Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Astronaut

kirk13 · 112 · 19423

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Re: Vic Astronaut
Reply #30 on: December 26, 2013, 04:34:12 PM
Dear NASA,
Can I be an astronaut? I already have my own special "Astronaut" knife as well as a spare if any of my fellow spacemen need it. I don't like sardines but if that is all you have up there I should be able to bust the tins open, thanks to my trusty vintage Victorinox. I could also fix the exercise bike, though given my current fitness regime I am unlikely to damage it.

If I don't hear from you by 1993 I'll assume that's a "no" and do my best to become a Cosmonaut instead.

До свидания!
Thunderpants

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: December 26, 2013, 06:43:02 PM
 :rofl: How could they say no? :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: December 26, 2013, 07:41:48 PM
:rofl: How could they say no? :D

You know what hurts the most? I don't think they even read my letter...

Neither did the Russians.

But I reckon these days if anyone is gonna send me to the moon it'll be the Chinese. Time to purchase some of their quality SAKs on ebay... :D

us Offline bren10man

Reply #33 on: January 05, 2014, 05:28:30 AM
how long did it take you to get yours?

I ordered and it shipped earlier this week. 

London, UK to South Carolina, USA
MOLON LABE!

gb Offline Spatha

• d---^__^---b
Reply #34 on: January 05, 2014, 07:29:38 AM
how long did it take you to get yours?

I ordered and it shipped earlier this week. 

London, UK to South Carolina, USA

Mine only took a day or two, but the parcel only had to travel a couple of hundred miles from London up to Yorkshire.  Your mileage may vary.   :D  I would imagine it would take a week or so, as long as customs don't interfere that is.  I can tell you that mine were very carefully packaged so it should arrive in good nick.   :tu:

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #35 on: January 06, 2014, 05:41:21 AM
Dear NASA,
Can I be an astronaut? I already have my own special "Astronaut" knife as well as a spare if any of my fellow spacemen need it. I don't like sardines but if that is all you have up there I should be able to bust the tins open, thanks to my trusty vintage Victorinox. I could also fix the exercise bike, though given my current fitness regime I am unlikely to damage it.

If I don't hear from you by 1993 I'll assume that's a "no" and do my best to become a Cosmonaut instead.

До свидания!
Thunderpants

Unknown.jpeg
* Unknown.jpeg (Filesize: 9.22 KB)

us Offline bren10man

Reply #36 on: January 14, 2014, 12:39:51 AM
Good news!!!

The postman didn't leave it (gotta sign for it).  Wife picks it up tomorrow for me at post office.

I will leave a report tomorrow.
MOLON LABE!

us Offline bren10man

Reply #37 on: January 15, 2014, 12:23:39 AM

Basicly, a new Ranger, with Phillips screwdriver w/o can key, in lieu of Corkscrew; OR; new Craftsman w/o Pliers.   

It is post 1992: rivet  in scissors, pre-2005 Vic markings on main blade, NO pin hole behind the Phillips driver. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:03:15 AM by bren10man »
MOLON LABE!

gb Offline Spatha

• d---^__^---b
Reply #38 on: January 15, 2014, 11:32:29 PM
That's odd. The one I got has scissors with a screw, Phillips with can key, no chisel or hook, old style file, and no pin hole in the scales.  The can opener is also an older style.  Even the toothpick and tweezers are slightly different designs than the modern ones.

I'd reckoned mine to be from 1986-91 era, I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #39 on: January 15, 2014, 11:48:58 PM
That's odd. The one I got has scissors with a screw, Phillips with can key, no chisel or hook, old style file, and no pin hole in the scales.  The can opener is also an older style.  Even the toothpick and tweezers are slightly different designs than the modern ones.

I'd reckoned mine to be from 1986-91 era, I think.

If the can opener is truly the older style (with "Pat"), then it is likely older than that.  "Pat" went away sometime right around 1980, I believe.
- Terry

gb Offline Spatha

• d---^__^---b
Reply #40 on: January 15, 2014, 11:54:41 PM

No PAT.  it just has a wider "scoop", if you see what I mean.

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #41 on: January 16, 2014, 12:01:44 AM
I'd be interested to know what an astronaut would do with a woodsaw, or more generally how the NASA people settled on this particular model...I've got some googling to do  :D

Amputations maybe, if you couldn't get back to Earth quickly  ;)

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #42 on: January 16, 2014, 02:42:37 AM
I'd be interested to know what an astronaut would do with a woodsaw, or more generally how the NASA people settled on this particular model...I've got some googling to do  :D

Amputations maybe, if you couldn't get back to Earth quickly  ;)

The knife was also intended as a general survival tool in case the crew landed off-target in a remote area.

us Offline bren10man

Reply #43 on: January 16, 2014, 05:30:30 AM
No....Here is your astronaut knife: Randall #17 Astro:

http://www.randallknives.com/knives/model-17-astro/

Designed especially for the Mercury 7 Astronauts.  Final design by Astronaut Gordon "Gordo" Cooper.

MOLON LABE!

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #44 on: January 16, 2014, 08:39:51 AM
Here's a letter from NASA confirming they bought 50 of the Master Craftsmen for the Space Shuttle missions back in 1978. Didn't know about the Randall. Thanks for the info.

http://www.e-webtechnologies.com/sak/Victorinox_Letter_From_NASA.pdf
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 08:44:38 AM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #45 on: January 16, 2014, 09:01:50 AM
Did some more digging. In addition to the Victorinox and Randall, a number of other knives have been used by NASA, including a Case machete, a modified Spyderco Delica, and an Emerson.

http://www.cartertown.com/Knives/CASE/Case%20Nasa.htm

http://tomsachs.org/item/nasa-knife

http://emersonknives.com/tag/nasa/

Also apparently the Camillus MC-1 automatic knife as was issued to paratroopers and pilots.

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/knife_knotes_5.htm
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:11:17 AM by ColoSwiss »

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: January 16, 2014, 10:15:47 AM
Hmmm.... The page for the modded Spydie claims they went to the moon. Odd given the last man walked on the moon in1972, and Spyderco was founded in 1976 :oops:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Spatha

• d---^__^---b
Reply #47 on: January 16, 2014, 10:22:18 AM
Interesting stuff.   :salute:  I love learning about the history of the space program, even if there are some discrepancies.   :whistle:  Those Spyderco NASA scales look very good in white.  :think:  Perhaps I should get white scales for my Astronaut.

us Offline burnside

Reply #48 on: January 16, 2014, 10:48:42 AM
Very cool and interesting info, guys.  :tu:

Thanks for the links. I would love to check out one of those Randall knives, but considering that two are on display at the Smithsonian Institution, chances of that ever happening are slim to none.

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: January 16, 2014, 11:05:33 AM
Apparently a Wenger was also carried by a Space Shuttle crew member.
Here is an interesting document from the website linked above by Karl
http://www.e-webtechnologies.com/sak/Wenger_Shuttle_Document.pdf
The picture on the first page of the document (that I suspect comes from the Wenger Anniversary book) was also used in a Wenger catalog (see attachment)
Wenger_NASA.jpg
* Wenger_NASA.jpg (Filesize: 115.35 KB)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:08:53 AM by basilio »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: January 16, 2014, 11:30:57 AM
This involves only the S and no AK, still I think its fitting here. Switzerland supported the NASA (Probably primarily financially). So the Swiss Flag was carried to the moon on the Apollo 11 mission.

Upper Text
Presented to the People of the
Swiss Confederation
By
Richard Nixon
President of the United States of America

Lower Text
This flag of your nation was carried to the Moon and back by Apollo 11, and this fragment of the Moon's surface was brought to Earth by the crew of that first manned lunar landing.
appollo11_flag.jpg
* appollo11_flag.jpg (Filesize: 482.87 KB)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:32:35 AM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #51 on: January 16, 2014, 01:23:46 PM
:salute: the flag and it's story!

One thing I just now noticed:
So, in former times, the Phillips driver could open cans and the can opener could turn Phillips screws?
 :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

And something I just discovered after reading the links:
I see the Tom Sachs knive as an art installation. It would shock me if this 'Space Program' (http://tomsachs.org/exhibition/space-program) ever reaches the moon!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 01:32:20 PM by RT1969 »

gb Offline Philby

Reply #52 on: January 16, 2014, 02:19:41 PM
Tried to buy one of these last night, entered all my details, clicked pay and a new page opened saying could not contact server!  Left it alone and bought a super tinker from somewhere else instead. You've guessed it, received an email off Bonds this morning confirming purchase of one Astronaut :rofl: Cheers Kirk  :drink: I don't know how you do it, but I'm not complaining. Well found by the way!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #53 on: January 16, 2014, 02:32:35 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

No PAT.  it just has a wider "scoop", if you see what I mean.

That isn't necessarily indicative of a time period.  I have openers from the late sixties/early seventies that look like the one at the bottom of your picture.
- Terry

gb Offline Spatha

• d---^__^---b
Reply #54 on: January 16, 2014, 04:05:45 PM
That isn't necessarily indicative of a time period.  I have openers from the late sixties/early seventies that look like the one at the bottom of your picture.

Thanks for the clarification.   :salute:

Tried to buy one of these last night, entered all my details, clicked pay and a new page opened saying could not contact server!  Left it alone and bought a super tinker from somewhere else instead. You've guessed it, received an email off Bonds this morning confirming purchase of one Astronaut :rofl: Cheers Kirk  :drink: I don't know how you do it, but I'm not complaining. Well found by the way!

Congrats on your purchase!   :D  It will be interesting to see which version you receive.   :think:

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #55 on: January 16, 2014, 11:54:36 PM
Hmmm.... The page for the modded Spydie claims they went to the moon. Odd given the last man walked on the moon in1972, and Spyderco was founded in 1976 :oops:

The modified Spyderco is bogus. None of the listed users were on any of the Apollo missions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Apollo_astronauts

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: January 17, 2014, 12:38:53 AM

The modified Spyderco is bogus. None of the listed users were on any of the Apollo missions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Apollo_astronauts

The one of them I could find a reference to( look I was on the train to work :whistle:) was at college during the last moon shots   :oops:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline bren10man

Reply #57 on: January 17, 2014, 02:19:21 AM
Very cool and interesting info, guys.  :tu:

Thanks for the links. I would love to check out one of those Randall knives, but considering that two are on display at the Smithsonian Institution, chances of that ever happening are slim to none.

All the Randall knives you see on the link I sent you are for sale.  Each is individually HAND MADE.  Order now, and you will receive it in 2018.   

OR, do like I do: go to gun and knife shows, and see what is available.  I personally looked at 10 or so Randall knives for sale at the gunshow I went to this past Saturday.  I REALLY like the #14 and #18 and #1.  I am seriously thinking about getting one.  It will cost me around $500+.  If I do that, I need to get rid of my ANIB 1995 purchased NIB Gerber 9" BMF w/sawteeth bowie knife.
MOLON LABE!

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: January 17, 2014, 04:05:40 AM
All this excitement got me to check my box of neglected Saks, I was sure I had something akin to the Astronaut. Alas, it is merely a slightly worse for wear Ranger.
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #59 on: January 17, 2014, 08:30:35 AM
On a somewhat related note, here's a Russian space mission survival gun, with a machete in the detachable stock. Its a 'drilling' (three barrels).

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=98109

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD