Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

pocket clip for a soilder

Offline ecfiffer

pocket clip for a soilder
on: April 06, 2010, 10:42:21 PM
ok so i am changing up my pocket carry and for the first time i'm carrying my soilder, but man it sucks with out a pocket clip!!!!  any ideas?
'

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Re: pocket clip for a soilder
Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 01:16:10 AM
Knifekits and a few others sell aftermarket pocket clips . If you have access to a drillpress , drillbits , and taps , you are good to go. I've thought about the same mod myself .

Chris

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 01:59:20 AM
hmmmm i'll have to look into that.  i may not want to get that much into modding like that.  too bad there isnt a clip like what you can get for leatherman's
'

ch Offline victor7000

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 04:17:38 PM

Swissbianco has made some Farmers with Clip.
Perhaps you want to ask him....

http://www.inmentis.com/SwissBianco/SwissBianco_NL_2008_4.htm

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 03:30:09 AM
Well I have made an unholy marriage.... (que sappy horror music now). My pocket clip off my charge. TTI and me VIC...  need some good glue/epoxy to put them all together...  pics coming when all done, and def allows me to post pics via my droid ;)
'

Offline scibeer

Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 10:11:19 PM
Hey, whatever gets the thing hanging on your pocket, right?  :tu

I still have a whole bag of the knifekits clips.   The only problem is the knife really needs to be taken apart to put the clip on properly.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 02:47:43 AM
 if you just put the screws in the scale from the outside, they have a tendency to strip very easily.  I took a clip from a kershaw whirlwind and put it on a soldier once, it held up for about two weeks of pocket carry and then the screws got loose and started to back out constantly.  Don't ruin your scale, either take it apart and do it right or send it to Rotokid and have him do it. 

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 03:51:52 AM
if you just put the screws in the scale from the outside, they have a tendency to strip very easily.  I took a clip from a kershaw whirlwind and put it on a soldier once, it held up for about two weeks of pocket carry and then the screws got loose and started to back out constantly.  Don't ruin your scale, either take it apart and do it right or send it to Rotokid and have him do it. 

i plan on it.  i need to get some more of the clips from ebay before i epoxy it
'

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 04:35:07 AM
Epoxy will not do it , just not enuff surface area for a bond . Ditto for any other adhesive i can think of .

Chris

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 04:15:43 AM
Epoxy will not do it , just not enuff surface area for a bond . Ditto for any other adhesive i can think of .

Chris

really?  m'eh  oh well
'

Offline porteiro

Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 07:20:15 AM
So, what's the proper way to do it?  Take the scales off, drill and tap the holes the holes, and then...?

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 02:09:18 PM
I put a clip on a Soldier a while back for a friend. My frist thought was to take the knife apart. My problum was the only SAKs i have taken a part are 91mm scaled SAKs and i did not want to rouen a frends knife. So i installed the clip without taking the knife apart. The clip i used was off a folding unitly knife i bought at harbor fright the clip and screws cost me 6.00 on sale and i got a free unitly knife with no clip. http://www.harborfreight.com/folding-locking-back-utility-knife-90802.html Here is how i did it. I Epoxyed the clip on with clear Epoxy and clamped over night with vice grips. The next day i  drilled the holes with a new drill bit using the clip for a drilling jig. Just go slow and take your time starting the holes.
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 03:48:52 PM
So, what's the proper way to do it?  Take the scales off, drill and tap the holes the holes, and then...?

I would say the best way to hold a clip on would be to take apart the knife and drill and tap the holes, then use the rivet on the end of the knive to hold the clip, and the screws to keep it from wobbling.  The problem with alox is it is very soft and no matter how you do it, putting stress on the clip will eventually cause the screws to strip. 

Offline porteiro

Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 04:15:12 PM
Here's a picture of a wooden-scaled 111mm with a clip done by scibeer.  It doesn't seem to be using the rivet at all.  Surely that ebony is no stronger than AL, right?

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 04:37:06 PM
Here's a picture of a wooden-scaled 111mm with a clip done by scibeer.  It doesn't seem to be using the rivet at all.  Surely that ebony is no stronger than AL, right?

Actually Ebony is a hardwood so it is really strong, and with wood you can use glue to assist the screws.  It's not that alox isn't strong, it's just a little soft for small high stress screws.  I would only recommend using the rivet on an alox SAK not cellidor or nylon, but I've never actually tried it.  All I have done is the traditional 3 screw pattern in alox.  Like I said before, it strips very easily. 

Offline porteiro

Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 04:45:31 PM
Oops:  I forgot to put that image in:

Offline porteiro

Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 05:00:49 PM
The reason that I ask is that I'm about *this* close to modding one of mine with wooden scales, and I'm interested in installing a pocket clip.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 05:17:29 PM
Mercury, You might be right it has only been three months but so far the clip is still tight. Keep in mind the clip was epoxied on as well as being screwed on. I also cut the threads with the screws instead of a tap the threads have less play cut this way and lastly i used epoxy for threadlocker.
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 09:01:01 PM
I can't tell but he may have glued thread inserts into that handle, and that would surely help.  If you get some inserts you can press into alox, that would make the clip more stable.  Cutting the threads with the screw itself is how I did it, and worked ok for awhile.  It sounds like your epoxy is what is helping the most Mike 56.

00 Offline knyha

• Moravian
Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 08:46:15 AM
my modest idea:
If you do clip-mod on any of your alox-knife, then you have (only) ONE knife with clip

And what about small sheath with clip that would be possible to insert inside the pocket?
Then you could insert there ANY knife that would hold in your pocket as it would have a clip...

(I carry my knife mostly on Belt-sheath, but some people may not like it probably...)

F

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 08:02:08 PM
my modest idea:
If you do clip-mod on any of your alox-knife, then you have (only) ONE knife with clip

And what about small sheath with clip that would be possible to insert inside the pocket?
Then you could insert there ANY knife that would hold in your pocket as it would have a clip...

(I carry my knife mostly on Belt-sheath, but some people may not like it probably...)

That is exactly what I am currently looking for.  I carry an alox soldier in my LFP every day, but reading these stories of knives and tools falling out of pockets makes me want a knife with a lanyard.  Does anyone know if someone makes a slim sheath that holds Vic 2 and 3 layer alox knives?

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 10:54:52 PM
I have this pouch in med my soilder fits in it.
Mike

Mike

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 02:51:14 AM

Mike

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 03:45:32 AM
I have this pouch in med my soilder fits in it.
Mike

I like that!  I may order one after I get paid.  I am so afraid my beloved soldier will fall out of my pocket.  I use it more often than my multi so I would be lost.

Offline scibeer

Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 06:06:24 AM
The pocket clips on those 111mm knives are tapped through the epoxied micarta handles and all the way into the metal liners of the knife.   There are a lot of threads holding the clip in and it is super strong like that.   Probably stronger than the ones on the alox handles.   The trick to pocket clip mounting strength is a clean tapped hole with the max threads possible.   Make sure you don't drill too big a pilot hole before tapping also to give the deepest teeth to the threads possible (without making it too tight so you don't break the tap in there of course).

I always use a little blue threadlock as well.

00 Offline knyha

• Moravian
Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 02:49:25 PM
I am so afraid my beloved soldier will fall out of my pocket.  I use it more often than my multi so I would be lost.

My second modest idea:  :)

A time ago I did not want to have soldier because of missing key-ring, but you know - I had to have Soldier as everybody. And then after time it came to my mind a little strange idea how to attack a piece of rope to Soldier. (Cheap and for-everybody-easy, but not everyone may like it... But I carry a Soldier/Electrician/Ambassador/etc. in this way.)

For more information see SOSAKOnline forum - there were after years - renewed discussion how to attach a piece of  rope to Soldier (or any knife without key-ring). It was a week ago or so...
Originally there is an old topic with name "Soldier - Holder" on SOSAK forum. Search for it.
F

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 07:35:25 PM
I am so afraid my beloved soldier will fall out of my pocket.  I use it more often than my multi so I would be lost.

My second modest idea:  :)

A time ago I did not want to have soldier because of missing key-ring, but you know - I had to have Soldier as everybody. And then after time it came to my mind a little strange idea how to attack a piece of rope to Soldier. (Cheap and for-everybody-easy, but not everyone may like it... But I carry a Soldier/Electrician/Ambassador/etc. in this way.)

For more information see SOSAKOnline forum - there were after years - renewed discussion how to attach a piece of  rope to Soldier (or any knife without key-ring). It was a week ago or so...
Originally there is an old topic with name "Soldier - Holder" on SOSAK forum. Search for it.

You wouldn't happen to have a link. I looked for it but could not find it. It sounds like a good read.
Mike

Mike

00 Offline knyha

• Moravian
Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 08:19:58 AM
You wouldn't happen to have a link. I looked for it but could not find it. It sounds like a good read.
Mike

Oh, wait a minute. My old bones are starting to move...

...Here is the link:
http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/808030/post/1371098/

See the first two pictures that SporK60 uploaded for me in those antient times :). (Right click for enlargement.) Maybe those ones are interesting for you:

One loop for pocket carry,
When I use it, then I  clip this snap-ring (is it the right english word?) on the edge of the pocket of the trousers. This loop you can put on the openers-layer. Then you have layer with blade free. However if you want to use openers, you have to to put it down.

You HAVE TO do the RIGHT SIZE of the loop. THAT is important!
You can do a knot (as on picture – that is a little bit lazy play how to "pull or push the rope in the inside of the knot but possible ), or saw it together with needle..

Putting "Soldier-Holder" on the knife:
put the loop on the one end of the knife and with sliding your thumb on the scales to the other end of knife – you stretch the loop a little bit to jump it into the other end of knife (into the layer).
(Uffff.... it is hard for me to write it in english, but it is very easy move)

Putting "Soldier-Holder" down:
Put you thumb on the back (springs) in the middle of the knife and slide your thumb towards the end of the knife – pressure of the tumb will cause that loop will easy jump out from the tool-layer over the scales and free the knife.

In fact:
That rope is able to buy it here in shops for climbing.
(Climbers use it to attach their tools for preventing if from falling down.)
This rope has a little bit ability to stretch enough for that that this loop is possible to enlarge a little bit enough to be able to "jump over" the scales in and out.

There are not shown all variants of "Soldier-Holder" what I use but this all is just the play with a piece of rope, so everybody can do it. :)

(so... I hope that english speaking people are able somehow understand my primitive english. Sorry. :) )

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 08:22:15 AM by knyha »
F

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 03:39:55 PM
Knyha, Thank you for the info and the link i am always looking for a way to carry my soldier. That seams like a good a good way to carry one. Your English was good i understood you fine.
Mike

Mike

Offline porteiro

Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 04:55:20 PM
When I follow that link, I get the following message:

FusionBB Message
There was a problem loading this page:

Your permission set does not allow you to be here.

Use your browsers Back Button to return to the previous page.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%