Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK pliers

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
SAK pliers
on: December 25, 2011, 12:57:13 PM
How strong are the SAK pliers?

They are very good precision tools because of the way they fold out and you operate them with your thumb while holding the main body of the SAK, and they are spring loaded as such.

But what is the most strenuous task anyone has adked form them, and how did they hold up?

E.g. how to they compare to the pliers of the LM squirt line?

Also, am I right in thinking Victorinox and Wenger are the same company, in that one owns the other? In which case, why not produce a smaller version of the fold out pliers seen on the Wenger Mike Horn and Ranger Series for SAKs?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: SAK pliers
Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 01:28:58 PM
I gotta admit that I really don't use my SAK pliers much at all, but I do know that others do.

As to the Wenger Victorinox ownership thing, yes it is true that Victorinox bought out Wenger a few years ago when Wenger was in financial difficulties.  However they are run as two completely separate companies and there seems to be absolutely no exchange of technology or design.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline macabee

Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 02:28:10 PM
I found them excellent for removing staples, not tried them for anything stronger, I have the swisstool for that.
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 04:57:58 PM
The newranger pliers are first rate :salute: It would be neat if Wenger produced a smaller version of them, as I've never found the regular SAK pliers to be all that practical :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline alelser

• Suspected Sakilicious
Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 05:09:08 PM
I have used the 91mm Vic pliers for a number of tasks including tightening/loosening small nuts and bolts. They are very useful, but I can't imagine ever relying on them for pliers tasks. Great as a back-up to a SwissTool or the like.
Let us therefore open the book of Nature and read in her records.
--James Hutton

Sakilicious!

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 05:37:53 PM
I work on electronic instruments. I use them all time. I always have a CT34 laying around to use. I don't think they were designed for much more than electronic or computer sized nuts. I have never bent or broken them yet.

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 08:30:41 PM
I've had no luck with them.  ::) I'm glad to have a full multi at those times.  :tu:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 10:52:40 PM
I tend to think of SAK pliers like heavy duty tweezers.  Too small for tasks I use pliers for, but great for heavy duty tweezer tasks!
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 11:27:09 PM
Yes, heavy duty tweezers. That's a good description. Other than that I also find some use cases, for instance, when I was drilling around the house to fix things on the walls, I used them to pull bushings gone wrong out the wall holes.

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 11:44:15 PM
I tend to think of SAK pliers like heavy duty tweezers.  Too small for tasks I use pliers for, but great for heavy duty tweezer tasks!

That's how I think of mine as well, sums it up perfectly.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 11:49:46 PM

That's how I think of mine as well, sums it up perfectly.

Mike

Heavy duty tweezers :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 12:06:06 AM
anyone tested them to breaking limit?

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 12:24:36 AM
I love the SAK pliers!  One of the most useful tools in the world!

That said, heavy duty tweezers or forceps is the best way if thinking of them.  I've used them on small nuts, up to 8mm,  but that's about as much as I'd try.  There's nothing better for pulling staples and thorns and the like out of bike tires, shoe soles, etc., and you can make some very useful paperclip tools with them too, and they're awesome for split rings, jumpers on computer boards, and so on.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 04:07:11 AM
I've found the pliers on my Deluxe Tinker to be pretty useful overall. A lot of times at work a full size set of pliers is overkill. For small nuts, pulling staples, removing clips from paint cans, etc., they've been quite handy. As long as I'm not trying to do something crazy with them, I have no problems with those little pliers.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

Offline HighlandPark

Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 04:05:07 PM
working in an office environment i dont encounter too many nuts and bolts. but just when the occasional screw needs some support, i can hold the nut with my sak pliers and work on the screw with my second sak that i tend to have with me these days.

but since it it christmas, what i use my sak pliers most for these days is to pull the remaining bits of our candles out of our christmas tree candle holders. it works like a charm and these things are too small for my big fingers.

merry christmas everyone! cheers, marcus
 :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88