Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How are the Swiss military carrying the new Soldiers ?

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
How are the Swiss military carrying the new Soldiers ?
on: October 13, 2009, 02:28:16 AM
Def. posted that it was customary to carry the Alox Soldiers in the breast pocket . What are they doing with the new ones ? I usually carry my Alox SAK's in the left document pocket of my 5-11 shirts , quite comfortable and handy .

Chris

00 Offline 1jump2many

Re: How are the Swiss military carrying the new Soldiers ?
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 04:50:09 AM
Where a soldier carries a knife has more to do with what it's intended use is and what equipment they are wearing.  Years ago when I was in the Army it wasn't a good idea to carry a knife in either top pocket of your BDU "blouse"  Your LBE straps would obstruct the pockets.  I was Airborne and the harness, reserve and rucksack would pretty much make all the pockets on your BDU blouse useless.  We jumped with a Camillus fixed blade knife that we used to strap on our lower leg in case we needed to cut anything.  I carried an SAK for a couple of those years and carried it in my right BDU trouser pocket.  I imagine with the body armour that troops wear today, they aren't carrying anything they need in a hurry on the front pockets of the ACU blouse either.  I would bet the Swiss carry their Soldier in a cargo pocket on the leg of their trousers.  Just a guess though.

1Jump2Many
[

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 05:30:29 AM
Probably clipped to one of their pockets.

oh, wait...

:P

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 06:05:48 AM
The beast needs a clip in the worst way .

Chris

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 08:34:26 AM
The beast needs a clip in the worst way .

Chris

Soldiers would only bend it  ::) The knives have to be soldier proof  :D

Dunc

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 05:51:43 PM
The BO Spirit X CC's come with a low-IR molle sheath. Perhaps Swiss soldiers get such sheaths for their knives as well? :think:

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 10:36:14 PM
The BO Spirit X CC's come with a low-IR molle sheath. Perhaps Swiss soldiers get such sheaths for their knives as well? :think:

I don't know but that makes sense  :tu:
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 02:39:41 AM
That would make way too much sence !

Chris

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 10:07:50 PM
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 10:15:04 PM
Hey, welcome Guardian. :cheers:

That is/looks-like exactly the same sheath used for the BO-CC-X Spirit. IIRC +B was ranting about these being made in China or something... :-\ FWIW I haven't used mine much but it looks of quite decent construction.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 11:40:52 PM
I like the look of those, not that I ever use sheaths!

Welcome to MTO Guardian  :cheers:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 11:57:52 PM

???
custom swiss army knives

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 02:11:27 AM
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 05:13:32 AM
Thanks for the info Guardian , and welcome !

Chris

us Offline bren10man

Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 07:01:41 PM
Where a soldier carries a knife has more to do with what it's intended use is and what equipment they are wearing.  Years ago when I was in the Army it wasn't a good idea to carry a knife in either top pocket of your BDU "blouse"  Your LBE straps would obstruct the pockets.  I was Airborne and the harness, reserve and rucksack would pretty much make all the pockets on your BDU blouse useless.  We jumped with a Camillus fixed blade knife that we used to strap on our lower leg in case we needed to cut anything.  I carried an SAK for a couple of those years and carried it in my right BDU trouser pocket.  I imagine with the body armour that troops wear today, they aren't carrying anything they need in a hurry on the front pockets of the ACU blouse either.  I would bet the Swiss carry their Soldier in a cargo pocket on the leg of their trousers.  Just a guess though.

1Jump2Many

Well, I am active duty US Army...and I have always carried a SAK with me on and off duty.   I use a bought at the PX a Brigade Quartermaster 3-way pouch (large size) to carry my Champion on my ACU (and used to BDU) pants belt.  For the 08 pattern Soldier, I carry it in a MOLLE pouch ACU pattern that I bough at the PX.  We have lower pants pockets on both left and right pants legs.  My boss (our battalion commander) carries his OHO knife there, because I see the clip sticking outside the pocket.   With the MOLLE system we use now, the places is endless to carry anything: pants belt, body armor, MOLLE vest, etc.  We no longer use the pistol belt.  MLLE replaced that.
MOLON LABE!

us Offline bren10man

Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 07:06:09 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

???

MMMMMM....SIG 550.....me wants, but I do not have $12K to blow on one....and that was the sticker price for the last one I saw for sale in person 10 years ago at a gunshop in Austin, TX.  The Semi-auto only version was banned from US importation in 1989, along with: Steyr AUG, HK90-series, FN FAL, etc. 
MOLON LABE!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 06:14:15 AM
MMMMMM....SIG 550.....me wants, but I do not have $12K to blow on one....and that was the sticker price for the last one I saw for sale in person 10 years ago at a gunshop in Austin, TX.  The Semi-auto only version was banned from US importation in 1989, along with: Steyr AUG, HK90-series, FN FAL, etc. 

Yeah, but the 556 Classic is fairly readily available for around $2000.  Basically a 550 that takes AR-15 magazines.
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 12, 2010, 02:16:50 PM

Yeah, but the 556 Classic is fairly readily available for around $2000.  Basically a 550 that takes AR-15 magazines.

Another rifle that take an AR-16/M-16/M-4 magazine!!

The conspiracy thickens!!! :ahhh
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Offline Ben X

Reply #19 on: June 12, 2010, 09:33:42 PM
Yeah it was part of the original contract that the new knife had to have a phillips blade, locking main blade, a saw, and a pouch. Must've had a lot of guys losing them, or they knew the 111mm would absolutely call for a pouch because of the size.
"

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 10:08:50 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys :). I have one of the cases. It is very well made and is marked up 'Victorinox' on the front. There is nothing showing 'Made in China' anywhere!!!
On the subject of cases, the Dutch Army supplied one for their troops to carry their DAK Centurion model in and i believe that the German Army have one also; http://www.militaer-outdoor.de/shop/Military-outdoor-Bags-Backpack/Military-outdoor-Bags/knife-bags/Army-pocket-knife::47388.html
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 11:50:40 PM
I have a pair of sheaths from Victorinox that say Made in China on them, though they're for 91mm + flashlight combos. :/

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 09:44:25 PM

???

Is is just me or does it seem that Soldier needs to ramp up his Physical Training?  With arms that scrawny he had better be able to shoot straight and not run out of ammo.   :D 
[

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 01:48:19 AM

???

Is is just me or does it seem that Soldier needs to ramp up his Physical Training?  With arms that scrawny he had better be able to shoot straight and not run out of ammo.   :D  

Never underestimate them Swiss grunts.  Word on the street is the whimpy looking soldiers are the ones that could/would mop the floor with you!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 02:06:04 AM by BIG-TARGET »

us Offline bren10man

Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 06:15:40 PM

Thumbs down on the 556.  I have seen them, they came out right before I shipped out to Korea 3 years ago.  I saw them again in 2008 and 2009 when home on leave in the summer.  What folks wanted was a U.S. made 550, and SIG dropped that ball.   Heck, parts kits are available to retrofit a 556 into as close to a 550/551 as you can, like say an HK SL-8 into a G-36 replica.  However, not the same.  I am just happy I have: 2x M1A (M14), 2x M1 Garand, 1x M1 Carbine, 2x AR15 (one in A4 config w/ HBAR, other an M4 style, both Colt), 1x HK-91 (G3, and a pre-ban IB/1981 West German made gun), and STG-556 (U.S. made Steyr AUG).

In 7 days and 1 wake up, I will be back home and will get to play with them to my heart's content!!!!
MOLON LABE!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 11:05:04 PM

1Jump2Many

If it was socially acceptable I would wear black fatigues with a molle leg platform all the time.  I find that civilian clothes are so restrictive when it comes to being prepared.  My work uniform is ridiculous.  I am the Transportation Supervisor for my Resort, but the owners want all managers to look like their subordinates so it looks like we have more staff on duty, therefor I look like a friggin Bellman.  I don't ever do any Bell runs, and I valet the occasional car, but for the most part I am in charge of overseeing operations and ensuring the Fleet of buses and Escalades are running properly and looking good.  I NEED my Multitool, but due to my stupid uniform I have to carry a kick(my least favorite), instead of the Charge or ST300 that I should be carrying.  I have to carry my flashlight in a belt pouch that is on my belt at the small of my back because it pushes my shirt out anywhere else.  My OH blade is clipped next to my wallet in my RRP.  It isn't very comfortable but I don't have any other place to carry it.

Well, I am active duty US Army...and I have always carried a SAK with me on and off duty.   I use a bought at the PX a Brigade Quartermaster 3-way pouch (large size) to carry my Champion on my ACU (and used to BDU) pants belt.  For the 08 pattern Soldier, I carry it in a MOLLE pouch ACU pattern that I bough at the PX.  We have lower pants pockets on both left and right pants legs.  My boss (our battalion commander) carries his OHO knife there, because I see the clip sticking outside the pocket.   With the MOLLE system we use now, the places is endless to carry anything: pants belt, body armor, MOLLE vest, etc.  We no longer use the pistol belt.  MLLE replaced that.

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #26 on: July 18, 2010, 08:29:30 PM
Is is just me or does it seem that Soldier needs to ramp up his Physical Training?  With arms that scrawny he had better be able to shoot straight and not run out of ammo.   :D  

Never underestimate them Swiss grunts.  Word on the street is the whimpy looking soldiers are the ones that could/would mop the floor with you!

:rofl:  I think that would be a chance I'd have to take.  I spent over 8 years as a US Army Paratrooper and in those years trained with units from many different NATO countries.  Trained with them, drank with them and even fought with some of them.  Never got "mopped" up by any of them though.   :rofl:
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD