Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Organizing my SAK collection.

Chako · 15 · 3114

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Organizing my SAK collection.
on: September 19, 2010, 04:06:42 AM
I finally got around to semi-organizing the SAK collection. I am still not happy with the arrangements, but I am mostly there.

Instead of having the Wenger collection stuffed into one drawer, I now expanded the space to two drawers. The first will now hold the 120mm knives along with the 65mm knives.

The second drawer will now have the 85mm and 100mm Wenger knives.

My utility knife collection keeps expanding. Probably because they tend to be dirt cheap and everyone seems to make them. I expanded into another drawer. For now, it holds only the Canadian Tire Mastercraft brand. On the right, is my meager knife grouping.

Next is the main utility knife drawer. Seeing that I have plenty of room, I decided to display those special military knives that I won off of EDCGear in style.

Next up are a series of Victorinox dedicated drawers. The nice thing now is that I have expansion room…plenty of it. I was able to spread out the knives so that they are not literally on top of each other. The first drawer is dedicated to the 58mm and 74mm knives. I decided to place the baker knives here also.

Next, a drawer dedicated to 111mm, 108mm, and 84mm knives, along with some custom Vic knives.

The 93mm knives now have their own drawer.

Next up is the 91mm group with a few 100mm gardener knives.

A whole drawer to display the giant display knife.

These two drawers, I haven’t organized yet. The first is a medium deep drawer that holds a bunch of Victorinox kits, books, parts kits, etc. The second is the deepest drawer full to the top with special collector SAKS. I think I may have to expand that bottom drawer so that I can find items when I am looking for them. Right now, it is a real mess.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Re: Organizing my SAK collection.
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 06:13:28 AM
Great lay out,glad to see you like utility knives also. :salute:

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 09:38:58 AM
Looking good sir  :salute:

I read the title and thought 'that must be a helluva job  :o '

I'm guessing you have them catalogued somewhere as well :)

I'm sure I missed it from earlier but what's the story of the giant display knife? Is it from one of the large store displays?

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 10:24:08 AM
Looks good! How long did it take you to organize this?

Offline richs2891

Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 10:26:03 AM
Wow nice collection, not thought of using a tool chest as a lockable display cabinet.

Richard

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 10:27:20 AM
If you just kept them in Archive boxes you could have spent the money for the tool chest on more SAKs!

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 11:56:23 AM

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 12:18:18 PM
Great collection and I love the tool chest :D
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 02:12:07 PM
Cerbera, no I don't. Not yet. I know what I have with my multi-tools, but I will admit, SAKs tend to look a lot alike. Now that I have them semi-organized, it should be easier to ID them and make a master list. As for the Display knife, I have no history on it other than it is very well made, heavy, and big. The tools have no back spring tension, even though there are metal pieces that look like back springs. The tools are just rounded and thus don't lock. The bottle opener doesn't close due to a slight thickness to accommodate a small threaded hole. My guess, it is meant to attach to something there, or it is meant to be like it is in my drawer, splayed out on a flat surface to catch the eye in a display case.

Turnstone, it took about an hour, and I am still not done. I really need to clean those two deep bottom drawers. I am not 100% sure what I have down there anymore. I recall doing a photo thread about my bottom drawer contents once, but that was some time ago. Maybe I might do another one someday soon. Hmmm. if the weather is rotten, I might even do one today and finish the organizing job. Shrugs.

richs2891, once you go tool chest, there is no going back. :D

Sea Monster, what is the point of spending on more items when you can't display and secure them properly?

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 02:32:07 PM
Cerbera, no I don't. Not yet. I know what I have with my multi-tools, but I will admit, SAKs tend to look a lot alike. Now that I have them semi-organized, it should be easier to ID them and make a master list. As for the Display knife, I have no history on it other than it is very well made, heavy, and big. The tools have no back spring tension, even though there are metal pieces that look like back springs. The tools are just rounded and thus don't lock. The bottle opener doesn't close due to a slight thickness to accommodate a small threaded hole. My guess, it is meant to attach to something there, or it is meant to be like it is in my drawer, splayed out on a flat surface to catch the eye in a display case.

The display SAK looks pretty special and distinct  :tu: Not sure why but I didn't think they were made from metal  :-\

Sea Monster, what is the point of spending on more items when you can't display and secure them properly?

+1  :tu:  I agree Chako. No point in having these pieces of art and engineering and tuck them away in their boxes out of sight. Whether you are user or collector the tool chest works for both. A place for everything and everything in its place :D

It was actually Mrs. C who pushed me to go for my tool chest  :salute: Think she was sick of finding my stuff lying around the house  ::)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 03:01:47 PM
Here are a couple new photographs just taken to put the display knife into perspective. That small knife with it is a SwissChamp.

And I just tidied up my 93mm knife drawer for now.

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 03:04:34 PM
do the tools fold on the super climber?
I

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 03:14:38 PM
They all fold away except for the bottle opener which is a tad too thick to occupy the space left over from the can opener...and it is a very big Super Tinker.

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 03:21:15 PM
oops i didnt notice the phillips...

and its a shame its not fully functional
I

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 07:09:59 PM
I just finished organizing that last drawer into two drawers.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21