Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC bags

Anthony · 57 · 21137

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
EDC bags
on: August 09, 2007, 04:48:14 AM
My current EDC bag is a heavy plastic bag I got at the comic book shop :twak:  I don't have much in it, but it goes to work with me every day and hangs on one of the lumber racks...small first aid kit, old wave (that diamond file should be renamed the GOLD file!), pumpkin seeds, beef jerky, ultra fine point Sharpie, and maybe a CD or two.  What I liked about it was it was pretty inconspicuous...No one would want to try and hit me over the head for it thinking there's something valuable in it.  I don't really want to carry a BAG bag, but if I see the right run down, faded, plain bag I might get it.  If I ever get to that mil surplus store I'll try and find a simple ammo pouch or similar...something with a large flap and one main pocket.

I was just wondering who here carrys a bag when they go out, and what you have in it, and what kind of bag it is.  I've probably read what you guys carry on other boards, but sometimes the names aren't always the same ;D
[

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Re: EDC bags
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 06:57:55 AM
Lately, I've been carrying a Multipocket Shoulder Bag.  Unfortunately, it looks a little too much like a purse for my tastes.  I'm trying to find something more "manly" to carry all my crap in :)

As for what I carry, it varies day to day.  The basics are:

Paperback book
First Aid Kit
Medication and Vitamins
Blood Glucose monitor, bottle of test strips, and lancet device
Glucose Tablets
Satellite radio receiver
Cell phone car charger + headset
Nintendo DS + games
Keyring w/ Vic Classic, P38 can opener, BSA firestarter (flint & steel), mini highlighter, small pill capsule, and SwissKey.
Vaseline soaked cotton balls (for starting fires)
Handheld GPS + extra batteries
Surefire G2 flashlight

... and that's in addition to the stuff I carry on me!

If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 10:45:50 AM
I use one very similar to this...

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=12873

Mine's the ten litre karrimor version so its just big enough to carry the essentials, but not so big that I load it (and me) down with crap i don't need ;D

when I,m down the woods or on a mini cycle tour I carry my maxpat proteus, which I'd highly reccommend but is a bit on the tactical side ::)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 02:40:13 PM
I agree- the Maxpeditions are a little on the tactical side, but they are also good.  I have had two Maxpedition Thermite Versapacks and I liked them both, but for some reason I also sold them both.  One would think I would have learned my lesson by now...

I bought this pack at Home Depot a while back, but I really don't care for it and have only carried it a couple of times.  I still want to try out one of the Nite Ize pouches, but for some reason I never get around to ordering one.

Def

* Bag.JPG (Filesize: 99.58 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 02:50:29 PM
I agree- the Maxpeditions are a little on the tactical side, but they are also good.  I have had two Maxpedition Thermite Versapacks and I liked them both, but for some reason I also sold them both.  One would think I would have learned my lesson by now...

I bought this pack at Home Depot a while back, but I really don't care for it and have only carried it a couple of times.  I still want to try out one of the Nite Ize pouches, but for some reason I never get around to ordering one.

Def
does that pouch really have the word 'kuny' on it :D :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 03:02:06 PM
Yes, actually it does, but that term isn't used that way over here... besides, it's misspelled! :P

Reminds me of the time I worked in the Don Jail in Toronto.  I had to call an inmate to the front of the range which held about 35 others.  I walked up to the portal, took a deep breath to yell over the noise, looked at the name and almost pooped my pants.  The name was "Kuntz" which I found out after momentary embarrassment, and many laughing inmates, was pronounced "Coontz" like the author....

Turns out the guy was a fashion designer and wanted to use his name on the label, but when someone laughed at his idea, he bit them, which was how he ended up in 3C.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 03:04:33 PM
Yes, actually it does, but that term isn't used that way over here... besides, it's misspelled! :P

Reminds me of the time I worked in the Don Jail in Toronto.  I had to call an inmate to the front of the range which held about 35 others.  I walked up to the portal, took a deep breath to yell over the noise, looked at the name and almost pooped my pants.  The name was "Kuntz" which I found out after momentary embarrassment, and many laughing inmates, was pronounced "Coontz" like the author....

Turns out the guy was a fashion designer and wanted to use his name on the label, but when someone laughed at his idea, he bit them, which was how he ended up in 3C.

