Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lever action question.

Jors · 4 · 1229

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Lever action question.
on: February 24, 2011, 09:32:11 AM
I am currently using a Leatherman Surge as my EDC.
I am very happy with this tool, but I am still hunting for more / better / more tool options.

I gave thought to modify a ST300 to compound leverage handles like the SOG because I want the ST300 head so that I can cut thicker wires. See my post
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,26097.0.html
and why it seems unlikely to succeed.

There is another option: If I make bigger (Fatter) handles I will be able to fit a bit more tools in, and still have the strong pliers head.
I will have to give up the one hand opening of the surge if I switch to this new modded ST300, but I don't use a knife so often that it will bother me. The most important is to have more tools available (eg. scissors, bit holder of SOG, blade changer, wire strippers of SOG, etc) and still have a super strong pliers.

If:
I make the handle fatter to take more tools; and
Where the handle is made of 1mm thick sheet, I change to 1.6 mm thick sheet; and
make the handles 10 - 12 mm longer ( up to half an inch); and
make provission for folding the sharp edgen over to save your hands / or attach a small edge with spot welding and grind it round or mill it round,

will this stronger, but longer handle make the pliers pressure noticeable stronger because of the longer lever action?

Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

us Offline CENTURION

Re: Lever action question.
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 12:26:48 AM
Yes, if you gripped the handles by the back ends of the handles, it would put out more leverage, but not a whole lot, and not as much as the Compound Leverage system.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 04:21:24 AM
Yes it would definitely help. :salute: However, it would cause the handles to be farther apart when the pliers gripped a certain sized object. (this may or may not be a concern for you, depending upon how big your hands are)

And speaking of far-apart-handles, this is the biggest problem with compound leverage SOGs in my opinion. :-\

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 07:36:42 PM
great pic Bob, perfectly shows my worry about SOG's design (though it has obvious benifits as well). :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%