Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What Did You Use Your Multitool For Today?

Blackbeard · 5824 · 437076

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Re: What Did You Use Your Multitool For Today?
Reply #5640 on: December 19, 2019, 02:00:52 PM
  Earlier method did not work out so well as the coping saw blade was too tall to fit in the small grooves. So... dug out the Dremel tool and put on a fiberglass cut-off wheel. Reduced the height of the coping saw blade I had on hand, then used the flat side to make more uniform.

Anticipation was getting to me, and had the LED Lenser H7R.2 on the charger from earlier. Nothing more annoying than an intermittently flashing LED light when it is needed. <insert Grr emote>

So this took a few tries, maybe 4 or 5. Used the Crunch to get on the other end and I had to tug, wiggle, and pull. While using needle nosed pliers to keep the key protector open to see what was going on.

Then... PLOINK! Out came the key and fell onto the driveway. That was WAAAAY EASIER than I thought it would be! :woohoo:

And here's the broken key part that broke inside. Brought it indoors cause it was still snowing outside.

Thus, the early morning 'broken in the door' key removal tools. :D

« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 02:21:22 PM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #5641 on: December 19, 2019, 02:04:31 PM
Nice work  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

Reply #5642 on: December 19, 2019, 02:24:53 PM
Nice work  :like: :tu:

Thanks. Had tried with pins dipped in silicone sealant to friction pull the broken key out to no avail. Was using name tag wires with the ends bent to use as picks, but it got too cold to try. Then was reviewing video I posted again, looked online for other tools, when the idea stuck me to reduce the size of the blade. Did not need that much blade, obviously, and was surprised when the key flew out of the lock! Was so relieved as well. Bedtime now. :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #5643 on: December 19, 2019, 03:31:43 PM
I bet you were well happy when
the key finally come out off the lock :woohoo:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5644 on: December 19, 2019, 04:41:19 PM
 :iagree: :cheers:

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #5645 on: December 27, 2019, 11:20:41 PM
  Earlier method did not work out so well as the coping saw blade was too tall to fit in the small grooves. So... dug out the Dremel tool and put on a fiberglass cut-off wheel. Reduced the height of the coping saw blade I had on hand, then used the flat side to make more uniform.

(Image removed from quote.)

Anticipation was getting to me, and had the LED Lenser H7R.2 on the charger from earlier. Nothing more annoying than an intermittently flashing LED light when it is needed. <insert Grr emote>

So this took a few tries, maybe 4 or 5. Used the Crunch to get on the other end and I had to tug, wiggle, and pull. While using needle nosed pliers to keep the key protector open to see what was going on.

Then... PLOINK! Out came the key and fell onto the driveway. That was WAAAAY EASIER than I thought it would be! :woohoo:

And here's the broken key part that broke inside. Brought it indoors cause it was still snowing outside.

Taking the interior panel off a door is rather easy once you know how, everybody seems to think it's rocket surgery.  I would have just taken the lock off the door and fixed the problem on the workbench.  Well it is always good to know there is one more way to skin a cat. 
Now wrestling a power window regulator in and out that can be awkward, faster with practice, but still awkward.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #5646 on: October 04, 2020, 08:13:13 PM
Two MT’s saved the morning for our dogs. Namely the Gerber MP400 and the Vic classic.

We went for a walk to the woods. After a while one of the dogs lifted her paw and looked at me. That is her telling me “Human get over here and fix my paw”. Turns out the tip of one of her nails was broken and poked her pads. I guess you could compare that to humans having a small rock in their boot. Not hurtful, but annoying as hell. I grabbed the Gerber and used the wirecutters to clip the torn part. She was pretty happy after  :)

Of course we checked and trimmed the rest of her nails when we came home. They were not really long, so not sure why it happened in the first place.  :think:

We continued the walk and about five minutes later the other dog stepped into some prickly. With their curly hair, that stuff gets embedded quickly. So I got another look, asking for assistance. I checked the paw and turns out he had two of those prickly things between his pads. MP400 pliers removed these in no time, but a few thorns were being stuck in his pads. Out came the tweezers of the classic and fixed that problem.

Two tools in use, two happy puppies  :D

us Offline PeaceInOurTime

Reply #5647 on: October 05, 2020, 01:08:59 AM

:tu: @SirVicaLot  :like:

I just used the large screw driver and tweezers on my Vic Camper to remove the back plate of my phone and extracted the SIM card.

us Online cody6268

Reply #5648 on: October 24, 2020, 03:42:57 PM
I used the locking caplifter on my Mikov Praktik (basically like a Centurion/Adventurer without anything on the back) to pry off the cover to the flourescent light in my room so I could get the types off the bulbs.  Found they were even less than half what Lowe's asked at the electrical supply house ($10 for all four bulbs, vs. $15 for two at Lowe's), but I have to special order them to be shipped to the local warehouse, since they do not carry them in store. Thus, it's gonna be a while.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 03:56:34 PM by cody6268 »

Offline dmattaponi

Reply #5649 on: October 25, 2020, 02:54:47 AM
Taking down a curtain rod, and cutting and bending some wire to hang a wreath.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #5650 on: November 01, 2020, 03:09:03 PM
The good

Show content

We spent some amazing time in the woods gathering mushrooms yesterday. I used Work Champ and handed a LM Signal with a brand new never used before factory sharped blade to my lady

Also used scissors to open a new pack of zesty Carpathian  herbal tea

The bad
Show content
After cutting a few shrooms the blade on a Work Champ stopped being shaving sharp - fixed really quick today, but to me shrooms are a pretty soft substance that shouldn’t affect sharpness that fast

The ugly
Show content

It was a rainy day, so i just wiped both blades with my sweatshirt and put back in their sheaths.

Today I’ve also discovered some rust stains on a Signal blade

Cleaned easily with Ballistol and a piece of cloth, still I find it pretty disappointing

Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

us Online cody6268

Reply #5651 on: November 29, 2020, 04:14:47 AM
The good

Show content

We spent some amazing time in the woods gathering mushrooms yesterday. I used Work Champ and handed a LM Signal with a brand new never used before factory sharped blade to my lady

Also used scissors to open a new pack of zesty Carpathian  herbal tea

The bad
Show content
After cutting a few shrooms the blade on a Work Champ stopped being shaving sharp - fixed really quick today, but to me shrooms are a pretty soft substance that shouldn’t affect sharpness that fast

The ugly
Show content

It was a rainy day, so i just wiped both blades with my sweatshirt and put back in their sheaths.

Today I’ve also discovered some rust stains on a Signal blade

Cleaned easily with Ballistol and a piece of cloth, still I find it pretty disappointing

LMs, especially bead blast models, rust easily because of the high carbon content of the steel (which isn't a bad thing if you ask me).  I cleaned my ST300, let it air dry about an hour or two; and then when I came back, there was rust stains all over the tools, the blades especially.

Offline War_Wagon312

Reply #5652 on: November 30, 2020, 05:22:42 AM
 :like:

Nice!

Offline War_Wagon312

Reply #5653 on: November 30, 2020, 05:23:32 AM
 :rofl:
I used the Centerdrive Today to remove the intake wall plate from a Central Vac system in a huge house.
Then I grabbed a non-conductive fish tape and reamed the pipe in the wall for a few hours attempting to dislodge a blockage of some kind.
I closed the connections with the pliers to make the vac turn on with no hose attached to test the reaming?
I then took a Shop Vac to the thing and alternated between sucking with the shop vac and blowing with the central vac trying to move the blockage in either direction even a little bit!
After about 45 minutes of this I was able to grab and extract some kind of furry beast with the CD Pliers thus restoring the inlet to working!!!

I am not a Vac technician. :dunno:
Hahah

Offline War_Wagon312

Reply #5654 on: November 30, 2020, 05:24:08 AM
 :multi:
Various gardening duties for the surge.  The vic saw is better than the standard leatherman saw for cutting bamboo canes

I like it

Offline War_Wagon312

Reply #5655 on: November 30, 2020, 05:25:20 AM
Diesel & Bullrush helped to install e-track in the truck. (Along with power tools)

I like those

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #5656 on: December 02, 2020, 11:17:24 AM
The power went out and I got bored...so I made a bunch of cut-out minis.
These are made from foam foodservice trays my wife uses as paint pallets. Most of the cutting was done with a stanley box cutter or the minichamp's tiny scissors for some trimming. The paint is kinda kids story book because I was using junk craft paints, an old brush and toothpicks. But not bieng a mini builder I will take the pop-up book look as a win.
20201202_035326-1_copy_1057x1183.jpg
* 20201202_035326-1_copy_1057x1183.jpg (Filesize: 275.16 KB)
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5657 on: December 02, 2020, 01:44:58 PM

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #5658 on: December 09, 2020, 05:10:20 AM
Haven't used my Spirit lately for anything.  :think:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Reply #5659 on: January 03, 2022, 10:12:14 PM
  Well... door freeze caught my attention recently. More so on closer inspection, and after hearing LOUD CRACKS emanating from my car!  :ahhh

Like yesterday, went to get some grub. Door was being a pain again, but got inside using my trusty Victorinox Spirit using an awlsome method.

But when I tried opening the back passenger door, the door lock kept closing with each lift of the handle. Jarred the door A WHOLE LOT MORE all around, finally heard this LOUD CRACK! The door opened!
  Sure enough... snow that has melted went down the back area, between the metal pieces, stopping short of the door lock. The entire area was jam-filled with ice. Did not get a photo of that though. But it gave me a hint. Got groceries in.
  Looked around on the main door. Right there, a HUGE AREA of ice on the lower front end of the door, under the hinges!

Used the Spirit's Bottle Opener Screwdriver as an ice pick and freed up that area of accumulated ice. Water is getting inside those areas where the metal has no seals, then freezing. Something that probably plagues all vehicles. Another reason to carry a multitool. Think outside the box.

PS: If you think Super Glue is tough, frozen ice is far worse. :rofl:

* IcedDoorCollage.jpg (Filesize: 387.62 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #5660 on: January 08, 2022, 07:39:26 PM
Opened a bottle last night and stirred my coffee this morning  :)

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #5661 on: January 08, 2022, 08:51:06 PM
Opened a bottle last night...
Awlways a good use!
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

Reply #5662 on: January 09, 2022, 01:02:09 AM

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #5663 on: January 10, 2022, 05:51:25 AM
Used the scissors on my Spirit to cut tags off Mrs. TJs new purse.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Reply #5664 on: January 10, 2022, 10:15:49 AM
  Used Spirit's philips and pliers to reposition a few solar deck lights around to gain better southern exposure. Helps when backing in the driveway at night. Ordered another solar light that had its own unque design. Will see how that goes.

Cut the end straw on a new 40 oz. water bottle. It was just a tad too long making it difficult to use the internal straw feature. Shaved off a tad with the serrated knife blade. Works MUCH better now. :D

And been using the Lman Pump single-piece tool to help open the car door handle. When it got to 7 below the outer door handle snapped off. Dern door was frozen to the body. Usually it is an internal lever that always breaks in the winter. Seems I am always buying these every year... if only a manufacturer would make these out of aluminum! I know, cause they make more by making them out of cheap plastic. Still annoying as all heck and more difficult to replace when it's freaking cold outside!
  So I slide the flat tapered portion between the door handle seal and the inner door grabber to gentle up the door. This one-piece tool helps in that it has more wider support for the hand. Have a clip I carry it on a key loop, so it is always handy - unless I leave it inside the car. /grr
  Was using the Spirit's Awl or Bottle Opener part to open the door initially. The tapered Pump tool seems to get in, under, and behind the door grabber backing better. :tu:

Am always using the Spirit for various stuff around the house, or poking holes in small dinners to nuke in the microwave. Originally bought the Spirit so I could send the Spirit X in for a custom sheath. But side the Spirit's velcro sheath seems more rugged than the leather sheath I put the custom leather sheath off for a while.

Only thing I wished the Victorinox Spirit had was a place to put small tweezers inside ... and a Fisher Space Pen cartridge compatible tool part to use when I forget to clip the Fisher Backpacker on my shirt. Them pen cartridges write oh so much better! :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #5665 on: January 14, 2022, 12:21:57 AM
Surge screw drivers helped remove an old storm door handle, blade opened the packing for the new handle, and drivers helped install the new (horrid quality) one. Cap lifter opened a bottle afterwards, and the blade stirred my coffee a few minutes ago  :D

Reply #5666 on: January 14, 2022, 12:44:56 AM
  Door handle replacement for the Suzuki. The roughest part overall was getting the rod keeper's clasp over the lock rod - in the cold. /brr
  Used the Spirit to do most everything, save snapping that stubborn clasp over the rod. Ended up using a 14mm wrench as it had the right length and was wide enough to get pressure in the right place. All the screws, removing the electrical door console, the works done by that Spirit. :D

Oh, and having to work with a mirror makes things more challenging. Swear I need a smaller round mirror with a magnetic mount with a goose-neck for positioning. :ahhh  Have been using an old Oldsmobile clip-on mirror for this type of stuff, and for use in home repairs too.

* IMG_E4130.jpg (Filesize: 138.15 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #5667 on: January 15, 2022, 03:01:59 PM

Nice work Outback  :tu:

19°F here in Kansas. Used the Eat'N Tool to pry open my iced-over truck door and stir my coffee this morning  :)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #5668 on: January 19, 2022, 10:28:57 AM
Komboloi repair is a complex task. I use my EDC Vic and LM, plus 2 EDC slacking needles and a Crunch as a 3rd hand.

Στάλθηκε από το MAR-LX1A μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #5669 on: January 19, 2022, 02:41:02 PM
It was very hard to pass the double cord through two of the beads and, guess what? Uncle Def's Ultra Premium Tool Oil saved me!
I also removed rust from my Charge with it (I never had to do that with a Swiss item).
I finished by applying bee wax ointment to the cord, for smoothness, waterproofness and protection.
I wonder if that would be a good idea for preventing rust in Leatherman tools.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%