Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New from Eagletac?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
New from Eagletac?
on: November 12, 2011, 06:09:42 PM
I'm the first to admit that I don't have my finger on the pulse when it comes to what's new in the world of torches, but these are new to me at least.  At first glance these seem to be in direct competition to 4Sevens 'mini' range.  Look promising to me anyway. :tu:

http://www.eagletac.com/beta/html/d_series/index.html
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Re: New from Eagletac?
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 08:30:35 PM
I've had several poor experiences with 4Sevens' lights, unfortunately.

I purchased a 'neutral' white Preon 2 about a month ago, and it wasn't even close to neutral in tint.  On the contrary, it was quite cool; blue in fact, as well as having green in the beam profile.  They said that it was just part of the normal variation in the emitters and was not eligible for a refund.

I made a post about my experience with the light and their response over on CPF and they promptly banned me for two weeks for "inappropriate posting".  Whatever.  That's typical for them, though, kick anyone in the balls who complains about one of their advertisers products.

That aside, while I only have one EagleTac myself, one of the larger ones, a T20C2 MkII, it's a great light.  Very solid and well built.  I've never dropped it or anything like that, but I feel like it could stand up to some serious abuse.  I haven't considered buying one of the D series because they haven't made them available in a neutral tint yet, and also because I don't care for twisty interfaces.  My usage needs are such that a clicky-switch works much better for me.  In general though, twisties are more reliable because there's no switch in them that can fail.

If you don't mind cool tints or the twisty interface, I'd say try one out.  Based on my experience with 4Sevens, I'd say the EagleTac would be a better choice.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 08:32:24 PM by Heinz Doofenshmirtz »
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 09:53:30 PM
I've just got the one eagletac myself (a P10A) and am very happy with the build quality. :tu:  I gotta say though Heinz, I think you'd hate the tint.  It's got a very slightly green colour to it, not a big issue to me but you can notice it when doing a side-by-side comparison with another light.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 07:10:34 AM
I've just got the one eagletac myself (a P10A) and am very happy with the build quality. :tu:  I gotta say though Heinz, I think you'd hate the tint.  It's got a very slightly green colour to it, not a big issue to me but you can notice it when doing a side-by-side comparison with another light.

Yeah, probably.  I'm a pretty bad tint snob...  I know that in actuality, a slight green tint can't really be seen when you're using a light outdoors and all.  I honestly don't know why, but I find any green in a light just really bothersome.  Unless it's so very slight I can't see it when I'm looking for it, it bugs me.  I guess that just some form of OCD coming out in me...  :ahhh 

The upside is that it keeps me from spending too much on lights...  :angel:

I'm still kicking myself though for getting a Preon 2 instead of a PN20a2 in neutral.  I've seen beam shots of it, and I know what emitter it has and what the tint is like, but I wanted something that wasn't a tactical looking light, and now I'm stuck with a light I really don't like.   :rant:  Oh well.

And I really don't mean to rant about it, or to be dissing 4Sevens either.  Their lights are good quality products.  It's just that I've bought 5 neutral lights from them in the past 2 years at an average of $55 a pop, and 4 of them have been green.  I've been able to gift them or find uses for them where the tint doesn't bug me so much, but I'm having a hard time getting over the feeling I've been burned, even though technically I know it's all part of the tint lottery luck of the draw.

Anyway, I've read some good things about the D series, so if you like them, I'd say get one.  They make a quality product.  I can't say anything about their CS as I've never had to use it, but they have a good reputation, so I think you'd most likely end up with a good light.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 07:44:57 PM

us Offline JRAmmon

Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 08:27:54 PM
My wife bought me the D25C Titanium from PTS for Christmas. I am a newcomer to the world of "quality" flashlights. So, I think the world of it and it's perfect to carry in your pocket.
VSAKCS #374

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD