Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Outdoor Edge Trek Tool.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Outdoor Edge Trek Tool.
on: June 01, 2009, 02:46:52 AM
Warning..amateur review in progress.  :D

I just recently bought this piece at a local archery shop. I must be part crow because the first thing that caught my eye was the decorative finish. Once I saw that, I just had to have it for the collection, it being different and all. The price was also a feature. Actually based upon the price, I wasn’t expecting much, and was very surprised at the solid quality feel of the Trek Tool.

The Trek Tool is a rather large specimen. I think someone gave it steroids during its conception. With the size, comes a nice solid heft. This is a large tool that would be great for large jobs.

From left to right: Trek Tool, Leatherman Core, Leatherman Surge, and Schrade ST1.

Some might call this a feature, and others won’t like it at all. I am sort of on the fence with this one. The Trek Tool has a spring that keeps the pliers apart at rest. Great if you want to one hand the pliers with greater ease. However, I find the spring gets in the way somewhat during use. I can see a pro and a con to this feature.

The tool selection is somewhat limited for its size. However, what is there is solid and well built. I was very surprised that the tools actually have an effective locking mechanism.  It is an old design..but for once, it really locks down on the tools. One major issue with the operation of the Trek Tool is the requirement to swing another tool 90 degrees to unlock any locked tools. On my specimen, there was no way that I could force a locked tool to unlock otherwise.  On the up side, no worries of a tool letting go and diving for the fingers. On the downside, it takes some time and effort to unlock them.

On one side, we have:
 - A nice blade that is serrated for half its length.
- A combo can and bottle opener.
- A needle hole punch.
- A chisel/scrapper (too sharp to be used as a flat head screwdriver)
- A saw.

On the other handle, we have:
-   A two sided file.
-   A magnetic ¼” drive bit adapter.

The Trek Tool comes in a nice nylon sheath with a separate storage area for the 12 bits that come with the kit. The assortment consists of flat, phillip, torx and hex bits.
The Trek Tool is a lot of bang for the buck. Not only is it a nice hefty piece with fairly large tools that don’t feel cheap. The handles have rounded edges, meaning no sharp edges to dig into the palm. They are very comfortable to use.

CONCLUSION:
A cheaply priced and solid piece of gear that I wouldn’t mind bringing with me into the bush. The solidity and quality gives confidence that it won’t fail when you need it the most. The swirl brush finish is unique and eye catching. Does it replace a much better quality and far more expensive multi-tool? No. However, it comes awfully close. This is the multi tool for someone who wants a big heavy duty tool for not much money. Also, if your looking for a serious pair of pliers that will open on their own when you use them...this is the tool for you. For me, it gets a spot in my collection.

PROS:
-   Price.
-   Quality.
-   Solid construction giving the user confidence in being able to get the job done with the tool at hand.
-   Best locking tools that I have seen for its antiquated design.
-   Interesting mix of folding tools.
-   Spring loaded pliers.
-   You won’t get any sore hands from sharp sheet metal when using the pliers on this tool.
CONS:
-   Size, weight.
-   Spring loaded pliers.
-   Missing scissors.
-   Drive bit adapter takes too much room.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Outdoor Edge Trek Tool.
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 02:56:17 AM
Nice review Chako :tu: Great write-up and nice pics :cheers: The Trek Tool is less likely to just be passed over by me now if I ever cross 1 ;) :D

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 03:07:13 AM
Well thought out reviewand keep them coming but I have some thoughts:

I have owned numerous of these chinese made multi's and they can be a great value for fishing tackle boxes and to be stored in cars.  Also they make great beaters for those jobs that you know before hand will abuse your multi.

The apparent value in really cheap tools can be misleading however.  I once bought 6 chinese made Leatherman Supertool knockoffs at $10 each because I didn't want to spend $70 plus for a real supertool.  I thought it was a great deal,and they were nicely made, but I couldn't tell you where even one of them is today.  Most of them literally fell apart for lack of loctite applied to the retaining screws.

I like the fullsize bit driver on these tool.  The trade off in lost space just makes them not worth it.

I find the best part about these cheapies is to buy one, disassemble it, and then give it the TLC it didn't get at the factory and make it a better tool.  They are  great for practicing mods.

Again, thanks for the write up.

:)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 03:29:38 AM
You raise a good point. However, this guy is riveted solid from what I can tell.

The only issue I could see from hard use is the failure of the antiquated locking feature. From past experiences with this type of locking mechanism...the metal gets fatigues and it loosens over time. Mind you, I have never seen one that is so strong and tenacious as what is on this piece. I figure it might take a long time for this to happen. Longer then what the tool is worth I reckon.

It is a cheapy. But one that gave me a pleasant surprise. Not all tools made in China are cheaply made.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 04:03:50 AM
It is a cheapy. But one that gave me a pleasant surprise. Not all tools made in China are cheaply made.

I certainly didn't intend to insinuate that all chinese tools were cheaply made.

My point was more along the lines that even cheaply made tools can still have value.

Again, great post.
:)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 04:05:25 AM

I certainly didn't intend to insinuate that all chinese tools were cheaply made.

My point was more along the lines that even cheaply made tools can still have value.

Again, great post.

Yah, good one Chako! :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 06:51:50 AM
Great review there mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 08:17:02 AM
Nice review Chako. One good thing to know is that 1/4 bit driver works in a Powerlock.
"

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 11:33:59 AM
It's good to see something a little different.
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD