Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Q: Maxp Neatfreak + 10'' netbook?

Nikos · 11 · 1547

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Q: Maxp Neatfreak + 10'' netbook?
on: February 02, 2010, 08:17:18 PM
I'm considering getting a Neatfreak and I was wondering if a 10'' netbook (an Asus EEE PC 1005HA to be precise) would fit in its main compartment. Presumably the Asus is 10.3'' by 7.5'' by 1.5'' so it seems to be larger than that compartment by 0.8'' (9.5'' x 7.5'' x 3'') but could that extra 0.8'' be compensated by some stretching? I mean, the fabric part where the main compartment zipper is sewn on, should be around 1'' wide on each size (plus another 1'' for the YKK zipper) so that could probably accomodate the extra netbook length. Anyone using their Neatfreaks for a similar purpose?

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: Q: Maxp Neatfreak + 10'' netbook?
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 11:25:35 PM
Maxped sizing is quite precise in my experience so far, and the fabrics used are tough so not that able to stretch. As I don't have a neatfreak, I can't be sure of anything though :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 11:30:21 PM
Have you checked out the Youtube reviews Nikos? I'm not sure if any of them can give you some idea. I have neither I'm afraid  :-\
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 02:33:39 AM
I'm considering getting a Neatfreak and I was wondering if a 10'' netbook (an Asus EEE PC 1005HA to be precise) would fit in its main compartment. Presumably the Asus is 10.3'' by 7.5'' by 1.5'' so it seems to be larger than that compartment by 0.8'' (9.5'' x 7.5'' x 3'') but could that extra 0.8'' be compensated by some stretching?  ...

I inserted a tape measure inside my Maxpedition Neatfreak.   Your netbook will not fit.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 08:41:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys and gal. :tu:

So, parnass, how high is the main compartment anyway? Is it indeed 9.5'' or even less? If you grab the top (zipper) and bottom of the pack and pull, isn't it getting anywhere near 10.3'' inside? I'm not talking about stretching so much as  gaining some extra length from e.g. zipper sides. Or is one of the other dimensions less than advertised?

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 01:56:16 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys and gal. :tu:

So, parnass, how high is the main compartment anyway? Is it indeed 9.5'' or even less? If you grab the top (zipper) and bottom of the pack and pull, isn't it getting anywhere near 10.3'' inside? ....

My Neatfreak is 10 inches high at the center.  The corners are rounded, so the height is less than 10 inches as you get within about 1.5 inches of each corner. 

The Neatfreak has a double zipper and I suppose you could slide a Netbook inside if you left the top of the Neatfreak unzipped.  The top of the Netbook would be exposed. But, the zippers do not lock and might slip down as you carry the Neatfreak around.

Too, if you stuffed a 1.5 inch thick rectangular object (e.g., netbook) inside the Neatfreak, there wouldn't be much room remaining to place items inside the Neatfreak's inner pockets.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 02:39:09 AM
I see. I hadn't thought of the rounded corners. Thanks mate. :tu:

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 11:55:44 AM
Alright, take 2 of my quest for an eee-compatible organizer. :) How about a Spec-Ops Pack-Rat?

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 03:12:59 PM
Alright, take 2 of my quest for an eee-compatible organizer. :) How about a Spec-Ops Pack-Rat?

I have a Pack Rat and a Neatfreak.   Each is too small to fit an object with the dimensions you specified earlier.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 03:14:50 PM
I was just looking, and it looks as though your PC would fit comfortably in the Lunada Nikos - I'm not sure if that's a bit bigger than you were after though.
I used to come here a lot.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 04:38:58 PM
Well Dave, you know what? I think you're spot on. I had somehow rejected that ambidextrous gearslinger category altogether as I thought they were all on the large side, but I just watched a couple of videos of the Lunada and it seems just fine for my needs. Thanks! :tu:

Now, where could I find a good condition one for cheaper than dirt? :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD