Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

♥♥ I need help finding the multi-tool of my dreams. ♥♥

us Offline FAQtastic

Hello everyone my name is Geoff and I'm new to this site but I'm in desperate need of help, so I come to you because your the experts. The multitool of my dreams is a simple one with the knife being the primary focus (plain edge no serrations and at least 3" long). It must have a pocket clip that facilitates tip up carry as well as having a decent pair of pliers with wire cutters being a bonus and not a requirement. It also must have a Philips and flat head screwdriver. This is a tool I would carry with me every day until the day I die.

Some examples of tools that come close to what I desire are:
- Tool Logic SL Plier Multi-Tool (CONS; No tip up carry, partly serrated blade) I own this tool and it is quite good but could be better.
- Buck 735 X-Tract Essential (CONS; This would have been perfect if only it had tip up carry and pliers like the rest of the X-Tract's instead of those ridiculously oversized scissors!)

EDIT1: this is a tool I plan to EDC so for me and what I desire less is more. Full-featured multi-tools are without a doubt out of the question as they are too big and too heavy. ideally the tool would only be somewhat bigger than a tactical folder but I'm okay with something a little bigger if it comes down to it.

Also price is almost a nonissue (without getting ridiculous) because this is something I would EDC for the rest of my life. If I have to I might even consider having something custom made. So if you have any recommendations on how one might go about this please feel free to recommend.

Thank you so much for your time, and any help you can give me in my quest would be much appreciated♥
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 07:40:09 AM by FAQtastic »

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Re: ♥♥ I need help finding the multi-tool of my dreams. ♥♥
Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 06:57:20 AM
If you want tip-up carry, a pliers, and a good plain edge knife, I'd honestly suggest looking at the Wave or Charge from Leatherman. I know its more of a plier-based tool rather than knife-based, but the main blade on these tools is plain edge, and can be opened with one hand, making them as close to a standard folding knife as possible. The removable pocket clip also allows for tip up carry, and when pulling the tool out of the pocket, your hand goes right to the plain edge main blade. Might be worth a look.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 07:06:51 AM
The 3" blade makes this a tough one.  :think:  Maybe this?

Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

us Offline FAQtastic

Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 07:29:49 AM
If you want tip-up carry, a pliers, and a good plain edge knife, I'd honestly suggest looking at the Wave or Charge from Leatherman. I know its more of a plier-based tool rather than knife-based, but the main blade on these tools is plain edge, and can be opened with one hand, making them as close to a standard folding knife as possible. The removable pocket clip also allows for tip up carry, and when pulling the tool out of the pocket, your hand goes right to the plain edge main blade. Might be worth a look.
Thank you for the reply and I will make sure to edit my original post to reflect on what I'm about to say. For me and what I desire less is more. Both of these are excellent and full-featured multi-tools but are without a doubt overkill for what I need. Because it is a tool I will be carrying with me constantly the tool needs to be somewhat lightweight as well as only somewhat bigger than a tactical folder, this is essential. Once again thank you for the astonishingly quick reply.

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 07:42:57 AM
Skeletool cx if you don't mind the smaller blade (2.6" I believe?). I recommend trying one anyway if a wave is overkill. Unless you would rather compromise the pliers and try leatherman's knife offerings such as a e55b. I have nothing bad to say about either of those. Good luck and let us know what you decide on!

Stay multi my friends

us Offline FAQtastic

Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 07:45:29 AM
The 3" blade makes this a tough one.  :think:  Maybe this?

WOW you guys are amazing, two responses already and in less than an hour! But sadly the Buck X-Tract is one of the examples I used in my original post of a tool that wouldn't work. The only X-Tract with a pocket clip is the Essential model and that one's pocket clip does not facilitate tip up carry. Nevertheless I appreciate your response.

us Offline FAQtastic

Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 07:58:11 AM
Skeletool cx if you don't mind the smaller blade (2.6" I believe?). I recommend trying one anyway if a wave is overkill. Unless you would rather compromise the pliers and try leatherman's knife offerings such as a e55b. I have nothing bad to say about either of those. Good luck and let us know what you decide on!

Stay multi my friends
Well this sure is interesting and a little bit funny at the same time. I happen to own the original Leatherman Skeletool and would have to agree with you that it is excellent. However this was the tool that has inspired me to go on my quest for the !multi tool of my dreams! My extended experience using this tool in EDC had me constantly thinking "if only this blade was a bit longer" and "if only this tool was tip up carry". the Leatherman Skeletool is almost exactly what I want but just not right. You are an amazing person Beerplumber and a truly value yours and everyone else's insight. Do you have any more recommendations?

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 09:46:20 AM
Try looking at the skeletool evil510 did in the mod threads. Sorry cannot do the link. I dont know if he does commission work but if he does it is where I would go with your requirements.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 09:55:33 AM by Farmman »

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 11:43:00 AM
Have a look at the crkt zilla tool. Its got the same number of tools as the skeletool. I don't no if its to up our top down but its a good size and the tools you want.
-----5hif7y-----

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 12:19:51 PM
First of all Welcome to MT.
Now the legendary "perfect MT EDC" is a myth
all of us has spent a long time looking for.  :cheers:

I don't know of any that "fit" your wants actually
but some come close like Leatherman Wingman
very basic tool arrangement. But it's tip down combo
edge. You might have to go with something almost
perfect and have it modded to something perfect
for you.  But since we (mankind) are ever changing
our needs change over time.

Trust me I know I have had SEVERAL edc's

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 12:35:15 PM

Wise words! Only thing I can add to that is that often as I've tried different tools I've been surprised what actually has and hasn't worked for me personally. The ideal tool on paper isn't always the ideal tool in your pocket. Many I've tried which "should" have been great, weren't - but I have found some which really suit me down to the ground. Good luck in your search and welcome to MTo  :tu:

(BTW - Mr Whippy posted some comments on the CRKT Zilla recently, and the blade aint that big  :salute: )
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 12:47:36 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 03:31:34 PM
Try looking at the skeletool evil510 did in the mod threads. Sorry cannot do the link. I dont know if he does commission work but if he does it is where I would go with your requirements.

That's was my first thought too.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,20842.0.html

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 04:43:00 PM
Yeah mate, it seems to me you should get a nice X-Tract- the Fin model has a plain edge blade but it replaces the can opener with scissors. It wouldn't be very difficult at all to put a pocket clip on it yourself (and if you're not up to it, I'd bet you could find someone on this site who has the know-how).
[

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 05:05:18 PM
I think it is the "tip up" that is causing us most problems.  I'm totally drawing a blank on this. :-[  So conveniently forgetting you specific request  ;) I'm going to suggest you have a look at the Gerber Octane. :D

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 05:36:16 PM
just wondering.... what about a separate knife and tool. like a spyderco ukpk in carbonfiber, and a skeletool CX, that way the skeletool could be your backup blade.
-----5hif7y-----

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 07:05:57 PM
here's a link to the CRKT zilla tool and the Jr zilla

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,33631.0/topicseen.html

worth a look
-----5hif7y-----

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 04:03:58 AM
Have you considered one of those stick on pocket clips  :think: :think:. That would open up way more options for you  :think: :think:

There are a couple of brands out there I believe  :think: :think:

Mr Whippy's thread on his Juice clip ----> http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,13105.0.html

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
Re: ?? I need help finding the multi-tool of my dreams. ??
Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 05:10:06 AM
How did you add those hearts? I'm a little slow at times. :D

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 05:47:56 AM
I think its this <3

Edit...thats not it.

us Offline FAQtastic

Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 07:08:57 AM
Have a look at the crkt zilla tool. Its got the same number of tools as the skeletool. I don't no if its to up our top down but its a good size and the tools you want.
I have seen the zilla tool a few times on the net but the unique shape and layout was always something that turned me off. Do you have any personal experience with it? Not counting the facts that the blade seems a little short and is serrated it just doesn't seem like the type of tool that wouldn't work for me.

us Offline FAQtastic

Reply #20 on: December 24, 2011, 07:15:34 AM

That's was my first thought too.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,20842.0.html

Wow that sure is a beautiful and extensive mod job that was done to that skeletool :o However I don't know how this managed to slip my mind when I originally made this thread, but one of the things I desire in the multitool of my dreams is spring action pliers. I will make sure that I edit the original post reflect this :oops:

us Offline FAQtastic

Reply #21 on: December 24, 2011, 07:27:15 AM

thank you for your the warm welcome it is much appreciated. It is also both encouraging and discouraging to know that others are also looking for a product to the one that I desire. knowing this gives me hope that what I want either exists now or will in the future. I feel that I will never stop looking for the tool I desire until I have in my hands. But as you and some others have pointed out to me I may have to settle with something close and then have it customized.

On an off-topic note I seem to lost the privileges to edit the original post in this thread. Is this something automatically happens after a certain amount of posts or a certain amount of time has elapsed in the thread? If so is there anyway you or him on could allow me to edit the original post as people make suggestions or I remember things that somehow I left out (like that the pliers in the tool you need to be spring action)?

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 24, 2011, 07:30:34 AM
looks like iPhone emoji's... ? 💟 or ♥❤💚💜💙💛💗💔💓💘 nope I'm way off. Anyways I think I might try some of these awesome suggestions myself! Carbon fibre UKPK + skele cx would be a sexy edc combo!

edit: it is! ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Stay multi my friends
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 07:36:24 AM by Beerplumber »

us Offline FAQtastic

Reply #23 on: December 24, 2011, 07:34:23 AM
Yeah mate, it seems to me you should get a nice X-Tract- the Fin model has a plain edge blade but it replaces the can opener with scissors. It wouldn't be very difficult at all to put a pocket clip on it yourself (and if you're not up to it, I'd bet you could find someone on this site who has the know-how).
From what I've seen so far I believe you're right. As you pointed out the only thing that's missing is the pocket clip. I think I will probably pick one of these up within the next week and trying it out. However I will not stop looking for the multitool of my dreams so please please keep the recommendations coming! :cheers:

us Offline FAQtastic

Reply #24 on: December 24, 2011, 07:55:37 AM
I think it is the "tip up" that is causing us most problems.  I'm totally drawing a blank on this. :-[  So conveniently forgetting you specific request  ;) I'm going to suggest you have a look at the Gerber Octane. :D

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :cheers:
Thank you for your warm welcome and advice. It may seem eclectic but the tip up carry is essential to my system. I currently switch EDC between an "Emerson CQC-16 Wave" and a "Cold Steel - Recon 1 Tanto Blade" which is always supplemented by the original "Leatherman- Skeletool". I have been using the CQC-16 for quite some time now and the wave function has become indispensable to me. Some people think it's just gimmicky but I have truly come to love it, and have managed to come up with a technique to mod pretty much any tactical folder to use wave (not the zip tie trick). Because the wave will only function with tip up carry it is essential.

Thank you for the recommendation and I have spent some time now because of looking into the Gerber Octane as well as the Gerber Crucial Tool. however neither of these will work for me not just because of the ugly and horrible blade design on the Crucial but because the pliers on both of these tools are not spring-loaded.

I know I didn't mention the spring-loaded pliers in my original post and I do understand how it slipped my mind, but I seem to have lost the privilege to edit my post to reflect this information is there any way around that?

Thank you for your recommendations and please keep them coming ♥

us Offline FAQtastic

Reply #25 on: December 24, 2011, 08:03:20 AM
just wondering.... what about a separate knife and tool. like a spyderco ukpk in carbonfiber, and a skeletool CX, that way the skeletool could be your backup blade.
Actually you hit it pretty much right on the money. Right now I currently switch EDC between an "Emerson CQC-16 Wave" and a "Cold Steel - Recon 1 Tanto Blade" which is always supplemented by the original "Leatherman- Skeletool". however my goal is to consolidate my system into "one tool to rule them all" in order to conserve pocket space and weight.

us Offline FAQtastic

Reply #26 on: December 24, 2011, 08:41:59 AM
Have you considered one of those stick on pocket clips  :think: :think:. That would open up way more options for you  :think: :think:

(Image removed from quote.)

There are a couple of brands out there I believe  :think: :think:

Mr Whippy's thread on his Juice clip ----> http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,13105.0.html

Wow the clip you linked to looks amazing. The only thing like it I've ever seen was amazon.com and that is definitely not suited for a tactical knife. I'm going to have to get my hands on one of those and then slap it on the Buck X-Tract Fin I plan on buying next week! :tu:

us Offline FAQtastic

Re: ?? I need help finding the multi-tool of my dreams. ??
Reply #27 on: December 24, 2011, 08:45:02 AM

It's Unicode and you can make the heart by holding down the Alt key and pressing 3 on the number pad.= = ♥

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #28 on: December 24, 2011, 10:18:12 AM
Other more knife oriented options could be the Meyerco Paradox:

Or any of the Jeep Tools:

But you will have to add the clip in all of them :(

us Offline FAQtastic

Reply #29 on: December 24, 2011, 11:46:22 AM
Other more knife oriented options could be the Meyerco Paradox:

Or any of the Jeep Tools:

But you will have to add the clip in all of them :(

OMG that is some crazy smurf! there's no way I would have found those on my own. I did some quick googling and saw that the Meyerco Paradox is apparently a piece of smurf (multitool.org even gave it a 2/10). it's late at night but tomorrow I will make sure that I use my Google-fu to dig up some more information on those Jeep tools. Other than the the fact that there Jeep branded :rofl: the layout and design I see in those pictures you posted looks promising. If you have the model numbers or links to videos or reviews on those I would love to have them. Putting design aside I hope that the materials used in those Jeep blades isn't total bull plop.

Thank you for these potentially wonderful and without a doubt obscure recommendations :salute: :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%