Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PS4 mini review and thoughts.

Chako · 9 · 16412

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
PS4 mini review and thoughts.
on: June 22, 2010, 01:14:40 AM
Most of you know what my feelings are about the Style. I am now going to go over the PS4 and see how it stacks up to the older P4.

Leatherman has decided to stray from the very popular Squirt shape and feel in some ways, and in others, manages to stay true to the family.

(There are a few big things that make the new Squirt PS4 feel different to the older Squirt models. For one thing, the scales have a nice textured flat surface as can be seen in the non-reflectivity of the light shining off of it from the ceiling bounced flash.  Another is the shape of the scales. Leatherman states that you can get used to which side the tools are based upon that off center shape.)

(Both the Squirt P4 and PS4 feature the same pliers.)

(In the PS4, you lose the awl, and mini screw driver for a pair of scissors. Everything else remains the same. Interestingly enough, the scissors are holstered in dark plastic on two sides (bottom and side away from outer scale). I am uncertain of the reason for this.)

(Apart from the different tactile feel and scale shape, everything else appears to be stock Squirt construction.)

(This photo shows the smooth finish on the older Squirt P4, and the mat finish on the newer PS4. The newer PS4’s textured surface will ensure the tool won’t slip in your hands. An improvement, is the deeper and easier to get nail nick on the newer PS4. Otherwise, the blade geometry is the same on both.)

(Note that the PS4 is held together with Torx screws instead of rivets like the P4.)

(The inner construction is the same as the older Squirts.)

My general feelings are mixed. I liked the smooth and rounded organic feeling that the Squirt P4, S4, and E4 had, along with the rich paint colours that seemed to catch the light at times. The new PS4 lacks this tactile feel, and instead, offers its own to the mix. I do like the textured surface finish but it lends the tool a bit of a gritty feeling to it. The PS4 is also more angular, lacking that organic feel to it that I like in the older Squirts.

On the other hand, I do love that non slip finish.  Likewise, that slight design element of having both scales a bit different is a nice touch, and I can see how you can probably figure out where everything is without looking at the tool if you EDC it for any length of time. Likewise, the construction of both the newer and older tools are identical. If you liked the older Squirts, you will get along with the newer one.   The addition of a pair of scissors will make the PS4 the perfect keychain MT for many people.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: PS4 mini review and thoughts.
Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 02:30:25 AM
Cheers for the thoughts and the pictures Chako, I'm going to have to get myself one of these sometime soon. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 02:48:50 AM
Thanks.

I am now just waiting for the ES4 to make it onto eBay.ca.  :D

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 04:07:26 AM
Thanks for the comparison Chako,I still like the PS4 for the awl,when I carry the TTi.
 :cheers:& :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 04:13:03 AM
Do you mean the P4? The new PS4 doesn't have one.

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 02:15:16 PM
I can't say I'll miss an awl on a Squirt.  I'm usually an awlaholic, but none of the drivers on the Squirts are "serious" enough to drive a wood screw, so its omission doesn't bother me.

And I have to say...bravo to the death of the rounded-Squirt and the all lower-case soft font.  I know a lot of people are fond of the "humping slugs" look of the original Squirts and Juices, but I've always thought it made them look like toys.  IMNSHO it's an outmoded design flair, a carry-on of everyone else in the world trying to cop the iMac's look in the early 00's.  The straight handles and matte finish makes this particular Squirt look a bit more work-like, even if it's still the same tool on the inside.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 02:17:47 PM by SlackOne »
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 05:46:53 PM
Do you mean the P4? The new PS4 doesn't have one.
Yes the P4,good catch. :salute:

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 07:08:46 PM
Another fine write up Chako  :salute: :tu:

I've never had a P4 but I think the awl is a bit of a loss. It's maybe not strong for serious 'awling' but something is better than nothing  :D

I will add one of these to my collection at some point, my S4 is blue so it will have to be black or red. Decisions decisions  :think:  :D

Offline fatcat55

Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 05:13:49 PM
Thanks for the review and the side by side comparisons.

I have a P4 but would like to have the scissors as both pliers and scissors are tools I use regularly.

For EDC in the office I think the PS4 would be ideal. The PS4 along with a Victorinox Hiker should handle most any of my normal outdoor activities.

May have to order one soon. I will add it to a growing list of knife/MT future purchases.

Thanks again for the review.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD