Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pocket Tool X Bike tool

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Pocket Tool X Bike tool
on: June 09, 2010, 04:49:26 AM
Hi Guys,

It has been a long time since I last logged on or posted anything for that matter.  I have been busy for the last year or so.(possibly a bit longer) :)

I just got a Pocket Tool X Mako Bike tool.  In the last year I have become an avid cyclist.  I will have to say that it is a sturdy tool that is perfect for anyone who rides a mountain, road, fixie, hybrid, or commuter bike.  Of the 4 bits that are shipped with the tool I only had to swap out one bit because it did not fit any screw on my bike.  The other three were fine and literally took care of everything that could be encounterd with a field repair.  The one bit that I did add was only for adjustment of the tension on my shimano clipless pedals.  The neoprene bit holder holds 4 bits securely and the built in wrenches work on anything that could need fixing or adjusted on a ride.  The bottle opener is mostly cosmetic since I typically dont drink beer on or immediately following a ride.  However, in the summer months I encounter friends everywhere and with people showing up all the time I simply cannot allow them to go thirsty and most of the beers I drink and have stored require a bottle opener.

Overall, it is a great tool.  I usually pair it with my folder or a leatherman squirt with pliers or my leatherman kick.  That way I could do almost anything besides removing the crank. 

I'll try get some pics soon.   

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Pocket Tool X Bike tool
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 07:56:30 AM
Great to have you back mate :tu:

They do look like a great cycle tool :) I juts with it was made out of steel rather than Ti.
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 01:24:30 PM
id like to see a tool steel version personally
I

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 09:00:29 PM
On that tool titanium makes sense. You want to keep the weight down for your bike pack and there isn't that much hard use for that tool. It's nice to see that company make something original.  :tu:
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 10:20:42 PM
Actually I've broken spanners (reasonable quality Kamasa ones) on bicycles before, so I'd hold fire on getting a Ti one personally :-\

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 12:21:26 AM
Actually I've broken spanners (reasonable quality Kamasa ones) on bicycles before, so I'd hold fire on getting a Ti one personally :-\

I agree with you for most tools, but for a dedicated bike tool I still think that titanium is fine.  :pok:  :D

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 04:55:07 AM
Actually, I believe that the reason that the bike tool was made of titanium was not because of weight but because of sweat.  I carry a 3L hydration pack, a bottle of sports drink, light rain jacket, keys, pump, leatherman kick, and my cellular when heading out for a 3+ hour ride.  It seems like a lot of extra weight but I like to be prepared.  Adding a small tool that services almost everything on my bike is really no bother even if it were made of tungsten.  I carry the tool in my jersey pocket and I have noticed some rust on the driver bits already.  That made me think of why the tool isnt made of steel.  It would turn brown in about a week. :)

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 05:20:23 AM
Actually, I believe that the reason that the bike tool was made of titanium was not because of weight but because of sweat.  I carry a 3L hydration pack, a bottle of sports drink, light rain jacket, keys, pump, leatherman kick, and my cellular when heading out for a 3+ hour ride.  It seems like a lot of extra weight but I like to be prepared.  Adding a small tool that services almost everything on my bike is really no bother even if it were made of tungsten.  I carry the tool in my jersey pocket and I have noticed some rust on the driver bits already.  That made me think of why the tool isnt made of steel.  It would turn brown in about a week. :)

That is an interesting point of view.  :tu:   :cheers:

Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 07:27:03 AM
That's certainly a valid point :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!