Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ABC type watches.

Chako · 41 · 5365

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: ABC type watches.
Reply #30 on: February 01, 2010, 02:06:06 AM
Now the hard part, having to wait for delivery.  :(
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: February 06, 2010, 10:43:58 AM
I was all excited last night after work when I found a mysterious box in my mailbox. I immediately thought it was one of my watches. Excitedly, I rushed inside to open it up...only to find out the box contained my checks that I had ordered a week ago.  :-[

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #32 on: February 07, 2010, 12:45:43 AM
I was all excited last night after work when I found a mysterious box in my mailbox. I immediately thought it was one of my watches. Excitedly, I rushed inside to open it up...only to find out the box contained my checks that I had ordered a week ago.  :-[

I hate waiting for stuff too - got no patience  :ahhh

Hope it turns up soon so you can review it for us :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: February 07, 2010, 02:53:24 PM
Will do.  :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: February 09, 2010, 03:55:41 AM
I just got the Casio PAW1500GB-3 in the door tonight. I was very excited to say the least.

My cat decided to see what all the excitement was about.

Once I got the box open, I was greeted with a nice cardboard display with folding backsplash signage describing the features. The thick manual is in 3 languages. This has got to be the thickest manual I have ever seen that came with a watch.

A closer look at the interior display. The exterior winter band is displayed next to the watch. I bought this watch because of my 9" wrists. I tend to have difficulty in getting bracelets to fit. I must say, this watch has a very nice bracelet that fits my wrist. I am on the second to last hole, but there is enough free movement that I could use the third hole. I just like my watches to have a bit more freedom of movement. I am happy to say the bracelet fits nicely.

Here you can see the side of the watch along with the extra winter band. The watch isn't thick by any means. Likewise, the watch is very light and feels wonderful on the wrist. The band conforms to the wrist under the watch. This makes it all very comfortable and quite possibly my most comfortable to wear watch.

Although the watch isn't all that thick, and the weight is very light, it is still a very large watch. Here it is against a few of my other watches for size comparison.

From left to right: Citizen Eco Drive dress watch, Citizen Eco Drive Skyhawk, Citizen Eco Drive Skyhawk Blue Angel Edition, Bulova Automatic, Bulova Marine Star, and Casio Pathfinder.

I am very impressed with this Casio watch.

Now to get the Timex WS4 in to do a comparison.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: February 14, 2010, 12:13:24 AM
Well I got the Timex WS4 in today. It is too early to do anything other then give my first impressions of it. What I can do is compare the Timex to the Casio (which by the way, I absolutely love) in a flurry of photos.

Hang on...

Oddly enough, My cat could care less about the Timex packaging. He was all over the Casio. My guess, the other guy had a cat and his was doing some long distance messaging.  :D

Here we have both boxes together.

A closer look at the model numbers.

Opening both boxes, this is what you first see.

The Casio PAW1500BG-3 is the 2009 Winter Edition that comes with an extra elastic band to wear the watch over the clothing.  The manual in the box is massive, and only in several languages.

The Casio comes with the nicest most comfortable bracelet I have ever seen that is not metallic in nature. It isn’t rubber, and that surprised me somewhat, even with all the research I had done previously. What makes this a knockout of comfort however, is how the band wraps around under the watch itself. Just super ergonomic.

Here it is on my wrist.  It is a big watch, but it fits my wrist very nicely.

Now onto the Timex…

The model I ordered was the only one with the elastic band. As such I was stuck with orange highlights. I wasn’t thrilled with this, preferring the white rubber band model face. However, in person, the orange isn’t that bad. In fact, it looks better in person than any photograph can do it justice.

The base had a trap door where the manual can hide. Likewise, there was an unknown package taped to the inside of the watch holder. It turned out to be a neck strap so that you can wear the watch like a necklace.  Now I didn’t know about this add on. What I do know is that the other WS4 watches with the rubber band will not have this included. In fact, I stayed away from the rubber bracelet models because I had read that they were not removable, meaning one would have to send it off to the factory to replace the bracelet…that and I wasn’t sure it would fit my large wrist.

Here is a closer look at the neck strap. Remove the elastic band, velcro the strap to the metal D ring, and you are set to go hiking.

The Timex WS4 came with a much smaller instruction manual. They did include this essential short guide which was a nice feature.

I must say, the Timex came in one hour late in time. I didn’t even have to look at any instructions to set it. The Timex has a nice built in user interface that guides you. This allowed them to cut back on the reading material.

Here the Timex is off its elastic strap. The strap on the right is held on with Velcro and a neat metal clasp. The clasp can be adjusted anywhere on the band. What I am not that keen on is the inconvenience of wearing the watch. I have to open the latch, and put my big paw through the elastic band. It isn’t as convenient as buckling the bracelet ends together. I haven’t had a chance to wear the watch yet, and my first impressions may change over time.

Now onto size. Both of these watches are big. I thought the Casio was huge…but the Timex beats it. Here are both watched side by side.

For a final size comparison, I have included two of my other watches. Now the first is a big watch. It is the Bulova Automatic. The second, being a Bulova Marine Star, was considered a big watch when it was bought new. Watches seem to be getting larger and larger.  These ABC type watches are bigger in comparison, which makes sense. You do need space for the sensors, etc. I would say these are at the limit of watch portability though. Before I forget, not only is the Timex larger, it is also heavier.

In conclusion, I love the Casio. It has every tech imaginable. Atomic time keeping, solar power, triple sensors,  moon and tide info, and it is 200m water resistant. The timex offers less, worst being the 50m water resistance. It does have the 3 sensors, and a unique display. It is also quite a bit cheaper than the Casio. MSRP for the Casio is around 400 US. MSRP for the Timex is only at 200 US. The Timex has user replaceable batteries much like those found on Suunto watches.

Now all I need to do is wear the Timex for a bit to find out how it goes.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 12:20:54 AM by Chako »

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: February 14, 2010, 12:22:17 AM
The inner geek in me really likes the unusual display on that Timex.  So when they finally do a GPS model like it I'll start saving my pennies :)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: February 14, 2010, 02:58:45 AM
Considering its size, it should have a GPS system, missile launcher, Twinkie roaster, and a beer fridge built in.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #38 on: February 14, 2010, 05:54:58 PM
Considering its size, it should have a GPS system, missile launcher, Twinkie roaster, and a beer fridge built in.

People... roast... those infernal "things?!?"  :o

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: February 14, 2010, 06:48:46 PM
You mean it is not a tradition when you go camping?  :think:  :D

br Offline M.TEX

Reply #40 on: February 14, 2010, 06:58:05 PM
I saw the Times at EMS and It's HUGE !!!! even more because I have small wrist.... :pok:  :rofl:
M.TEX

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD