Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The (Great?) Workout Thread.

AHB · 1085 · 56900

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: The (Great?) Workout Thread.
Reply #90 on: February 20, 2012, 03:56:29 AM
Well done Allan!

When is the Official 1/2 marathon?

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #91 on: February 20, 2012, 07:32:19 PM
This was my first half marathon Bob and the official event is on the 25. march Nate, but now I'm sure everything will be fine.. :) My left thigh is a bit sore, but after work I took the dog for a long walk so not a problem..

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #92 on: February 20, 2012, 08:21:45 PM
This was my first half marathon Bob and the official event is on the 25. march Nate, but now I'm sure everything will be fine.. :) My left thigh is a bit sore, but after work I took the dog for a long walk so not a problem..
The day of the race, you'll have adrenalin on your side.  Just remember to take the last 7-10 days easy beforehand.  Your legs will feel stiff and tight at the start of the race because your muscles will be packed with glycogen--that's good and normal.  3 miles in you'll feel great.  :tu:

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #93 on: February 20, 2012, 09:42:24 PM
Did a hour and a half bike ride this evening going to give my self a day off tomorrow I think
I

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #94 on: February 20, 2012, 09:50:30 PM
The day of the race, you'll have adrenalin on your side.  Just remember to take the last 7-10 days easy beforehand.  Your legs will feel stiff and tight at the start of the race because your muscles will be packed with glycogen--that's good and normal.  3 miles in you'll feel great.  :tu:
Thanks for the advice Nate, I'll take it easy with some short distances..  :tu: :tu:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #95 on: February 20, 2012, 10:07:08 PM
Thanks for the advice Nate, I'll take it easy with some short distances..  :tu: :tu:

Exactly!  Not really necessary, but you can carbo load starting about 3 days out.  You are way out in front for training.  You're going to do great!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #96 on: February 20, 2012, 10:33:04 PM

Exactly!  Not really necessary, but you can carbo load starting about 3 days out.  You are way out in front for training.  You're going to do great!
My main goal is to get as close as possible to two hours and I just googled carbo and found some great advice on what to and not least, what not to eat in the days uptil.. :tu:
The route is two times around this track.  :)

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #97 on: March 02, 2012, 01:48:20 AM
It's unseasonably warm here (38 F) so I went for my first bike ride of 1012.  I wore too much clothing, rode too slow and my heart rate was too high, but it was still better than riding a stationary bike.
Tick Magnet

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #98 on: March 02, 2012, 02:11:27 AM
It's unseasonably warm here (38 F) so I went for my first bike ride of 1012.  I wore too much clothing, rode too slow and my heart rate was too high, but it was still better than riding a stationary bike.

Just think, in 54 years, the Normans will conquer England... :-\

;)

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #99 on: March 02, 2012, 03:07:48 AM

Just think, in 54 years, the Normans will conquer England... :-\

;)

Ooops  :facepalm:  I shouldn't reveal this, but I actually proof read that before I posted it. 
Tick Magnet

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: March 03, 2012, 09:52:11 AM
Nice one meadmaker (the bike ride, not the typo!), at least you got out there and went for it.

Had a migraine attack this week (came on at the end of a spin class, very odd) which has left me feeling rubbish. Yesterday was a post migrain day, did nothing , felt terrible, todays should be better.

My girls are at the sports centre this morning for gymnastics, so I'm off to the gym. I think I'll take it easy today.

The best part is I get to watch my two for a while, see how they are getting on.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #101 on: March 13, 2012, 10:09:32 PM
Bump, how's the training going..?  :D

I broke my personal record and ran 6 km in 29 minutes earlier today..  :)
http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/pJbLV6ytMJw

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #102 on: March 13, 2012, 10:14:33 PM

Saw that on Facebook.  You are the Ironman!

Edit to remove dorky web policy :(
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 10:39:27 AM by Mr. Whippy »

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #103 on: March 14, 2012, 04:12:44 AM
I am down around 14 pounds now and up to nearly 40 minutes on my elliptical.  I am seeing improvements in all my weights as well.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #104 on: March 14, 2012, 12:59:05 PM
Great Job Merc!  You're ahead of me by 4 lbs.  I've got to get serious about the food that I eat so that the weight will come off a little faster. 

It's gotten unseasonably warm here so I am switching from walking to biking.   Most of my old equipment is in good enough shape to use except for my tires, gloves and shoes.  A pair of thses shoes is on its way to me right now.  I love wearing Keen sandals so when I saw that they made bicycle shoes I knew that I would get along very well with them.

Tick Magnet

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #105 on: March 14, 2012, 01:03:50 PM
Great Job Merc!  You're ahead of me by 4 lbs.  I've got to get serious about the food that I eat so that the weight will come off a little faster. 

It's gotten unseasonably warm here so I am switching from walking to biking.   Most of my old equipment is in good enough shape to use except for my tires, gloves and shoes.  A pair of thses shoes is on its way to me right now.  I love wearing Keen sandals so when I saw that they made bicycle shoes I knew that I would get along very well with them.

(Image removed from quote.)

First off, I'm not being a prick when I ask this.  I seriously want to know that answer.

What's the point to cycling shoes?  What's the benefit to wearing them?
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #106 on: March 14, 2012, 01:21:59 PM
Mike, don't worry about sounding like a prick, pricks don't ask honest questions.

For m the advantage of cycling shoes is the stiff soles and the attachment system.

Peddling for long periods of time in regular shoes causes your foot to flex in an unnatural way which can lead to pain and even injury.  The stiff soles greatly reduce that flexing.  They also allow more your the energy go be transferred to the pedal making you more efficient.

Most cycling shoes have holes for the attachment of a cleat.  Theses cleats lock into clipless pedals.  The clipless pedals keep your feet properly positioned on the pedal so, again, you get more efficient transfer of energy and your foot does not slip off the pedal and cause an accident or injury.  The name "clipless pedal" sounds wrong because a the cleats clip into the pedal.  The name comes from the fact that the older pedal systems used a strap and to clip to position and secure the riders foot.  The newer systems don't use the strap or toe clip so they are referred to as clipless.

Most cycling shoes are also very well ventilated which makes them more comfortable on long rides or hot days.

There are more advantages but these are the main reason I wear them.  Oh, and they look cool.   8)
Tick Magnet

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #107 on: March 14, 2012, 02:48:21 PM
Mike, don't worry about sounding like a prick, pricks don't ask honest questions.

For m the advantage of cycling shoes is the stiff soles and the attachment system.

Peddling for long periods of time in regular shoes causes your foot to flex in an unnatural way which can lead to pain and even injury.  The stiff soles greatly reduce that flexing.  They also allow more your the energy go be transferred to the pedal making you more efficient.

Most cycling shoes have holes for the attachment of a cleat.  Theses cleats lock into clipless pedals.  The clipless pedals keep your feet properly positioned on the pedal so, again, you get more efficient transfer of energy and your foot does not slip off the pedal and cause an accident or injury.  The name "clipless pedal" sounds wrong because a the cleats clip into the pedal.  The name comes from the fact that the older pedal systems used a strap and to clip to position and secure the riders foot.  The newer systems don't use the strap or toe clip so they are referred to as clipless.

Most cycling shoes are also very well ventilated which makes them more comfortable on long rides or hot days.

There are more advantages but these are the main reason I wear them.  Oh, and they look cool.   8)

Ding!  That's the winner.  Stiff soles to prevent injury and fatigue where the cyclist's foot catches the edge of the pedal.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #108 on: March 14, 2012, 07:27:01 PM

Saw that on Facebook.  You are the Ironman!

Edit to remove dorky web policy :(
Thanks Nate..  :D :D

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #109 on: March 14, 2012, 08:52:03 PM

Ding!  That's the winner.  Stiff soles to prevent injury and fatigue where the cyclist's foot catches the edge of the pedal.

mine tend to injure me when i cant get my feet off my pedals quick enough!
I

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #110 on: March 14, 2012, 09:05:41 PM

mine tend to injure me when i cant get my feet off my pedals quick enough!

If I'm commuting, I ride a bike with toeclips; for me, it's a quicker release.  I just use a cycling shoe without a cleat.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #111 on: March 14, 2012, 10:31:10 PM
Thanks for the answers guys.  I've been wondering about cycling shoes since I got my Mountain Bike... I also have a bit of a shoe buying fetish, so I'm always looking for a reason to buy a new set of shoes, boots, etc :D
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #112 on: March 15, 2012, 02:42:47 PM
I have started to change my diet, I noticed that I am kinda stuck at a certain weight.  While my clothes fit better, I don't seem to be losing now.  I think it's due in part to the amount of weights I lift, I probably have some muscle built up. 

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #113 on: March 15, 2012, 03:02:55 PM
That's a good thing Merc.  More muscle mass means more calories burned even when you are just sitting around.
Tick Magnet

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #114 on: March 15, 2012, 09:19:31 PM
Ran 6 km in 28:26 earlier today. It's actually fun to put some pressure on yourself..  :D
http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/jKk5LuoqBI0

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #115 on: March 16, 2012, 04:01:03 AM
That's a good thing Merc.  More muscle mass means more calories burned even when you are just sitting around.

I hope so.  My upper body is getting more toned, so hopefully more muscle pounds too.  I work the hell out of myself every day at the gym, I want it to pay off. 

I broke my stupid fat 12 minute mile today, for the first time since I got fat, I ran a full mile without having to walk and I did it in 8.5 minutes!!  I felt incredible after. 

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #116 on: March 16, 2012, 09:35:45 PM
My wife is a marathon runner, but she can't run right now because of some minor upper body surgery.  She decided to go on a walk with me today in the unseasonably weather.  The woman made my legs burn, but I couldn't let her move faster than me or let her know that I was hurting.

It was a good workout, but I hope she is able to back to running soon.
Tick Magnet

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #117 on: March 16, 2012, 11:47:09 PM
While not a marathon runner, my wife does maintain a good level of fitness.  She can't outrun me, but she can outswim me.  She can tread water literally for hours.  I can't.  She usually marks her swim routine my not counting laps, she just swims for an hour as a workout.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #118 on: March 18, 2012, 11:22:58 PM

So how about it Allan? Are you ready for next Sunday? :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #119 on: March 19, 2012, 08:40:06 PM

So how about it Allan? Are you ready for next Sunday?  :)
Yes, I'll be getting my T-shirt, my startnumber (4) and chip this friday.
I'm running shorter trips this week, watch what I eat so I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm not going for any records but hopefully I stay within 2 hrs and 10 min.  :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%