Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Got me a Skelly CX

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Got me a Skelly CX
on: September 07, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
I just got my Skeletool CX last night - like a week sooner than I was expecting it  :mail:

I'm both pleased and disappointed at the same time. And a bit annoyed.

Annoyed: the package came mangled to Hell with a hole in it and the extra driver bit was missing  :rant: Seeing as I have a pile of spare bits (despite not having owned a LM for like a year now lol) and I was thinking of putting in a different bit anyway since I have plenty of flatheads on my EDC Champ already, it wasn't a big deal. Just aggravating that it would arrive that way.

Disappointed: The blade has a fair bit of up and down play. not enough for me to want to warranty it, but it's borderline. It's really at the very limit of acceptable and bugs me. Also the tool was so tight I literally couldn't open the thing. I am 6'4", 250 lbs +, and I had to struggle with both arms to force the thing to unfold into "pliers mode". The knife was so tight, I had to hold the tool down and pull with two hands to get the blade to even move. Every pivot on the thing was WAY overtightened and there was zero evidence of any lubrication being used at any point of it's assembly. After unscrewing the pivots and oiling under them, and working it in, I was finally able to open and close thing after half an hour of breaking it in. It still feels overly tight to deploy the pliers, but it should be fine after some use. I have come to expect LMs to be tight out of the package, but someone of my size should not have to FORCE the thing to work. Hell, there's a lot of people that honestly probably couldn't have ever gotten it open at all. It was that tight. It was an easy fix, but seriously LM, I should not have to disassemble a BRAND NEW tool, then lubricate and put it back together just to make if functional. Also, that black finish aint gonna hold up long. It doesn't bother me really, but after 30 min. of use there is already a fair bit of wear showing. I think it looks better that way, but still, I expected that DLC stuff to bee a lot more resilient than that - it's barely better than spray paint.

Now the good stuff: Man is this thing a cool toy. For it's purpose it's a really efficient design. The (wobbly) blade is really wickedly sharp. Sliced open my finger nicely without me even feeling it happen, shaves arm hair no problem, and has the sharpest, "pointyest" point I have ever personally seen. The blade shape seems really effective given it's size. Hopefully over time the 154cm proves to be worth the cost and holds up well. The driver is a lot more comfortable to use than I would have expected. I had a lot of concern that the wavy shape of the tool when extended for using the driver would be incredibly awkward to use, but surprisingly I actually find it quite comfortable. Not perfect of course, but certainly a lot easier and usable than I had expected. The pliers are certainly smaller than I would like, but they should be perfectly adequate for my EDC purposes. In their intended role of doing what my Champ pliers can't do, I think they will work out perfectly fine for the vast majority of jobs. Despite reading a lot of complaints about the handle shape and being stabbed by the bit driver, so far I have found the pliers to be incredibly nice to use. I love the ergonomics of it, and the bit doesn't seem to hit my hand in a way that causes any excessive discomfort. I like the carabiner, seems plenty strong/secure enough, certainly a lot better than the cheapo one I use to clip my Swisschamp onto by belt with.

Conclusion: I really like the tool. for medium/light duty work it seems plenty strong enough. In it's intended role as a supplement to my EDC Swisschamp, I think it will perform VERY nicely. A good, if small, locking OH blade, some extra drivers with better versatility and a lot less slipping than the SAK for heavier jobs where I don't need much reach, and a better set of pliers for the jobs the SAK can't do (with some real wire cutters to boot). Add in the bonus carabiner and bottle opener, and you end up with one fine supplemental tool. It takes the place in my EDC formerly occupied by my OH Sentinel as my dedicated folder, and adds in a lot more versatility and options, with a fairly minimal bulk and weight penalty, especially considering what you get.  I wish it didn't have the blade play, though in all fairness my Sentinel has just about as much, but for a user it shouldn't pose any problem. Overall I am rather pleased with the purchase. LM did it right with this one  :tu:

On a side note: I discovered that some of the flat LM bits are significantly thinner than others. The bit I chose to keep in the spare slot for the time being was thin enough to just drop right out, while others fit very snugly. I had to use my Spirit to bend in the holder to get the bit to stay in. Fits very well now and I have no worries of it falling out. Not a complaint, since the larger bits fit in there perfectly fine from the factory, just an observation I had never noticed before :think:.

Also, I REALLY need to get some black scales for the Swisschamp now for cosmetic symmetry lol.

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Re: Got me a Skelly CX
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 03:26:11 PM
 :pok:
...and the pics...  ???
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 03:42:10 PM
You mean these pics?  :pok: Could only get some really crappy cell phone pics since my camera is broken and awaiting replacement :( The lighting in my windowsill didn't help matters much either lol, but it's the best I can do ATM.

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 03:47:37 PM
 :salute: :tu: :tu:

I take most of my pics via 2mpix phone camera even dough I have a 14mpix camera, but the phone is, well EDC!!!  :D :D

Nice pics, I have SAK SC too... Great MT! IMAO

:cheers:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 03:54:54 PM
In a couple weeks I'm going out to Colorado for a week long vacation. Planning to get some good shots of my EDC with some nice backgrounds up in the mountains while I'm there. There will be much eye rolling from my GF I'm sure. "Honey, why does EVERY picture of our vacation have a tool in it?"  :D

us Offline waveman7

Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 08:48:37 PM
Beautiful Skelly man.  These recent skeletool posts are making me disappointed that I can't find my CX w/ combo blade anywhere in my house.  I have a trade going with jets1230, but I am SO close to going down to the store to buy one as a spare haha

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 10:48:50 PM
Yeah a part of me wanted the combo blade for versatility reasons, but now that I have it I'm kinda glad I got the plain edge. The blade is just too small to be able to spend real estate on the serrations.

Been carrying all day, and I love it so far. I don't notice it's there at all. I think I'm going to be quite happy with it. Provided my GF doesn't steal it, because now she wants one to carry at work.

us Offline waveman7

Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 12:22:51 AM
I agree about the serrations taking up space. I am a bigger guy so when I EDC my wave I barely know its there and granted the wave is way more versatile than the skeletool, but the skeletool has that certain WOW factor every time I use it. 

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 12:54:24 AM
I used to EDC a Surge for a couple years. I don't notice a Wave either lol. Coupled with my Swisschamp however, I have more versatility than basically any multi out there, and it still doesn't weigh much more than a Wave. It's a wonderful combo. And there's something about having some of the best of the LM and SAK world all at once that I really enjoy.

us Offline waveman7

Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 01:04:02 AM
Right now I EDC a freestyle from mark and he was cool enough to throw in a set up swiss-tech key chain drivers.  I still miss the bottle opener, but maybe that is a good thing to not have readily accessible haha.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 05:12:41 AM
I just got my Skeletool CX last night ......
Annoyed: the package came mangled to Hell with a hole in it and the extra driver bit was missing  ....

Where did you buy it?
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 08:16:08 AM
Amazon

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 08:41:13 AM
Miss the Skeletool I had just before we moved. Was an excellent secondary pliers, and it would of came in handy if I hadn't of given it to the neighbor kid for his 17th birthday. We was moving and figured would never see him again, so asked his father if he could have a knife first. The kid was a Boy Scout, and didn't have a decent knife - he does now!
He was the first in his troop to have a Leatherman even.

Yet... I want another one, again.  :drink:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 08:51:04 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 03:53:31 PM
I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but the more I fiddle/play with it and it loosens up, the more I fall in love with it. I decided to toss in a new second bit, went to an Allen/hex driver bit. Figured I have enough sizes of flat head in the Champ and between the two tools I have 3 Phillips, so may as well throw something different in there to add to the available options. Can't decide which sizes I'm more likely to come across though, or if I should have gone Torx instead, since it's harder to find Torx drivers laying around when you need them than Allen. But then there's a higher chance of actually needing an Allen... OMG decisions!  :ahhh

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 11:52:39 PM
I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but the more I fiddle/play with it and it loosens up, the more I fall in love with it. I decided to toss in a new second bit, went to an Allen/hex driver bit. Figured I have enough sizes of flat head in the Champ and between the two tools I have 3 Phillips, so may as well throw something different in there to add to the available options. Can't decide which sizes I'm more likely to come across though, or if I should have gone Torx instead, since it's harder to find Torx drivers laying around when you need them than Allen. But then there's a higher chance of actually needing an Allen... OMG decisions!  :ahhh

Yeah!!  That damn freedom of choice!!! :think:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 12:58:36 AM
Sounds like you need to invent a Bit Wallet.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 01:07:55 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 01:10:34 AM
Haha, making decisions is not my strong point.
I thought about just carrying bits, but talked myself out of that real quick. I'm trying to cut back on what I lug around, not add back to it.

Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 01:14:51 AM
Ankle Bit Wraps, Removable Tie Tack/Cuff Link Bit Holders
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 03:05:26 AM
Haha no. When I carried a Surge and all the extra bits, it drove me nuts after a while. Only reason the Skelly fits into my EDC is because it took the place of my dedicated folder. Adding more crap into the EDC is counterproductive to what I'm trying to accomplish  :twak:

Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 06:06:32 AM
If you build Ti bits, they will sell!
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 03:48:19 PM
Somehow I don't think that'd be very good idea. Awfully soft metal for a bit don't you think?

Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 05:20:01 PM
Thought titanium was one of the stronger metals. I dunno, haven't had anything titanium yet. Have a Snow Peak titanium spork coming in the next week, will be my first titanium anything.  :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 06:12:47 PM
Titanium is strong stuff indeed, especially given it's almost non-existant weight. But it's also a bit on the soft/flexible side. A titanium driver would bend too easily.

Offline umberto00

Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 07:58:06 PM

I already have. Just some velcro tape, my wallet and the bit holders and I have my bits wherever I go!

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 08:16:18 PM
Well, that is cool, wouldn't fit in my wallet though. I like it though, may have to investigate the option further, although I don't have any of my bit cards any more.

Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 12:35:33 AM
See, the hypnosis is working!

Where's that fella with the Ti cc wallet? Ti would make for a nice light weight bit holder.
¬ Outback in Idaho

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 03:52:09 PM

I already have. Just some velcro tape, my wallet and the bit holders and I have my bits wherever I go!

(Image removed from quote.)

:salute: :salute:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34