Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PowerPlier Mod.

Offline Nutznboltz

PowerPlier Mod.
on: August 31, 2009, 03:52:45 AM
Since its introduction the Sog PowerPlier has been one of my favorite multi-tools, compound leverage, swappable components and a robust plier head makes it a winner in my book.  It has been one of my constant edc's for more than a decade at both work and play.  The only drawbacks to this excellent tool are the non-locking tools and uncomfortable handles which were common not only to the PowerPlier but other multi's of its day. 
At first I didn't mind the uncomfortable handles, when needed, I would use a rag or gloves but as newer more ergonomic multi's became available I knew my PowerPlier needed a serious update if it was to continue as my number 1 tool.  Upgrading components to suit my needs was easy and I've probably swapped out and re-arranged them more than a dozen times already.  Non locking components have never been an issue for me, as with any tool you learn to adapt to, and accept it's limitations.  If I really need locking blades there are other multi's I can reach for, the one issue I seriously wanted to address was the handles.  My prayers were answered when Sog introduced handle covers for the PowerLock series.  Though there is a love/hate relationship with these covers, I for one love them.  The added comfort imo more than makes up for the inconvienence of the additional 2 seconds it takes to open and close them.   A handle covers mod for the PowerPlier was now in sight.
After half a day in the basement shop and some patience and persistence with a dremel and drill press.... here are the glorious results....

These are standard PowerLock handle covers which I dremelled to open up the slot to accomodate the wider flat nose of the PowerPlier.
As the handle material on the PowerLock's are a little thicker than the older PowerPlier's, the cover does not fit snugly.  I had to add a small magnet to the inside of the cover to prevent them from flopping around during one handed opening and closing of the multi-tool.
The covers were then finished off with some 1500 wet/dry paper to give them a more polished look to match the PowerPlier.

This mod was completed a couple of weeks ago, this PowerPlier has since accompanied me on a camping trip to Algonquin Park Canada as well as perform multiple tasks at home and I'm glad to report that other than having to replace one of the magnets which fell off, the tool has performed wonderfully. :tu:

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Re: PowerPlier Mod.
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 03:59:09 AM
WHOA! That's an awesome mod, NutznBoltz!  It looks professionally done.  Superb review and pics.  :tu:  I'm tempted to get a PowerPlier and try this mod out now...
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 06:56:21 AM
great mod man :tu: and cool shots too....the powerplier is on my list(like a lot of things lately :cry: )
A

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 12:27:18 PM
Nice work  :tu:
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 12:48:22 PM
Top job mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 12:49:54 PM
Nice Job!
[

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 03:15:33 PM
Very nicely done. :salute:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline Nutznboltz

Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 04:07:08 AM
Thanks guys for the kind words,  I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

Clios, Pyro,
good luck trying to find one, the PowerPliers are somewhat hard to come by now.  But if you can get one this mod is rather easy to do, just some patience.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 04:26:47 AM
Looks great! 
[

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 04:29:31 AM
Thats a beautiful mod, nicely done!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 04:29:48 AM
Very professional looking job NnB! :tu:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%