Def
:D :D :D

brilliant story mate, bet you were glad of the bars between you and the prisoners if you had to yell that one out :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 04:24:51 PM
Naw, for a bunch of drug dealers, murderers and thieves, they were an OK bunch!

Best part of that story is that it's true, or at least most of it is.  I know the guy was in for assault and that as a "vampire" or Goth guy he likely did bite someone, but I don't know whether or not it was due to his name... but he did make sure to tell me about his plans to design clothes, which is something you don't often advertise in jail!

I'm just glad his first name wasn't Hugh or it could have gotten very bad, very fast!   :grin:

Def

Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 08:32:13 PM

I'm just glad his first name wasn't Hugh or it could have gotten very bad, very fast!   :grin:

Def
Cheers mate i just spat hot tea all over my monitor :D :D :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 01:04:42 AM
See now, as an old SOSAK member you should know two things by now:

1) Do not drink anything while reading posts and

2) Get a waterproof monitor!

Def

Offline psul71

Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 07:23:13 AM
Currently I am using a black Maxpedition Fatboy for my EDC bag. I previously was carrying a Jumbo Fatboy Type-S. The problem I ran into with the Jumbo was that when I had it fully loaded it was too heavy to carry comfortably. By switching to the smaller regular Fatboy, I was forced to reconsider what I was carrying and was able to cut the weight down by a considerable margin.

Right now I am carrying the following in the Fatboy:

Knives/Multitool:
Spyderco Delica 4
Victorinox Rambler (on keychain)
Victorinox Swisstool Spirit

Lights:
Fenix P3D Flashlight
Spare CR123 Battery x2
Photon Freedom LED (on keychain)
Spare CR2016 Batteries x2

PSK/FAK:
Doug Ritter PSP - added items - MicroPur tablet x4, Gerber Milk Bag x2, Mini Bic Lighter
AMK Pocket Medic - added items - Benadryll 25mg x2, Immodiumx2, Pepcid x2

Fire:
K&M Matchcase w/REI Stormproof Matches x20
Lite My Fire Mini Firesteel
Tinderquick x10

Shelter:
50' 550 Paracord
AMK Heatsheet
Disposable Poncho

Food/Water:
16oz Nalgene Bottle
Lite My Fire Spork
Powerbar x2
Orbit Gum
Gatorade Propel packet x2
Bullion Packet x2
Salt & Pepper Packet x2

Misc. Items:
Cell Phone
Bandana
3x5 Notepad
Sharpie Marker
Zebra Telescoping Pen
Charmin "To Go" T.P.
2oz Deep Woods Off
1oz Coppertone 30spf Sunscreen
30spf Chapstick

I think that's pretty much everything in it. I still have a bit of room in the main compartment and the side pouch is empty, so I can still add a few items if needed.

psul71

Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 09:59:36 AM
Currently I am using a black Maxpedition Fatboy for my EDC bag. I previously was carrying a Jumbo Fatboy Type-S. The problem I ran into with the Jumbo was that when I had it fully loaded it was too heavy to carry comfortably. By switching to the smaller regular Fatboy, I was forced to reconsider what I was carrying and was able to cut the weight down by a considerable margin.

Right now I am carrying the following in the Fatboy:

Knives/Multitool:
Spyderco Delica 4
Victorinox Rambler (on keychain)
Victorinox Swisstool Spirit

Lights:
Fenix P3D Flashlight
Spare CR123 Battery x2
Photon Freedom LED (on keychain)
Spare CR2016 Batteries x2

PSK/FAK:
Doug Ritter PSP - added items - MicroPur tablet x4, Gerber Milk Bag x2, Mini Bic Lighter
AMK Pocket Medic - added items - Benadryll 25mg x2, Immodiumx2, Pepcid x2

Fire:
K&M Matchcase w/REI Stormproof Matches x20
Lite My Fire Mini Firesteel
Tinderquick x10

Shelter:
50' 550 Paracord
AMK Heatsheet
Disposable Poncho

Food/Water:
16oz Nalgene Bottle
Lite My Fire Spork
Powerbar x2
Orbit Gum
Gatorade Propel packet x2
Bullion Packet x2
Salt & Pepper Packet x2

Misc. Items:
Cell Phone
Bandana
3x5 Notepad
Sharpie Marker
Zebra Telescoping Pen
Charmin "To Go" T.P.
2oz Deep Woods Off
1oz Coppertone 30spf Sunscreen
30spf Chapstick

I think that's pretty much everything in it. I still have a bit of room in the main compartment and the side pouch is empty, so I can still add a few items if needed.

psul71
Nice set up there mate!

