Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First go at wooden scales,

Zed · 128 · 14293

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Re: First go at wooden scales,
Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 10:42:30 PM
:D
I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #31 on: March 25, 2010, 10:48:12 PM
Mine still sat next to my computer :salute:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #32 on: March 25, 2010, 11:03:20 PM
some of the exotic woods ARE nasty, from when i was researching making a guitar i found out a few that your want to wear protection when working with.

this should cover most of them

http://www.hse.gov.uk/PUBNS/wis30.pdf

the last page

I

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #33 on: March 26, 2010, 01:23:14 PM
That looks really good Zed!  I have got to remember to start taking pictures of my mods and builds as I do them.  I did a Vic Classic in wood scales a couple weeks ago and I should have posted it.  Next one for sure!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: March 26, 2010, 01:27:04 PM
That looks really good Zed!  I have got to remember to start taking pictures of my mods and builds as I do them.  I did a Vic Classic in wood scales a couple weeks ago and I should have posted it.  Next one for sure!

cheers mate, and yes post them up i need ideas  :tu:

th Offline Taninaree

Reply #35 on: March 26, 2010, 03:10:40 PM
Great work mate. :tu: ;)

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #36 on: March 26, 2010, 03:23:36 PM

For my first wood scale mod, I kinda cheated.  I took a cheap freebie SAK classic knock off with wood scales that were way too big, and I sanded them to fit a real classic.  I had to reprofile the ends and adjust the cutouts so it was like starting a mod halfway through.  It ended up ok, but nothing to write home about. 

I then proceeded to disassemble a Vic Camper, cleaned it, and reassembled it as a Spartan.  It worked very well except I over peened the backspring tools rivet, so they bind slightly.  I am practicing more and more.  My very first mod was a Cybertool 34 turned Supertinker with cyberdriver in it.  Rotokid had to fix that one, as I had no spare pinstock and no real idea of what I did wrong. 

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: March 26, 2010, 03:38:48 PM

For my first wood scale mod, I kinda cheated.  I took a cheap freebie SAK classic knock off with wood scales that were way too big, and I sanded them to fit a real classic.  I had to reprofile the ends and adjust the cutouts so it was like starting a mod halfway through.  It ended up ok, but nothing to write home about. 

I then proceeded to disassemble a Vic Camper, cleaned it, and reassembled it as a Spartan.  It worked very well except I over peened the backspring tools rivet, so they bind slightly.  I am practicing more and more.  My very first mod was a Cybertool 34 turned Supertinker with cyberdriver in it.  Rotokid had to fix that one, as I had no spare pinstock and no real idea of what I did wrong. 

I wouldn't worry about it mate, it's all a learning curve.  With a little more practice you'll get a good feel as how much more peening is needed.  Until then: hit-check-hit-check-hit-check-hit-check-etc.  It takes a bit longer but you shouldn't end up with binding tools that you'll want to re-do.

If it bothers you, you could always just remove the one pin.  Neil did a good guide here;

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,9057.0.html
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #38 on: March 26, 2010, 03:44:54 PM
Nice one buddy.  :)
I'm back!!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #39 on: March 26, 2010, 03:50:50 PM

I wouldn't worry about it mate, it's all a learning curve.  With a little more practice you'll get a good feel as how much more peening is needed.  Until then: hit-check-hit-check-hit-check-hit-check-etc.  It takes a bit longer but you shouldn't end up with binding tools that you'll want to re-do.

If it bothers you, you could always just remove the one pin.  Neil did a good guide here;

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,9057.0.html

I thought about removing just the one pin, and then a very vivid reminder came to me, an image of the corkscrew and small blade shooting straight out of the knife as I tried to preload the knife spring.  Still haven't found that corkscrew...  Maybe I should check the ceiling!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #40 on: March 26, 2010, 03:54:40 PM
That is genius!  I just checked out Neils walk through, and I think I will try it on my spartan as soon as my pin stock arrives from Tom in the mail.  the mod I am getting back from him has a back spring Phillips that I want to swap for a corkscrew, problem is, the knife is a four layer with a cybertool layer in it.  Hints/tips would be welcome!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: March 26, 2010, 04:05:18 PM
That is genius!  I just checked out Neils walk through, and I think I will try it on my spartan as soon as my pin stock arrives from Tom in the mail.  the mod I am getting back from him has a back spring Phillips that I want to swap for a corkscrew, problem is, the knife is a four layer with a cybertool layer in it.  Hints/tips would be welcome!

I have to admit the thickest SAK I've done this on was just two layers so I'm not sure how easy four layers would be.  A good general tip though is to make sure that you put a long, thin taper on the rod to be tapped into place.  It means that the liners and tools don't have to be absolutely perfectly lined up, just very nearly so. :D

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #42 on: March 26, 2010, 04:18:36 PM

I have to admit the thickest SAK I've done this on was just two layers so I'm not sure how easy four layers would be.  A good general tip though is to make sure that you put a long, thin taper on the rod to be tapped into place.  It means that the liners and tools don't have to be absolutely perfectly lined up, just very nearly so. :D

Yea, rebuilding this one the first time drove me bonkers!  I almost had it, I just over peened one of the rivets and bent it.  Tom told me that the cybertool layer is the hardest to mod, so I don't feel that bad.  I plan on modding a wenger can opener to fit in a Vic, I am not sure how the spring will need to look for that.  I will be sure to let you know!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: March 26, 2010, 05:13:22 PM
cheers gareth for the link, and thanks neil for the pm  :tu:

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: March 26, 2010, 05:35:57 PM
Even with practise mods go wrong :(  This afternoon I thought I was finishing off a four layer 93mm ..... All went well until I checked the scissors layer, no snap  :ahhh   I'm actually pretty annoyed as I've had to drill out the pins and pull the whole thing apart again.  I know what I did wrong but that isn't making me feel any better right now  :bnghd:
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: March 26, 2010, 05:38:58 PM
Even with practise mods go wrong :(  This afternoon I thought I was finishing off a four layer 93mm ..... All went well until I checked the scissors layer, no snap  :ahhh   I'm actually pretty annoyed as I've had to drill out the pins and pull the whole thing apart again.  I know what I did wrong but that isn't making me feel any better right now  :bnghd:

:ahhh i bet that was annoying Neil, ill stick with scales at the moment i think,  :tu:

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: March 26, 2010, 05:44:57 PM
I've given in with it for the day before I do something rash with it  :surrender:  Its using parts I can't easily replace if I muck it up big style  :ahhh

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: March 26, 2010, 05:49:15 PM
I've given in with it for the day before I do something rash with it  :surrender:  Its using parts I can't easily replace if I muck it up big style  :ahhh

Garage door job?

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #48 on: March 26, 2010, 06:11:08 PM
I can't redo anything until my box of goodies gets here from rotokid.  I feel ya though neil, I have had to do that, only I couldn't recover it!

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: March 26, 2010, 06:20:02 PM

Garage door job?

:rofl: That is the traditional response but fortunately I don't have a garage :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: March 26, 2010, 06:26:32 PM
Although it is always followed by remorse, there are few things more satisfying (for a second at least) than wanging a non-conforming SAK at the garage door!

Usually accompanied by a ritual "chant" that rhymes with clucking bell......

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #51 on: March 26, 2010, 06:29:30 PM
Ah yes, the old "lob it as hard as you can whilst screaming at it" jobbie.  :D  Almost as satisfying as the "punch it as hard as you can because you banged yourself on it" one.  :D
I'm back!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #52 on: March 26, 2010, 06:41:35 PM
Although it is always followed by remorse, there are few things more satisfying (for a second at least) than wanging a non-conforming SAK at the garage door!

:D :D

If it's not to soon, can I ask what went wrong?  Far easier to learn from others mistakes I find. :)

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #53 on: March 26, 2010, 06:51:29 PM
I'm not allowed to throw things anymore...  My wife gets angry!  :rant:

I just take a step back, gooz fraba, and my left eye twitches for some reason, but I feel better!   :angel:

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: March 26, 2010, 09:03:56 PM

If it's not to soon, can I ask what went wrong?  Far easier to learn from others mistakes I find. :)

Way too soon  >:( <looks at tray of parts and seethes>

Oh, OK :)

I finished peening and didn't like the look of the head on the middle pin.  The edge had chipped out, functionally fine but ugly.  I don't do functional but ugly so decided to replace the pin.  As you know you can do this without stripping the knife down but you have to be careful.  Anyways, I wasn't careful and slightly bent the new pin going in.   I'm just hoping that when I put it together again that I haven't damaged the liners. This would normally be bad but on this occasion it would be very bad as they are all brass  :ahhh

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #55 on: March 26, 2010, 10:27:58 PM

I finished peening and didn't like the look of the head on the middle pin.  The edge had chipped out, functionally fine but ugly.  I don't do functional but ugly so decided to replace the pin.  As you know you can do this without stripping the knife down but you have to be careful.  Anyways, I wasn't careful and slightly bent the new pin going in.   I'm just hoping that when I put it together again that I haven't damaged the liners. This would normally be bad but on this occasion it would be very bad as they are all brass  :ahhh

My condolences Neil, I hope she pulls through.   :cheers:

Sounds like the typical crap that happens to me!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #56 on: March 27, 2010, 12:15:25 AM

Ah OK, that truly sucks. :(  If it's any consolation I'd have had to do something about the ugly pin as well, I can just about live with it if it's under a scale, but I couldn't be happy with it out on display.  I really hope the liners are OK. :salute:

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: March 27, 2010, 01:13:34 AM
If it was under a scale (unless translucent) I would have left it alone as mechanically it was sound.  I'd even have left it with a slight split at the circumference, it is a hand finished product after all but a chip is just bad :(

I should have bit the bullet and pulled the thing apart there and then instead of taking a shortcut.  We live and learn :)

de Offline Argento

Reply #58 on: March 27, 2010, 02:40:17 PM
I hope its ok if i post that here. Made some scales from Micarta for my Wenger, handles were falling apart anyway.

Came out quite nice, although i could had done a better job, i wanted do get over with :D

Best wishes
Robert

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #59 on: March 27, 2010, 03:24:10 PM
That looks like a good job Robert. :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%