Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Re: THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!
Reply #120 on: November 04, 2011, 03:02:46 AM
Very nice, Cap'n. I've been following this thread with some interest. I use the same Gillette Sensor I have for 15 years, with no problems. The safety razors sure do look pretty neat though. I might have to give one a try. The straight razors, on the other hand, conjure up images of Michael Madsen dancing to "Stuck in the Middle With You" in Reservoir Dogs...... :ahhh
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #121 on: November 04, 2011, 03:10:09 AM
Very nice, Cap'n. I've been following this thread with some interest. I use the same Gillette Sensor I have for 15 years, with no problems. The safety razors sure do look pretty neat though. I might have to give one a try. The straight razors, on the other hand, conjure up images of Michael Madsen dancing to "Stuck in the Middle With You" in Reservoir Dogs...... :ahhh

I would highly suggest giving a safety razor a try. I was a bit hesitant, but after my first shave I was hooked. Honestly the hardest thing for me is finding that perfect combination of water and soap or cream for a good lather. I have been getting much better at making a good lather and find myself enjoying it more every time. If you decide to go that route and don't like it you can sell all your shaving supplies to me.  :D

If you do decide to go that route I would watch some videos on Youtube about shaving with a safety razor and how to build a good lather.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 03:12:33 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #122 on: November 05, 2011, 12:31:06 AM
I just got my first shave with my new Safety Razor. I really like it and think I want to try a open comb razor as my next purchase. The only thing I am still having a problem with is building a heavy lather. I think it might just be the horrible brush I am using and will be ordering something a bit more suitable soon.
I'm the milk man!

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!
Reply #123 on: November 05, 2011, 11:40:32 AM
What brush are you using? It could also be the shaving cream/soap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #124 on: November 10, 2011, 11:35:08 PM

Im using this brush.

I know, I know that's probably why. I am getting a new brush soon. It turns out it might actually be real badger hair though. And for a $10 price tag. Regardless I am still going to get a new one.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/146397-Shea-Moisture-Ultimate-Shave-Brush-at-Target

Alright I think I asked this before, but im not sure. I got some old Gillette safety razors at a garage sale and I might give one a go. Is there a easy way to clean/sterilize it before using. Im thinking maybe soaking it in something?
I'm the milk man!

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!
Reply #125 on: November 11, 2011, 05:45:57 PM

Im using this brush.

(Image removed from quote.)

I know, I know that's probably why. I am getting a new brush soon. It turns out it might actually be real badger hair though. And for a $10 price tag. Regardless I am still going to get a new one.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/146397-Shea-Moisture-Ultimate-Shave-Brush-at-Target

Alright I think I asked this before, but im not sure. I got some old Gillette safety razors at a garage sale and I might give one a go. Is there a easy way to clean/sterilize it before using. Im thinking maybe soaking it in something?

Looks like a badger brush to me, it can be the soap also that is the reason for you not getting the lather you want. Try the cream I gave you, it does take some time before the lather will start to build so don't go crazy with the water :P

As for cleaning the razor you can use barbacide
http://www.barbicide.com/

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #126 on: November 11, 2011, 06:19:52 PM
I tried the Cream you gave me and it actually worked fairly well, but im still not getting the lather I think I should be. I think it might just take some time and experimenting.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #127 on: November 13, 2011, 09:34:01 PM
Alright i'm thinking of taking the leap and drastically upgrading my shaving setup. My Merkur and Edward Jagger are serving me very well, but I have the funds to get a good badger brush and possibly a new razor.   :think: I need some input from you guys.

First off I was thinking of getting the new Muhle R102 Open Comb. I have been wanting to try a open comb and I have heard great things about Muhle and I love the look of the razor to top it all off. The only thing that concerns me is if it is to aggressive as I have sensitive skin on neck.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Muhle-R102-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-Open-Comb_p_1240.html

Next up is a new brush. Im looking to spend $50-$100 on the brush (possibly more) Any input on brushes would be appreciated.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Shaving-Brushes_c_11-1-1.html
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #128 on: November 14, 2011, 08:44:46 PM
Well just ordered a new Muhle R89 and Simpson Badger Brush.  :D  I also ordered some more Feather blades and some odds and ends stuff like witch hazel and Proraso pre-shave. I also ordered a drip stand.  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #131 on: December 05, 2011, 09:42:11 PM
Alright quick question. I have been using a Proraso pre-shave which has been working out nicely. My question is after you apply the pre-shave do you rinse with water to remove the pre-shave before applying your lather or do you leave the pre-shave on and apply your lather over it?
I'm the milk man!