So you don't go down the maximum - minimum route then? ;) ;D

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 05:19:58 PM
Here is what I am looking for a combo - inside the pants soft leather pouch holster for a sub compact 9mm auto connected to an outside the pant carrier for a cell phone, mutitool, etc.  It would resemble a set of saddle bags . Anyone ever seen anything like it?

Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #13 on: August 12, 2007, 06:36:56 PM
I've never seen anything like that.  The only thing I can think of are the Indside the Pants holsters that have a pager attached outside...  I don't know if one of those could be modified...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #14 on: August 12, 2007, 06:43:26 PM
You can check out www.pagerpal.com

Looks like they've got one that has a cell/pda pouch. 

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 07:39:45 PM
PagerPal doesn't get very good reviews PagerPal thread
Still looking
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 09:30:07 PM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?

us Offline MrCoffee

• Coffee and Multitools - Proof there is a God.
Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 08:48:06 PM
With the discussion of Bug out bags and EDC bags I always found this article interesting, if a bit.... excessive?
http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=171

Personally I have a notebook bag I carry everyday for my computer/PDA and I have a FAK, SAK champion, Gerber LX 3.0 flashlight, SAK Lumberjack (I got from SOSAK, thanks DEF!) a Bic lighter, A Gossman PSK, a magstick, a ponch. Everything but the Ponch, Magstick, and FAK are items I use on a daily basis at work.
I carry a SAK Trailmaster in a sheath that holds a MiniMag as well. My Cellphone is on a sheath on my belt as well.

I had a NiteIze Pouch for years, but I misplaced it. They work very well. I plan to get another at some point.

When I am not headed to work, I have a plain old leather backpack that has pretty much the same items in it.
Except I add camera equipment to the list. :)
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: August 13, 2007, 03:58:38 AM
With the low cost of decent cameras these days, it doesn't make much sense to not EDC one.  I use mine for all kinds of things.  It's easier than trying to write down a number on a passing truck or web address on a sign.  Just snap a picture of them.

Def

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 06:32:11 AM

My first EDC bag was a Maxpedition Falcon, I carried it over from my school days but eventually ditched it because of the lack of access while wearing the pack. I does handle moderate loads well and is super comfortable, I still use it as a overnight pack if I am traveling. Here's what I was toting around a few years ago.

I switched from the Falcon to the Fatboy and am about ready to switch again, as such I am actually cleaning out my Maxpedition Fatboy Jumbo-S right now. Here's what I have in it:

+Streamlight stylus flashlight.

+Leatherman 2004 Wave in nylon sheath w/full bit kit and pocket clip.

+Pentagonlight X3 + 2 spare lamp assemblies.

+1 red glowstick.

+1 PowerBar (vanilla).

+Silver cigarette case with back-up I.D., 10 back-up cigarettes, and 80$.

+3 Bic lighters.

+2 Husky 4-bit Torx drivers.

+1 Husky 4 bit Philips/Flathead driver.

+Basspro diamond sharpening rod.

+Waterproof match container holding 2 CR123A batteries.

+Creative Zen Vision wall charger.

+Victorinox Rescue Tool.

+Polycarbonate safety glasses.

+Leather gloves.

+PrincetonTec EOS headlamp.

+Barska 8X21 binoculars.

+1 pair earplugs

+2 empty Batuca battery carriers.

+20-30 assorted zip-ties.

+1 small yellow towel.

+PrincetonTec 40 flashlight + 2 spare bulbs.

+Spare keys.

+Nail clippers.

+Spyderco S30V Native.

+1 Kashi Go Lean protein and fiber bar.

+6 feet of duct tape wrapped around an old Kroger Plus card.

+Nikon Finepix Z5 camera.

+20-30 Assorted band-aids.

+1 quart Deer Park bottled water.

Other than a comprehensive first-aid kit I think I have most everything I need on a day-to-day basis covered. I take a bag mainly because I spend a lot of time in the country and I get tired of the inevitable delay that occurs whenever I or someone else has forgotten something and needs to run home to get it (an hour trip or so).

I am looking for a new bag though, the Fatboy is nice and all but it is too bulky for what it holds and I never liked how it is designed to perch on the hip when carried. I will admit that my bag spends a lot more time sitting places than being carried but it is still an important consideration. I have pretty much settled on a Timbuk2 small messenger bag, I'm just waiting for the funds to build up.

I'm getting ready to revamp my bag for winter/fall so any suggestions of what to add would be helpful.

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 11:13:29 PM
I have pretty much settled on a Timbuk2 small messenger bag, I'm just waiting for the funds to build up.
Save yourself a large bunch of money and take a look at what you can get at e-Bags

Here are some coupons to use

Timbuk2 messengers are 10% off and free shipping !!!  Tinbuk2 bags

I have been buying my laptop bags, maps bags, messenger bags, and travel items here for years - TOP quality on their private labels , great prices using coupons, free shipping AND if you don't like an item they pay for the return shipping !! tough to beat ......We unconditionally guarantee all unused or defective merchandise for 60 days from the receipt of shipment. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase you may return any unused or defective merchandise FREE, for a prompt refund or exchange; the only exception is personalized or custom made items.
Why do I carry a 45 ?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 04:53:31 AM
That seems pretty sweet- how do they compare to similar offerings from Maxpedition?

Seems like a pretty good warranty at any rate.

Def

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #21 on: August 15, 2007, 07:48:31 AM
I've been becoming a bag freak lately.  I've a Wenger and  Vic pack on order... and I've been checking out a lot of messenger bags and laptop backpacks... :)

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 16, 2007, 04:36:20 PM
I have pretty much settled on a Timbuk2 small messenger bag, I'm just waiting for the funds to build up.
Save yourself a large bunch of money and take a look at what you can get at e-Bags

Thanks for the tip!

I have a black/gray/black XS Timbuk2 Classic Messenger on the way saving my @50$ from the original price I was going to get it at!

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 02:04:25 PM
http://www.varusteleka.fi/~sfJvx0000001/?Y999=PIF&Y104=cndr-asspackod

http://www.varusteleka.fi/~RgiEx0000001/?Y999=MSC&Y103=6

i carry this daily,its not real maxpedition but really dood quality copy.
in it usually is,and is not taken away,theyre in there always:
-Leatherman crunch
-crank bros. bike multitool
-bit kit for mountainbike
-tire repair stuff
-soma woody 20
-lite my fire´s spork
-few powerbars
-german pocket size field stove with burn bits.
-minigrip with instant coffee+some other instants,nodles etc+2dl ss cup that fits over stove barely
-notebook & pen
-butane lighter,cheapo stormproof outdoor model
-small first aid kit(alcohol&iodine wipes,bandages,field dressing,needle and thread,migraine pills,and snake bite pills)
-diamond sharpener,mini size
-buff & shemag scarf & sniper net scarf (90 x 190 cm´s)
-cell phone charger
-stolen hotel soap/toothbrush/breathmint set+some rubbers  :D

those fit the lower front pocket,and dont mind,they dont weight much.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 02:15:06 PM by Tarrodemierda »

Reply #24 on: June 20, 2008, 03:46:19 PM
Sound's more like surviving world war 3, than edc :D

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 12:27:57 PM
well u never know when its your neighbourhood  :D

Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 12:44:55 PM
well u never know when its your neighbourhood  :D
That's true :D

Anybody use one of these http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=12&idproduct=145 I'm thinking of asking for one for my birthday :)

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: June 21, 2008, 12:47:55 PM
well if the tag says maxpedition youll never go wrong with it.

Reply #28 on: June 21, 2008, 12:53:35 PM
well if the tag says maxpedition youll never go wrong with it.
I've got a proteous (can never spell it properly ::)) which i use down the wood's, but I don't edc it :(, so I'm looking to swap my 10 litre rucksack for something a bit bigger, and hopefully more robust, so other sugestions welcome :)

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: June 21, 2008, 01:06:02 PM
so youre selling the old away maybe ;) ?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%