Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tip: Combine your discount card fobs into a single wallet-sized card

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
The plastic discount card fobs distributed by stores are prone to breaking off a key ring.  I kept a collection of these card fobs strung together by a small cord in my wallet until I devised a better solution.

I cut down 4 discount cards, making sure to leave the bar codes intact, then laminated them into a single wallet-sized card for ease of carry.  Staggering the discount cards prevents the stores' bar code scanners from confusing adjacent cards.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
great idea  :tu:
- Terry

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
You can also just print the bar codes on a sticker/label yourself. Just generate the bar code with some software program :)
Custom discount cards! :ahhh
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

Offline RTAdams89

As Reinier points out, you can print your own. There is a free font floating around that will do that simply (using Word, Notepad, or whatever). Also, the vertical height of the bar code is not important, so long as there is enough for the person to accurately line up the scanning laser with it. One thing I've seen done is to have a circle with a bunch of codes printed on it (again, since you don't have to make them very tall, a 2-3 diameter circle can hold quite a few codes) then have a second wheel over top with only a small slit cut out. The two wheels are joined at there center by a brad. Then you just rotate the wheel to the code you need and can scan it without accidentally scanning another one. You could probably do something similar with a square card by having it slide.

Also, I like how redacted your card numbers. Worried someone might steal them and rack up PetPerks for you???

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Thanks for the alternative suggestions.  As you've shown, "there is more than one way to skin a cat," although they seem like more complex solutions to a simple problem.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31