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!
Reply #132 on: December 06, 2011, 01:37:58 AM
Leave the pre-shave on, I also use the proraso pre-shave cream and I love it. My shaving routine goes like this: Let the brush soak in hot water while showering, after drying my self I splash some water on my face and neck so it's wet and then I apply the pre-shave cream, after applying the pre-shave I make my lather and let the cream work, when lather is done I apply it on top of the pre-shave cream.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #133 on: December 06, 2011, 01:44:50 AM
Leave the pre-shave on, I also use the proraso pre-shave cream and I love it. My shaving routine goes like this: Let the brush soak in hot water while showering, after drying my self I splash some water on my face and neck so it's wet and then I apply the pre-shave cream, after applying the pre-shave I make my lather and let the cream work, when lather is done I apply it on top of the pre-shave cream.

Alright perfect. That's exactly what I have been doing.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Reply #134 on: December 06, 2011, 10:20:47 PM

Alright perfect. That's exactly what I have been doing.  :tu:

What you also should try is using only cold water when shaving. Use the Proraso pre-shave cream, use also either Proraso or Omega shaving cream, I prefer Omega since it contains lanolin, and use the pre-shave cream as a aftershave cream also. A very refreshing experience

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #135 on: December 06, 2011, 10:24:42 PM
What you also should try is using only cold water when shaving. Use the Proraso pre-shave cream, use also either Proraso or Omega shaving cream, I prefer Omega since it contains lanolin, and use the pre-shave cream as a aftershave cream also. A very refreshing experience

I was thinking of using the Proraso as a aftershave as well. I actually get irritation very easily so a friends wife works in the dermatology field and gave me something to use as a aftershave until the irritation goes away. I left it at there house the other night but will be trying it soon. After that I want to try the Proraso as an after shave.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Reply #136 on: December 06, 2011, 10:36:34 PM
The cream works great both for pre-shave and after shave. Proraso products are great since they are really good and they are affordable.

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #137 on: December 09, 2011, 09:16:24 PM
Well i finally went forth and got a safety razor, after today in the shower(i know bad picture)ive had enough and figured id go forth.. so my wife got me one for X-mas from the kids, i did a little looking around, and the best one i could find for the $$ and best ratings is this one, any thoughts? JR
http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Model-180-Handled-Safety/dp/B000NL0T1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323460748&sr=8-1 
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!
Reply #138 on: December 11, 2011, 08:26:12 AM
What's shaving?

If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #139 on: December 22, 2011, 02:46:39 AM
Alright I was bored so figured I would take some pictures of the new shaving gear I got.  :tu:

I'm the milk man!

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #140 on: December 22, 2011, 11:12:26 PM
I love the look of that bowl. :tu:  I was also looking at the gunmetal razor you have (though the name now escapes me) how are you finding it?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!
Reply #141 on: December 22, 2011, 11:31:21 PM
I love the look of that bowl. :tu:  I was also looking at the gunmetal razor you have (though the name now escapes me) how are you finding it?

If you are thinking about the one with the barn doors it's a Parker 22R. I also want to know how you are finding it.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #142 on: December 23, 2011, 04:45:29 AM

If you are thinking about the one with the barn doors it's a Parker 22R. I also want to know how you are finding it.

I found it to shave fairly well. I actually think it shaves on par with the Muhle, Merker, and Edwinn Jagger. Sorry if I spelled those wrong.  :) The fit and finish is not of a Edwin Jagger but if it shaves my face comfortably im a happy camper. I am actually dissapointed in my new Muhle.  :( I need to try some different blades in it before I make a decision though. I find the Merker to be the best fit for my face.

I have been using the shaving cream you gave me quite frequently and think its awesome. I have yet to use the bowl as I have been using the shaving cream and not soaps, but once im out of cream I am going to give soap a try.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
THE SHAVING THREAD!!!!!!
Reply #143 on: December 23, 2011, 07:37:49 PM
It's good that you the like the stuff I sendt :) I also really liked the cream. But if you don't like the Muhle I will gladly give it a new home ;)

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #144 on: December 24, 2011, 05:39:12 AM
It's good that you the like the stuff I sendt :) I also really liked the cream. But if you don't like the Muhle I will gladly give it a new home ;)

I bet you would.  :D Im going to try a few different blades in the Muhle and see if I can get better results.
I'm the milk man!

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #145 on: February 25, 2012, 08:31:49 PM
I know I'm reviving an old-sh thread, but I just wanted to let you guys (and gals) know that I just had my 1st shave with a safety razor!
Inspiration struck yesterday afternoon when I found out that my parents had arranged to go visit my grandparents. And who would have an old safety razor that isn't seeing any use? My old and beloved grandfather!

So I asked him if he had one, and he immediately gave me his old "Earth" brand razor, of which I can't find anything on the internet. He also gave me a pack of razor blades, and a lather brush which I will try using after I acquire some soap or something other the standard radioactive-blue goop.

To tell you the truth, I didn't find it as difficult as I thought it would be.
I had a short beard, from not shaving 2-3 weeks, and I just gave it a shot after a hot shower.
I can tell you, I felt very manly while holding that old heavy piece of steel :)

So, what should be my next step in the non-disposable cartridge shaving world?

EDIT: It looks kind of like this, except the plastic case is different and I don't have the original box. (not that I need it :P)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BOXED-EARTH-SPECIAL-SAFETY-RAZOR-RARE-/180161878399?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item29f27c197f
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 08:59:38 PM by Threeme2189 »
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Reply #146 on: February 25, 2012, 09:14:00 PM
Good for you! :D Welcome to a more manlier world! :P

Do you know what type of brush you got? I would recommend that you get a badger brush since it’s far superior than a bristle brush or a man made synthetic one.

Second is the blades, you can get a sample pack from most of the online dealers but I would recommend going straight for the blades made by the Japanese company Feather, they are considered to be the best blades on the market and I have found out that it’s true.

Third is finding a shaving soap or cream. I prefer a shaving cream over a soap since I find it much easier and faster to make a lather. But I have found out that on some creams that comes in a tub the cream have a tendency to become rather “compact” making it worse to spread the cream out in the bowl, a member of badger and blade gave it the name “the turd hunt”. So I like creams that come in a tube rather than a tub. A cheap but good cream is the one from Proraso/Omega (they are made by the same company but the Omega cream contains lanoline while Proraso don’t) and gives you good value for your money. A really good cream that smells really good and performs great is the Sandalwood shaving cream from Truefitt & Hill, but it’s more pricey than the Proraso/Omega creams.

Fourth is finding out if you want some pre-shave or aftershave products. I can’t really say that using a pre-shave cream/oil will make a huge difference for the shave but I do like to use it. A aftershave cream is a must for me and I would recommend that you also get one. My shaving routine is use pre-shave cream/oil, Proraso have a really good pre-shave cream I use when I shave with the Proraso shaving cream while I use Truefitt & Hill’s pre-shave oil when using their cream. After shaving I rinse my face in cold water to close my pores, then I use a aftershave and after a minute I use a aftershave cream.

A good online store that I can highly recommend is the UK based Shaving Shack http://www.shaving-shack.com/ use the coupon code USVAT2012 so they will deduct the VAT when shipping outside the EU.

Hopes this helps and good luck with the shaving

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #147 on: February 28, 2012, 01:44:22 AM
Glad you got your first safety razor shave out of the way. I can't see NOT using a safety razor after I switched. The shave is hands down a much better shave with less irritation and as you said you feel real manly using your safety razor which is a extra bonus.  :D Whipping your own shaving cream/soap is pretty cool as well. For me it took some time to learn proper water/cream mixture and I found a lot of it depends on what material your shaving brush is as well as what size it is and how much water you shake out before you initially whip your cream. I would suggest getting a bowl and brush with your choice of Shaving Cream or Soap to experiment with whipping up a lather.

As Medic said

I prefer a shaving cream over a soap since I find it much easier and faster to make a lather. But I have found out that on some creams that comes in a tub the cream have a tendency to become rather “compact” making it worse to spread the cream out in the bowl

I completely agree.  :tu:

For me pre-shave and after shave are a must as it helps with the irritation and gives me a much more enjoyable shave. Find what works for you. I personally use a Proraso pre-shave and a lotion after shave of some sort.

If you have any questions I would be more than happy to help. I'm sure Medic would be willing to give his advice as well. When I started out he was more than helpful.  ;)

Threeme2189. Check out these guys on Youtube. They are very informative and will probably answer quite a few questions you might have by watching a few videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/geofatboy

http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 01:46:10 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #148 on: February 28, 2012, 06:57:08 PM
Good links Cap. :tu:  I got a shavette for Christmas and have to admit I've not really got the hang of it yet. No mass blood letting but quite a rough shave and I can't blame the blades as they are the same as the ones I am totally happy with in my safety razor so it's got to be my technique.

I'll see what advice he's got for me. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #149 on: February 28, 2012, 07:48:07 PM
I have been wanting to get a Shavette for a while now to start learning the straight razor. I will pick one up once I get some expendable funds.
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD