Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Serrations

Dunc · 47 · 4293

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Serrations
on: November 09, 2007, 06:58:21 PM
Theres been a couple of threads lately about blade shapes and styles so to continue on that theme what do you all think of serrations on multitools and SAK's . Over to you guys  :D

Dunc

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Serrations
Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 07:04:44 PM
I HATE serrations with a passion >:(

The only knife I own with serrations is my spirit, but I've very slowly removed those with a diamand stone and a lot of patients ::)

Serrations have there place on rescue knives I supose, but there definatly not for me :)

« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 10:46:04 PM by micky d »
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Splat

Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 07:39:00 PM
I'd rather have both non-serrated and serrated blades in my multi. So far, no biggie about the Spirit's butterknife. It's done it's job every time.
--
Splat
Splat

Offline cryptrick

Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 08:22:44 PM
I like serrated blades, most cut through rope and other materials much better than a straight blade. I'm like Splat, I always like to have both types, straight and serrated on one multitool if I can.

Micky, why you hate serrated blades so much?
[

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 08:29:48 PM
I find the serrations on my Spyderco Atlantic Salt far to aggressive and they snag up on things while cutting , but it does make a superb rescue knife as it will hack through just about anything , just not very neatly .But the Vic serrations are very different and almost like a wave pattern .I have heard people slate them and say they are like steak knives . I agree but whats wrong with a steak knife ?  It cuts meat very well .
  I prefer a knife to have a plain edge and a serrated edge so you can have the best of both worlds .
  Micky I agree with you about the Spirits blade and I wasnt a fan when I had mine but mainly because it wasnt very long .Did you not like the blade on the OHT ? The only problem I found was the black coating stopped the blade passing through what you were cutting very smoothly .

Dunc

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 08:31:43 PM
Micky I dont know what I done but I moded your post instead of replying to it  ::) Think I've put it write now  :oops:

Dunc

Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 10:51:33 PM

Micky, why you hate serrated blades so much?
Basically because I like a very neat cut, and not the raw ragged shreadding you get with a serrated edge, plus (I know I'm being a bit of a knife snob) I always thought serrated blades were for people who couldn't sharpen a knife properly ;)

Add to that there difficult to near impossible to field sharpen ::)

Are you sensing the vibe I don't like them much :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 10:58:02 PM
I like having two separate blades on a multi- one plain and one serrated.  If you have a multi bladed tool, why not have the best of both worlds?

Admittedly a serrated blade is a much bigger pain in the arse to sharpen, but then it also doesn't need to be sharpened nearly as much.  And, as for sharpening in the field is concerned, if you are going to be away from home long enough for that to be an issue, bring along a small dog bone type sharpener, which will allow you to touch up both plain and serrated blades in no time.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 10:58:34 PM

Micky I agree with you about the Spirits blade and I wasnt a fan when I had mine but mainly because it wasnt very long .Did you not like the blade on the OHT ? The only problem I found was the black coating stopped the blade passing through what you were cutting very smoothly .

Dunc
First up, How dare you edit my post :D :D

I've got to say no, I didn't like the blade on the OHT, I think the serrations are in the right place as opposed to every other half serrated knife out there ::), plus I didn't like the near chissel grind on the rest of the blade either :(

I had to sell my SOSAK 06, but the OHF I've got... http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,2685.0.html
I shortened, got ride of the serrations and convexed the edge, to the point where I'm happy with the blade profile :D

Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 11:00:57 PM
if you are going to be away from home long enough for that to be an issue, bring along a small dog bone type sharpener, which will allow you to touch up both plain and serrated blades in no time.

Def
Thats true, but I like the long uninterupted strokes across a sharpening stone that you just can't get on a full/half serrated blade :)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 11:09:12 PM
Well, you can, but you won't have a serrated blade for long! :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 11:12:18 PM
Well, you can, but you won't have a serrated blade for long! :D

Def
My newly straight edged spirit can attest to that,took me bloody ages ::)

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 11:57:19 PM
After my own heart. I absolutly sispise serr. blades, mostly the combo. However  I dont mind them on tools as long as the tool also has a straight blade on it. I keep meaning to order a straight blade to replace the partially serr on my sog but I just haven't got around to it yet.
S

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 01:06:47 AM
I've got no problem cutting rope, paracord, or cloth with my plain edged Spyderco...and those are the tings serrated blades are designed to cut best.  Yesterday I cut some paracord with my Delica, but didn't even know it.  I thought the blade slipped out of the loop of cord, so I looked closer and the cord was cut so clean I almost tried cutting it again :o

With a serrated blade I think the ends would have been frayed somewhat, or at least not as clean.  No matter, I melted the ends withing a few seoncds after that :D
[

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 01:37:57 AM
I think they both have their advantages and disadvantages, most of which have already been discussed above... so I'm another one that like to have both! If I had to pick one or the other, it would be a straight edge most of the time, mostly because their easy to sharpen. And how often during the day do I run into something that I can't cut with a sharp plain edge but I could with serrated? Not often...

I've also always hated the combo edge, thought it's probably more of a perfectionistic mindset than anything actually wrong with the design. I guess I'd just like to see either one or the other rather than a comprimise. That said, I'm thinking about getting a Skeletool CX even though its a combo edge. ::) It would be my first combo, so I guess I can just apreciate it for variety's sake... :)

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 04:26:33 AM
Overall, I prefer a plain edge from the standpoint of ease of sharpening,however the combo edge Vic has on the OHT,GAK, I do like.The placement of the serrations make much more sense to me than other maker's combo edges.
I

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #16 on: November 10, 2007, 08:56:41 AM
With regarding sharpening the Spyderco Sharpmaker keeps Victorinox serrations just like the day they left the factory .Most people said they like to have both on their multitool and I think thats the best way . Plain edge for most things and the serrated as a back up or for tougher jobs . For some reason I often find myself cutting plastic wire ties and serrated blades are good for them as well as thick rope.

Dunc

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007, 12:04:11 PM
I have no real experience of serrated blades my Swisstool is the first I have ever owned but for me having the two blades works best I would hate having a combo edge but find the serrated blade very useful

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #18 on: November 10, 2007, 02:00:45 PM
I have no real experience of serrated blades my Swisstool is the first I have ever owned but for me having the two blades works best I would hate having a combo edge but find the serrated blade very useful

Couldnt agree with you more Jock .Which Swisstool do you have ? The std or RS .

Dunc

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 10, 2007, 02:26:26 PM
It's the standard version I couldn't see the need for the RS as it is mostly a compact tool kit for round the house and on tour I refuse to carry something that good for work

Reply #20 on: November 10, 2007, 02:38:56 PM
It's the standard version I couldn't see the need for the RS as it is mostly a compact tool kit for round the house and on tour I refuse to carry something that good for work
It would never be the same after a drunk had puked in it :D

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #21 on: November 10, 2007, 02:44:04 PM
Thats why I have three  :D My RS just gets used and I dont worry about it cause I know I have two mint condition ( std and X ) ones at home  ;) When you stop worrying about messing it up or damaging it thats when you realise just how good they are .

Dunc

Reply #22 on: November 10, 2007, 02:49:07 PM
Thats why I have three  :D My RS just gets used and I dont worry about it cause I know I have two mint condition ( std and X ) ones at home  ;) When you stop worrying about messing it up or damaging it thats when you realise just how good they are .

Dunc
That's true, doesn't stop me being unnaturally protective of them though :D

Offline cryptrick

Reply #23 on: November 10, 2007, 02:54:45 PM

Dunc

Dunc, thats so true. If I get a new tool and love it, I sometimes feel the urge to buy another so one can be used heavily but know theres a mint one sitting at home :D Can't do it very often due to the price of some of these tools. Nice to know I'm not the only one who has done this though :)
[

Reply #24 on: November 10, 2007, 02:55:55 PM

Dunc

Dunc, thats so true. If I get a new tool and love it, I sometimes feel the urge to buy another so one can be used heavily but know theres a mint one sitting at home
I felt the urge to do that too ::) :D

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #25 on: November 10, 2007, 04:05:05 PM

Dunc

Dunc, thats so true. If I get a new tool and love it, I sometimes feel the urge to buy another so one can be used heavily but know theres a mint one sitting at home
I felt the urge to do that too ::) :D
                  I'm a thorough advocate of the principle of having an "heir and a spare".
I

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: November 10, 2007, 05:06:23 PM
My ST is used within the home regularly it's become the first thing I reach for my tool box is redundant .I refuse to carry it at work an example of why I was at one point covered in so much blood (someone elses)that it was running out of me and my entire uniform had to be destroyed as a health hazard I would never feel the same about the tool and the sheath wouldhave to go
That would be a touch frustrating  :ahhh

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #27 on: November 10, 2007, 06:38:36 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a mint spare at home  ;)

My ST is used within the home regularly it's become the first thing I reach for my tool box is redundant .I refuse to carry it at work an example of why I was at one point covered in so much blood (someone elses)that it was running out of me and my entire uniform had to be destroyed as a health hazard I would never feel the same about the tool and the sheath wouldhave to go
That would be a touch frustrating  :ahhh

What a terrible thing to go through  :o I think I would have to boil my Swisstool after that . I understand your uniform had to be destroyed ( Same thing happened to my brother in law who is a fireman ) but if you had of had your swisstool with you would that have to go and be destroyed or would you have had the choice ?
  Sounds a bit of a story there if you'd like to talk about it .

Dunc

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #28 on: November 10, 2007, 07:01:18 PM
That would really suck if you had to get rid of your swisstool.

Reply #29 on: November 10, 2007, 11:04:42 PM
Don't forget swisstool are dishwasher safe :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD