Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A weird thing about MTs/SAKs prices in the US...

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Re: A weird thing about MTs/SAKs prices in the US...
Reply #30 on: September 22, 2009, 10:21:01 PM
So, these MT's and SAK prices then...  :pok:
They're kinda... :think: high here in Europe, don't you think...  :P  ;)

Oh, that'll be because Americans are idiots :D

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #31 on: September 22, 2009, 10:53:45 PM
Oh, that'll be because Americans are idiots
I know, damn us and our desire to save money so we can feed our children. How thoughtless of us.

Anyway, I am sorry for the thread drift. I will say no more. except this....

Mint chocolate chip.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #32 on: September 22, 2009, 10:59:10 PM
 :rofl:
I used to come here a lot.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #33 on: September 22, 2009, 11:04:53 PM
DTH..:  :tu: 

:D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #34 on: September 23, 2009, 01:01:28 AM
 :rofl:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #35 on: September 23, 2009, 01:29:06 AM
Oh, that'll be because Americans are idiots
I know, damn us and our desire to save money so we can feed our children. How thoughtless of us.

Anyway, I am sorry for the thread drift. I will say no more. except this....

Mint chocolate chip.

Damn you, DTH!!!  Not only did you continue to hijack this thread away from the OP, you had to friggin mention Mint Chocolate chip, didn't you!!  Now I WANT some mint chocolate chip!!!!  Ugh!!   :ahhh

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #36 on: September 23, 2009, 02:35:29 AM
Speaking of mint chocolate chip, the question of why the prices in the US alre lower than just about everywhere else is like the question of how they get that caramel filling into the Caramilk bar. I don't really care (even though I know how), I just enjoy it. Same with buying my SAKs from Felivnevet! :D
-------
Alexei

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #37 on: September 23, 2009, 03:13:50 PM
I tend to agree with ALP on the taxes comment. We get to pay a 19%-20% VAT on tools and the like, which is however subtracted when these items are sold to people outside the EU. There are ways to legally avoid that taxation but you have to search around for sellers knowing their stuff. That said, with taxes out of the way, a Spirit X bought in the States plus shipping/handling to Greece costs the same as a Spirit X bought from Germany (w/ free shipping inside the EU). Buying from downtown stores is a completely different story, though... :-\

Offline ausjulius

• were in dagestan , and make knives ..
Reply #38 on: October 24, 2009, 06:38:55 AM
i hasnt so much to to specificaly with the market size..
it is to do with the retailer and the price he sells at
in europe and the more developed parts of asia most retailers  seel their products for the reccomended retail prices as stipulated by the producer and their distributor ,
plus any sales tax that may be applied,
if a retailer or a group of retailers, for no specific reason starts to slash their product prices and continues to do so then then will attract the attention of other retailers who will contact the distributor and the producers , who will then contact the retailer and warn them to maintain a recomended retail prices with a basic variation of +/- 15% .. to maintain fair competition ,
if the retailer cannot for any good reason state  why they continue to slash their stock prices far below other retailers of the same products, and they have no over stock , then if the other retailers lobby that specific retailer can have their right to sell this product removes,
all over europe their is various small business associations and retailers associations that regulate this type of acts among them selves.,
and because of it  the prices are typicaly at the recormended retail price, and sometimes even well above  if they have a "fancy" or "exclusive" shop,  n germany and france you can see this alot..
also wages are much  higher  in northen europe than in the u.s.  some places like sweeden and norway it can be 2 x higher for some basic service jobs. as is tax.. so profit margins must be maintained.. business is more familiar and you have a reputation in the town or city or village  to maintain among your clients and other businesses  ( south europe and central eastern europe is well lower than the u.s. in income, but ive always found italy prices for all things. )

on top of that in the u.s. there is more people as a whole,,, and so you have more customers. not just the shops but also the distributors, who can then give better discounts to the retailers as they have a larger turnover of stock ,
on top of that,, the americans , canadians and some south ameircan nations do not show the sales taxe on their priducts, and it can vary from state to state and county to county and be different depending on what product your buying, none have as high as europes 19% but it is still there and it is not to be seen untill you buy the item..
czech republic is very cheap for knives, i think it is because most distributors are new,  only the last 18 years,, and so there is  a lot of competition, also czechs like to buy knives.. and  they have no laws on knives., personel protection devices,, and very good gun laws. one of the few countries concealed carry is allowed without specific permission ... so more poeple buying knives...

france , they like french knives.. and there is a lot of shops selling them... but i guess they are no cheap and the same knives can be had in the u.s. for about the same prices..
i guess there is an estabilished culture in france that "french quality is better and you should pay more" ect ect..

remember the recomended retail for some knives is crazy , the sog bowie is 260$ us.... but there is not many shops that will sell if for this price.

m

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #39 on: October 24, 2009, 02:46:26 PM

PS I was serious about the 'brother' thing; and yet, we can place orders on eBay and be fair to our friends in the US as well... by sending them good old food from Europe. I'll take care of pizza, pasta, mozzarella and wine. You take care of the english stuff, and we'll all be even!  8)

Yes, please!  The US needs mushy peas!!!  :D
- Terry

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: October 24, 2009, 08:15:54 PM

PS I was serious about the 'brother' thing; and yet, we can place orders on eBay and be fair to our friends in the US as well... by sending them good old food from Europe. I'll take care of pizza, pasta, mozzarella and wine. You take care of the english stuff, and we'll all be even!  8)

Yes, please!  The US needs mushy peas!!!  :D

:o You don't have mushy peas!?

Oh my
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD
26%