Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The latest haul.

Chako · 19 · 2608

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
The latest haul.
on: January 20, 2010, 04:26:48 AM
I went to the local postal outlet to pick up two packages after work today. One was a Sazabi package, and the other was a Victorinox Parts Kit. I am pumped about receiving both.

Onwards to the photographs. Omitted is a Leatherman Super Tool 200 that was also in the package.

Here is a shot of it all.

Starting off with the Victorinox Parts Kit.

A closer look at what is inside.

Next up is a Vintage Pocket Pal.

An 84mm Salesman.

A Ranger with Camping Scales and fluted corkscrew.

I need some help on this one. Not exactly sure what this is based on the information found in SAKWiki.

A Mother of Pearl Bijou.

Inside hidden under the liner was a Christmas card with this written on the backside.

I had never seen this sort of packaging before. Rather neat.

A Classic and a Champion.

Next up is another combo package features some 100 year Anniversary knives.

Another Classic and Champion.

Last but not least, a gray Star of David Classic plus a black FBI Classic.

Any help in properly identifying that unknown Victorinox with the fish scaler would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 04:28:27 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: The latest haul.
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 04:59:29 AM
Don't forget, Chako, that the Pocket Pal in that package is actually the smaller, much more difficult to find version - I'd only learned about it from SOSAK the week before I found it, which was amazing. :)  I'm happy it arrived safe and sound, as it was slow in arriving to New York, not to mention spending time in customs. o.O  And no, I still have no idea what the unknown Ranger + fish scaler SAK is. :/

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 05:14:13 AM
Ooohh, I need a parts kit. :D

Also, I wonder when you're gonna run out of ways to say "new stuff". ::)
Got those frog legs.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 05:36:20 AM
I can be very creative when needed.  :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 10:11:30 AM
A very nice haul indeed.  :salute:

I believe your unknown SAK is a pre-1985 Craftsman.  Have a look here as a variant on the Handyman.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-browse_image.php?galleryId=46&sort_mode=imageId_asc&imageId=859&scalesize=o
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 12:15:41 PM
Thank you Gareth. I do believe that is exactly it. Sharp eye!

The Phillips does have the can key feature.

The closest I could get to it was a Master Craftsman, but this one had the addition of a fish scaler. I knew that some of the back tools only came into play on more recent models. That fish scaler hung me up though.

Thank you.

us Offline bren10man

Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 01:29:11 PM
Thank you Gareth. I do believe that is exactly it. Sharp eye!

The Phillips does have the can key feature.

The closest I could get to it was a Master Craftsman, but this one had the addition of a fish scaler. I knew that some of the back tools only came into play on more recent models. That fish scaler hung me up though.

Thank you.

Chako: that is a 1985 and earlier Craftsman.  Mine is just like yours EXCEPT mine has: 1. newer, post 1985 screwdriver on the bottom.  2. Bottle opener locks half way if you want to. 3. Sewing eye in the awl/punch.

Mine must be a transition model or something.  Yours is in he 1985 catalog....
MOLON LABE!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 02:28:56 PM
You have some interesting catches there Chako  :cheers:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 10:10:56 PM
This is what I like about collecting SAKs. there is so much to know, and even more to find out. Absolutely fascinating.

Thank you Bren10man with that confirmation.  :salute:

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 11:06:51 PM
Very nice. I like the Champions.

Pic request: Can you take a picture of the inside of the two Champions with the tools open? I'd like to see the backsprings inside.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 12:14:17 AM
Very nice. I like the Champions.

Pic request: Can you take a picture of the inside of the two Champions with the tools open? I'd like to see the backsprings inside.

Now that you mention that, I have to make an interesting point about those 91mm knives you see above:  they all have full liners, as opposed to the current cut-out liners.  With that said, I've held older knives than those, dating back a decade or more beyond those, that have cut-out liners; any idea on why that would be?

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 01:20:10 AM
Now that you mention that, I have to make an interesting point about those 91mm knives you see above:  they all have full liners, as opposed to the current cut-out liners.  With that said, I've held older knives than those, dating back a decade or more beyond those, that have cut-out liners; any idea on why that would be?

It depends on the layers. The only knives I've ever seen with full liners between every layer are very old - pre 1961. The main blade liner was cut out in the early 60s and has been that way since. Vic moved the scissors to the layer beside the openers in the early 70s and it got a cut-out liner around the same time. For Champions, the liners between the metal file/saw is full well into the 1990s. The scaler/scissors liner is full into the late 80s. Pliers never had full liners, nor did the mag glass apparently.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 01:26:40 AM

It depends on the layers. The only knives I've ever seen with full liners between every layer are very old - pre 1961. The main blade liner was cut out in the early 60s and has been that way since. Vic moved the scissors to the layer beside the openers in the early 70s and it got a cut-out liner around the same time. For Champions, the liners between the metal file/saw is full well into the 1990s. The scaler/scissors liner is full into the late 80s. Pliers never had full liners, nor did the mag glass apparently.

Thank you for the information, Jazzbass, I didn't know that.  :tu:

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 03:09:33 AM
Very Nice Additions  :mail:

Don't forget, Chako, that the Pocket Pal in that package is actually the smaller, much more difficult to find version - I'd only learned about it from SOSAK the week before I found it, which was amazing. :)  I'm happy it arrived safe and sound, as it was slow in arriving to New York, not to mention spending time in customs. o.O  And no, I still have no idea what the unknown Ranger + fish scaler SAK is. :/

Smaller, meaning of the 75mm size rather than 84mm?

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 04:05:42 AM
Very Nice Additions  :mail:

Smaller, meaning of the 75mm size rather than 84mm?

Mmhmm, roughly that.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 12:19:18 PM
Yes. The knife is not 84mm, but 74mm or close enough to be counted in that size range. Odd that I failed to notice the size differences when I first posted the photographs.

I couldn't find the knife mentioned on SAKWiki.

If you look at the very first photograph with, you will note that the small Pocket Pal is next to an 84mm Salesman.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 01:47:18 PM
Nice!  It's not on the Wiki yet, we don't have a name for it yet. Collecting information though.  Another member just started asking about it a month back or so.  There are quite a few knives using that frame, but not many have been seen, or documented, that use the regular Alox scales in red with the standard sheild.

I think many people may have one and not realize it is smaller than the 84mm secretary/pockpal/excelsior knives.

I believe there is photograph though in the 74mm image gallery.

za Offline meanx

Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 07:05:21 PM
Nice!  It's not on the Wiki yet, we don't have a name for it yet. Collecting information though.  Another member just started asking about it a month back or so.  There are quite a few knives using that frame, but not many have been seen, or documented, that use the regular Alox scales in red with the standard sheild.

I think many people may have one and not realize it is smaller than the 84mm secretary/pockpal/excelsior knives.

I believe there is photograph though in the 74mm image gallery.

I also only realized the size difference when I stacked it in my display case between the 84mm Secretaries,would like to find a name for it,btw really really nice parcel   :drool:
Rest is not idleness,
and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day,
listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky,
is by no means a waste of time

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 11:45:50 PM
Here are a few more photos for size comparison.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75