Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Juice= junk?

Singh · 38 · 3701

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Re: Juice= junk?
Reply #30 on: November 13, 2009, 01:08:32 AM
These are observations made based on my xe-6 and compared with my other multis, not a subjective opinion. Simply put, it is not on a par with other leatherman, Victorinox, Sog and Gerber multis in the same price range.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #31 on: November 13, 2009, 01:17:23 AM
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree there BB :tu:

I could understand that the pliers are too small, you didn't like the tools etc - and I think many would agree. It is a mid-sized tool, and not comparable to the Wave IMO. (I already agreed about the price being high).

I can't agree that it's junk though, the materials, performance and quality are top notch. I've heard rare stories about snapped backsprings etc, and the awl takes a bit of a kicking on here quite a lot, but that's pretty rare I think.

The most common "flaw" I've heard about (and have actually seen myself) is that the flat-head drivers can be a bitch to get out, but a bit of lube and some use has always taken care of that for me. I have a few, and none of them are junk.

EDIT: You mentioned non-locking blades. Don't forget that in some countries, that makes the Juice legal to carry, whereas a Wave isn't - so I would call that a huge plus :tu:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 01:19:42 AM by DaveK »
I used to come here a lot.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #32 on: November 13, 2009, 06:40:42 PM
EDIT: You mentioned non-locking blades. Don't forget that in some countries, that makes the Juice legal to carry, whereas a Wave isn't - so I would call that a huge plus :tu:
Definitely very important here in DK..  :tu:

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #33 on: November 13, 2009, 07:32:36 PM
It's funny how we all make judgements on a tool line based on a single specimen, I know I do it.  True quality control should mean that each widget is built the same way, but sadly it isn't always that way.

Overall, with regard to this thread I think the Leatherman Juice line are good tools, they certainly are for a different demographic than the full sized Multi crowd but they fill a niche in a valuable way for lots of people.
:)

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #34 on: November 13, 2009, 08:12:08 PM
I do see the value in the non locking tools for european countries. And I guess the juices' other main selling point is the pliers which can handle more abuse than the SAK ones.

I think the main problem is quality control with leatherman. I've already returned a charge that was was poorly made, and I really dont use the juice. Maybe Leatherman got too big too fast?

Either way, I'm sticking with my wave as my edc, surge as a backup. I keep a core in my car and a blast in one of my travel backpacks. All fine tools imo, its just some of their products that get under my skin.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #35 on: November 13, 2009, 09:17:11 PM
I think that maybe with the Juice line being made out of a whole bunch of little parts there's more of a chance of things in there being a little too tight. That's probably the issue I see most of the time. The drivers can be terrible to get out. That was the main issue with both of mine. I even took one back and exchanged it. The 2nd one I bought wasn't as bad but it was still way too tight. I bent the handles and it helped a lot.

As for the can opener, a little Dremel work got them to where they'd at least open cans w/o bending.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: November 14, 2009, 03:35:49 PM
I definitely would NOT dismiss the entire Leatherman line base off one model.

I have an original supertool that has given faithful service since the 1990s. I had  Core (and I thought it  was a solid tool), but replaced it with a Swisstool RS that better suited my needs. The new Supertool 300 looks very promising.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: November 15, 2009, 05:45:31 PM
I got a chance to check out a juice the other day. It was built pretty solid. The can opener and awl were blunt (but  that can be fixed). All-in-all a neat little tool. "Little" being the optimum word. For me the tools were a too small for my taste, but it definitely serves a nitch. :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%