Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Computer question

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Computer question
on: November 22, 2009, 03:53:06 AM
Anyone know if I can plug my Dell laptop into my TV to play movies? I have a couple downloaded and want to watch them thru the TV.

Thanks

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Computer question
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 03:55:33 AM
All you need is the proper connector, but I'm unfamiliar with the actual name.  Plus, it'll depend on if the TV has the proper input, too.

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 04:04:00 AM
Yeah not sure what is what? All I have is RCA jacks on the TV.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 04:05:32 AM
S-video most likely... or HDMI... some televisions have RGB (standard monitor input).

« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 04:14:25 AM by Freudian Frog »
Got those frog legs.

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 04:43:11 AM
Is there a cable that has s video and a jack for my computer?

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 04:53:01 AM
Naw, if your computer doesn't have S-Video or HDMI, and your TV doesn't support RGB, you're out of luck. :D
Got those frog legs.

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 04:59:48 AM
DAMN........well it was worth a shot

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 08:49:03 AM
There are adaptors and connectors that you could use to make them work with eachother- your best bet is to visit a local stereo/TV/Home theater shop and see what they suggest.  Go to a local place with a good rep rather than a Best Buy if you can.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 09:55:54 AM
There are loads of possibilities... back in the late 90s I had a box that allowed me to output VGA feeds to my TV (Grant will remember this well I'm sure)

If all you have on your TV is RCA, that's not really an issue, there are cables that will convert the S-video to RCA (most of my last few video cards came with this cable) then all you need is an audio cable, which will be minijack (headphone) to RCA

Over here in Europe I have a "PC to TV" cable kit which is a Euroconnector (these things are crazy!) with an RCA or S-video cable plug for video, and the two normal RCAs for the audio feed. I use a S-video from my PC to that, and the minijack to dual RCA for the audio and it's all good. My video card also has an RCA video output, however the quality is not as good as the s-video. I also tend to run the audio to my Stereo rather than the TV ( 5.1 surround is better than stereo :D )

One major thing to remember is that if you're outputing to an older CRT TV you probably won't be able to run a resolution above 800x600, in some cases 640x480 is the max you can do... really depends on the TV.

More modern PCs and LCD/Plasma TVs will have HDMI as mentioned, which makes life a lot easier. A lot of new LCD TVs also have VGA inputs like older Computer monitors.

The model numbers of your gear would help to be able to tell you what the best option for you is.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 10:00:55 AM
Basically what they said is, "Give up all hope ye, and despair... then buy a new laptop." :P
Got those frog legs.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 12:15:38 PM
no, I didn't.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 03:32:59 PM
There are plenty of devices that will convert the VGA output from your laptop to a composite or S-video output, but frankly you probably won't be happy with the resulting image quality.  This depends on the quality or the original encode, the quality of the converter and the quality of the TV itself.  

If you are really interested in making this happen post the model number of your laptop, so I can see what available ports it has, and the model number of your TV, so I can see what available video inputs you have.

You also have another approach to consider, there are standalone DVD players that natively support DVIX/XVID and depending on the model you get some even have a USB port on the front of the player to play media from a thumb drive. 

I purchased a Philips DVP5992 from Best Buy on sale for $40+tax and it will do what you need depending on what encode type the original files used, they can be converted from one format to another if the player doesn't support the video file.  These players will also play MP3's and jpegs.  Also, Black Friday is coming soon so you can get some great deals.

Go to http://www.videohelp.com/ for more information on format conversion, it's a great site.

You also have the option to burn the movie files to the DVD format that all standalone DVD players support, or you could burn them to VCD's.

I'm not sure how much time/money you want to invest in this but it can be done.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 03:34:53 PM by Crouton »
:)

00 Offline RaptorMan

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 03:59:41 AM
Thanks for the help. I just went the way off burning them to DVDs. I was concerned doing that if I would be able to play them but they worked fine.

Thanks again

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD