Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Octane 1642

Jr. Member Posts: 63
Gerber Octane
« on: May 22, 2010, 03:08:29 AM »
Don't you wish LM would make something like this?  How many people carry a knife also because it's too much of a PITA to open it up?  And think a Wave is too heavy for EDC?  I like the idea of the Octane, but it looks (never seen one in person) cheap and ill fitting. 

Basically, if leatherman made this, it would be my dream EDC tool, hum, close to an S2, but full size, with a locking blade and locking tools.
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,451 Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Gerber Octane
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 03:14:10 AM »
You should try the Octane. You might be pleasantly surprised at the quality of it.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles
No Life Club Posts: 1,073
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 05:57:38 AM »
Isn't it called the Skeletool? Or do you mean the quick pliers?

Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.
Jr. Member Posts: 63
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 01:53:18 PM »
It seems that the octane offers more than the freestyle.  The octane does seem affordable enough, maybe I will try it.
No Life Club Posts: 1,120
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 04:13:38 AM »
Ten years later, and I have found a Gerber Octane... and I love it.  It's small and light and I don't even realize it's in my pocket. It's shorter and thinner, but wider than an MP400. It clips in my pocket and disappears. I've been EDCing my Gerber MP600 (modded with pocket clip) and Ozark Trail MultiForce lately, and those are both big heavy tools. This Gerber is light. It is a one handed opening tool (though it takes a different technique than the MP400 or MP600). I like the 3D driver. The eyeglass driver is actually the proper size to turn eyeglass screws, and I used it to remove some rather beefy circlips without any problems. The flat driver is absolutely fine for prying open ancient paint cans. Or for the rare (at least for me) flathead screw. The package opener actually rocks. I really like that tool!

Where does the Octane fall short? Well, I can list all the tools I wish it had, but then it wouldn't be a small, light, basic tool that's easy to pocket. So I'll go with the big one:  The jaws don't open nearly far enough.

The thing I really love about my MP600 and even the MP400 is how honkin' big those jaws open. I can use a them to take a garden hose off a spigot easily. I can open both the small and large Testors model paints with the MP400 or 600. I can't even open the small paint jar with the Octane. It's a great tool, but if they'd just designed the sliding mechanism slightly different they could easily have made the jaws open quite a bit more.

Ah well. It's a shortcoming, but not a deal breaker.

The blade on the Octane is super sharp, the lockup is solid, and it's comfortable to use. Overall this is a great tool, and I'm very glad I found one. I wish I had known abotu them and bought several back in 2010 :)

Charles.
Hero Member Posts: 515
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 09:20:23 PM »
  This may go down as the biggest thread resurrection in MTO history!!   :pok: :rofl:  I have an Octane somewhere, and I agree with your views on it. A good, small, pocket friendly multi! I have not touched mine in a while though. I just may have to dig it up!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 05:22:57 AM »
I've been beating on my new Octane, really using it hard, liked I'd use an MP600. And it's weathered this remarkably, with one exception. The drivers have all been top notch, even when turning really difficutl screws or using the large flat driver as a pry bar, or the small flat driver to pry off really tough circlips, I've had no problems with any of the tools. And the package opener is seriously my new favorite tool.

The blade though. I didn't understand what the complaints were about the lock. I thought they were about the liner lock, which seemed pretty robust to me. But it was about the little piece of metal that stops the blade when it's opened. I was really using the knife hard, to cut apart heavy duty plastic into strips. And that tang bent, and the blade bent backwards. (ie, opened more than it should have). I was able to fix the tool by using a nail setting punch and a hammer, but now I know that I can beat on every tool in the Octane, EXCEPT the blade. That has to be treated delicately. Which is unfortunate. The blade is sharp as hell and I like the shape and it's comfortable to use. It just can't take a lot of force on it.

Looking at the design, a spot of weld would secure that tang and keep it from bending, but it will make the tool impossible to disassemble, should the need arise.  Gerber *should* have not used a tang at all. They should have drilled and tapped a hole, and put a screw and a spacer as a stop. But they didn't.

I've seriously used and abused this tool over the course of this past long weekend, and I absolutely love it.

Also... I don't know why, but using the unique bottle opener really makes me smile. I love a frosty beverage, and not having to open any tools to get the cap off is really a game changer somehow.

Charles.

Hero Member Posts: 515
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 03:05:40 AM »
   I just dug up my Octane, and I see what you mean about the blade. There is not a lot of steel keeping that blade from bending back if a whole lot of pressure is put on it!!  :facepalm:
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 06:52:02 AM »
Used my octane today while working on a speaker. Used the pliers to bend and shape the leads on the replacement capacitor for the crossover. Cut some gasket material, pried both drivers out, and unscrewed the tweeter. Also used the blade to trim the walnut edging I added to the top and bottom.

Speakers are DCM QEDs.

Charles.
Wielder of the Bow of Banishment. Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 31,599 El Presidente del Fan Club Micky D
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2020, 02:27:20 PM »
This bump has gotten me looking at my Octane again. :tu:  Great compact MT isn't it?  I'd not noticed, or perhaps forgotten about, just how small the blade stop is though.  I can see why you'd not want to put a lot of pressure on it!

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
No Life Club Posts: 1,972 Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 06:38:24 AM »
I am a big believer in the Octane. Gerber came up with a nice little tool here, too bad it didn't really catch on. I actually bought two of them. Don't really carry it much these days as I have switched to carrying heavy duty tools when needed and just a folder the rest of the time.

"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $264.99
PayPal Fees: $14.93
Net Balance: $250.06
Below Goal: $49.94
Site Currency: USD
83%