studio apartment. I carried it when I drove 900 miles in one day to see my father in the hospital.

I cut everything with it and the pliers/screwdriver combo still influences my EDC to this day.

I lost the knife on a flooded Alabama dirt road during a hurricane while I was attempting to wince my best friend's car out of a ditch before it was washed away. The rain was coming down in angry torrets of water, each drop striking like the fists of Zeus himself. After the car was all tied up the driver attempted a preliminary pull but fed the engine too much gas. My ears filled with the roar of the powerful V8 as rich red mud splattered my face and chest. Stunned and in pain, but trying to stay on my feet, I slipped in the mud and while scrambling to regain my balance the knife seemed to jump from my grip and land in the flowing river of mud and rock that had filled the ditch, making a sickening bloik as it disappeared forever in the raging current. My heart screaming after it, never to save it.

Sometimes on the way home from work I take the long way and drive down that same cursed road. Sometimes I imagine I see a sparkle of AUS8, or the beautiful void of black fiberglass-reinforced nylon sitting there in the mud waiting for me. But I never stop, I never really look, I just imagine that someone will see the same perfect sparkle. That someone will stop and look around, asking their buddy "Hey! What's that?" before bending on one knee and becoming the rightful owner of an 8$ knife. An 8$ knife that I could never pay enough money for again.

I was for the knife but the knife was not for me.
(Image removed from quote.)

I earned more than 100 dollars for that winch job and before the mud had dried on my boots I had ordered three new knives. They were more expensive, more practical and all-around better products than the Paradox but they never really felt right to me. To this day I search for a replacement, afraid to re-purchase the Paradox for fear that it will be different than I remember. Or even worse, better than I remember, prompting me to throw the rest of my knives to the four corners of the globe in an orgy of reunification with the only knife I ever really loved. If you ever head into East Alabama look around for some of the dirt roads that parallel highway 280, specifically for County Road number 88. That knife may yet cut another line in the rain and the mud.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 09:07:16 PM

Wow, I remember that one Spoon! :)  It was a real doozy compared to my first one from Sept 2006: ::)

Def, nice review of the Solstice. Too bad Gerber discontinued it so quickly. Also too bad they never put their name on the plier version.

~Bob

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 09:15:26 PM
Hi all,

Stopped lurking and came to say hi! I'm on EDCF lots but came to get in depth info for a new purchase.

LM wave/charge... darn, can't decide  Huh

It wasn't very long ago and I very quickly bought a Charge Ti, then moved on to the next obsession  :o
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 09:23:23 PM
Heh... The reason I stopped lurking and did my first post is right now packed up and waiting for Monday to sail out on a long and lonely journey to the land of HM the Queen... ::)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 10:14:10 PM
Heh... The reason I stopped lurking and did my first post is right now packed up and waiting for Monday to sail out on a long and lonely journey to the land of HM the Queen... ::)

Haha - cool :tu:

Mine went like this:

Hi,

I'm Dave and I'm an alcoholic I've been lurking on this forum for a few months, so I thought I'd finally make the effort to register and say hi. So, err, hi!

I stumbled across multitool.org a few months ago, whilst looking for reviews on Leatherman tools. I found the review (and I honestly can't remember which one it was now) to be exactly what I needed, a non-biased, detailed and accurate account and I bookmarked it.

Then, I found myself coming back as my Leatherman collection grew and I was deciding which tool to acquire next.

So, here I am  :multi:

Leatherman tools "do it for me", and so far I've amassed rather a lot of different tools in my collection, along with copious amounts of sheaths and accessories. I'm Tim Leatherman's dream customer.  :)

I'll probably be around the Leatherman forum most, and will try to contribute to the forum if I can.

Just want to say thanks to the guys that run this site - keep up the good work!

Awwwww  :-[
I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 10:17:47 PM
Wicked the forums are now complete now the mother of all multi tools are here  ;)

Its gona cost all the Leatherman, Sog and Gerber fans a lot of sleepless nights when they realise how good the Swiss tools are >:D
Seem's like my opinion's not really changed :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 10:24:47 PM
Mine:

I am so fascinated by the skeletool that it made me go from a fly on the wall to a forum member.  Does anyone know when I can expect to see this at a retail store (ie Dicks or Gander Mnt)?  BTW-thanks for the reviews.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 10:58:05 PM
Hi all,

I am new to the site, but not new to the world of multitools.

I currently own a PST and am looking to purchase the tool adapter.  Does anyone know where the best place is to get one (in the UK), and where I can also get a pouch that holds both the tool and the adapter with its bits?

Thanks

Benner

And I still don't have one.  :D
I'm back!!

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 12:36:18 AM
Mine was a bit of a long post about the rust status of my various LMs, but the fist line was...

Quote from: NeitherExtreme
Hi all!
I've enjoyed reading this forum for a while and appreciated all the information I've gathered.

ca Offline Black Rose

Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 12:44:33 AM
Way back on February 18th :D, I uttered the following as my first post:

Quote from: Black Rose
I don't think scratch resistant is the best phrase to use.

If you have a coloured Alox SAK and carry it regularly, the colour on the "bumps" will wear off, giving a silver and "whatever" colour SAK.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 12:46:00 AM

If you have a coloured Alox SAK and carry it regularly, the colour on the "bumps" will wear off, giving a silver and "whatever" colour SAK.

Goodness gracious, how can you even remember that far back? :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 01:33:35 AM
Hello everyone, my name is Neil and I'm quite partial to a SAK or several. 

Honest but dull. 

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 01:45:25 AM
Mine was from the M4 Sebertech review Bob did :tu: Great keychain tool and it is on my set of key that stay in my work truck :D

Hi I am new to the forum been reading here for a little while this is 1st post. Great site. I have a m4 and I think its great like you say not a big boy but there for a small job.  Also had a m3 but cant find it anywere liked it as well. so I say yay.

pretty fun thread Flash :D :cheers:

that post was last April the 2nd I was a member for 3 days before I posted :o :D

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 01:50:30 AM
Here is mine , do not need a CX , Suspension gone the Bug has well & truly removed all my limbs(think the Holy Grail :D)

I have the bug & it is bitting hard
« on: April 21, 2008, 12:18:10 PM »
   Reply with quoteQuote
Hi there my name is Mat & I live in Adelaide Australia. My good wife bought me a Surge gift pack for my birthday & now I am hooked (the watch is broken though). 2nd multi Gerber suspension (son's like but iam not sure),3rd multi PST original very nice, 4th Skeletool ( very cool but I would like a full sized one) ,5th squirt p4 ( so tiny, bit youngest son's finger when he closed it , very funny , after that he kindly put it away with the other "iron men" as he calls them). Coming X3 micras from ebay 1 for me, 1 for wife & 1 for dad. Looking for nice sideclip and original Mini. Wanting but not sure if I can justify a CX Skeletool. I have bought all my muti's from ebay , I hate to think what my wife paid for the Surge , my local shop is selling Skeletools for $200aus , bought my skeletool via ebay store for $70aus delivered. So there is my confession is there a cure to Leatherman fever?

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 01:51:50 AM
Mine was from the M4 Sebertech review Bob did :tu: Great keychain tool and it is on my set of key that stay in my work truck :D

Hi I am new to the forum been reading here for a little while this is 1st post. Great site. I have a m4 and I think its great like you say not a big boy but there for a small job.  Also had a m3 but cant find it anywere liked it as well. so I say yay.

that post was last April the 2nd I was a member for 3 days before I posted :o :D

Odd that there were no smiley's in your first post Ponch! :pok: :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 01:53:09 AM
I was wrong the thread was about the M4 but ducktapehero started it ::) I also posted in Bobs review of it but that was later :D

Everybody was very friendly guess that's why this place is so great :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 01:53:55 AM

Odd that there were no smiley's in your first post Ponch! :pok: :D

I hadn't figured out how 2 by then Bob :pok: :D

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 02:05:24 AM
Things that can help people whit some kind of a disability and at a affordable price gets a gold star from me. Giving a person just a little bit of pride and independence is more important than people think. Love hearing stories like this.

Can't wait to get my S60. I'm from Norway and the price for a S60 is 200 bucks if not more over here. Thank God for the internet, just cost me 70 bucks+ shipping.

Used a paratool for 10 years now and it's still going strong. Butt it's time to retire it. I love SOG.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 02:09:55 AM
Here is mine:

Hello fellow leatherman and leatherwoman. I always have my leatherman charge Ti by my side and using it almost everyday since it was given to me by my bro after he visited the states almost 3 years ago. I'm working in a farm so it been through a lot of abuse, it had repaired motorcycles, bikes, generators and trucks. It had mended fences, electrical wiring (got electricuted with it once to still have melted copper on the pliers) did minor repairs on animal pens to. Cut through trees (small ones) during a storm.
Its still in good condition but guess its time for it to have a well deserve rest on my drawer for household use. I've been looking at the skeletool in the web for possible replacement for my everyday use, weight reduction is very welcome but could it take the abuse of farm work? Can it out perform charge? Haven't handled a skeletool so don't know if I will be better off with the new charge but the skeletool sure looks purtyer than charge.

I ended up with the SURGE but still planning to buy a Skeletool :D
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009, 03:16:32 AM
A bit boring but here it is.

Hello,  My name is Dennis, from W. central Ohio. I finally joined after lurking for a month or so.  I found this site while looking for info on a possible new tool purchase.  Love the reviews .
Dennis

Offline Leatherman123

!
Reply #22 on: March 15, 2009, 03:20:22 AM
I like them a lot. I have almost every multitool out there besides the sog switchplier...  The Charge XTI is my alltime favorite though along with the TTI... What do you think is better the Leatherman Core or Vic Swisstool? same implements basically besides the chisel.

Wow, I had NO IDEA what I was talking about!! This is before I knew about all the different multitools; I only thought there was LM, Gerber, and SOG! I only had the current Gerber and SOG tools; not the discontinued stuff.. I still don't!  :ahhh
B

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Re: !
Reply #23 on: March 15, 2009, 03:22:26 AM

I had NO IDEA what I was talking about!!     I still don't!  :ahhh

Well at least you finally admit it :cheers:
Dennis

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #24 on: March 15, 2009, 03:24:47 AM
I was talking about the Gerber/SOG stuff!  :twak:  :D :D
B

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #25 on: March 15, 2009, 03:27:36 AM
Quote from: Mr. Whippy
New to the forum, not the addiction.

Truer words...

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: March 15, 2009, 03:30:59 AM
I was talking about the Gerber/SOG stuff!  :twak:  :D :D
Whoops, Sorry about that. Will try not to let it happen again. :P ;)  Perhaps next time you could add a picture to make it more clear what your talkin about. :pok: :pok: :D
Dennis

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #27 on: March 15, 2009, 03:31:45 AM
 :D :D
B

ca Offline Black Rose

Reply #28 on: March 15, 2009, 03:40:33 AM

Goodness gracious, how can you even remember that far back? :D
Some days I can't recall what I had for supper the night before....so going back almost a month is good....well that and the fact I had to go and search for it  ??? :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #29 on: March 15, 2009, 05:15:20 PM
Not just my first post, but the first post on what would eventually grow into the community we know and love!

Welcome to the new Forum Software for Multitool.org.  Please bear with us while we set things up here, but in the meantime feel free to post and test out the options that are available to you. At this point, I welcome any comments and suggestions as we build the new forum into what we are hoping will be the best independant multitool reference source in the world!
Def

Bear in mind that we had several other forums that we'd started and dismissed as the software wasn't up to the level we needed or wanted it to be, and so there was no point to writing anything special or inspiring if this forum went the same way as the others!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%