Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Opinions Wanted- Most Useful Small LM?

us Offline TangoDown

Re: Opinions Wanted- Most Useful Small LM?
Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 10:27:30 PM
LM Juice S2 in my pocket. This is always on me along with a folding knife (which I rotate between a handful), a Vic Classic and a 4sevens Mini123 LED light.

I used to carry the LM Micra on my key chain but my key chain was getting to heavy so I removed it. I had an ITP A3 EOS Stainless AAA LED light, the Micra, a Vic Classic & a Fisher Trekker pen. With 2 fobs and key sets, this became too heavy and bulky for my tastes so I removed the Micra and Classic form the key chain. The Micra I no longer carry but the Classic (or Rambler) went to my front pocket.

us Offline Strangelovecraft

Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 06:25:05 AM
Only until you realise that food and rent is waay overrated..  :P :D

Thank goodness they're SURVIVAL tools, eh?! :)
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of the time, and usually that's good enough"

de Offline Shorty66

Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 12:18:51 PM
I own the squirt ps4, style cs and some normal styles.
If you are after the most capable tool for the size i would go with a normal style. The pliers on the ps might feel nice to have but if you neeed pliers they are most often too wimpy for the job.
I used to use the PS4 pliers as tweezers and they do a good enough job, but the normal styles tweezers are a lot better for that.

If you want a tool where you can actually use the pliers for most day-to-day pliers jobs go withe the juice line.

If you want the tool which is adequate for most edc-jobs like cutting nails, opening boxes and removing the occasional splinter, go with a normal style.

Edit: also, if considering the juice line, have a look at the skeletool and freestyle. A skeletool can easily be modded to be the size of the freestyle (cutting the carabiner) but still offering the bitdriver.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 12:22:24 PM by Shorty66 »
T - `cause i like tea :)

gb Offline Likeablefish

Reply #33 on: January 24, 2012, 11:12:18 PM
Ive had a PS4 on my keys for the last year and its one of my most used mt's, definitely the best small MT in my opinion scissors and pliers and drivers! What more could you ask for on a keychain  :salute:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: January 25, 2012, 12:29:08 AM
Just to muddy the waters slightly I'll just throw up a link to the Gerber Dime.  OK so we don't have a firm release date (and it's not a LM ;)) but this really could be an excellent contender for a good keyring carry.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Adam Clark

• Strictly LEATHERMAN 99% of the time!
Reply #35 on: January 30, 2012, 02:50:00 AM
I'd pick the Squirt Ps4 over then new Style PS BECAUSE the Squirt has everything the PS has (minus the carabiner) plus.... *drum roll please* A KNIFE!!!!!!! ;)
Love my Style PS though!!

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: January 30, 2012, 06:21:08 AM
I replaced my PS4 with a CS because I didn't care for the bulk of the PS4, and the bottle opener on the PS4 stinks.  I replaced my CS with a PS because the blade on the CS, which is identical to the blade on the PS4 won't hold an edge.

Now I carry a PS on my keychain and my Dragonfly 2 together with it at all times.  All the blades on the small Leatherman tools, including my Juice S2 have been substandard... The blade on my S2 is plenty sharp, but it's hollow ground, which is my least favorite blade grind profile, and the edge doesn't hold up well.  Only good thing about it is that it's easy to sharpen.  So now I always have a better quality blade on me at all times, like my DF2, or a SAK.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Adam Clark

• Strictly LEATHERMAN 99% of the time!
Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 04:52:58 AM
I replaced my PS4 with a CS because I didn't care for the bulk of the PS4, and the bottle opener on the PS4 stinks.  I replaced my CS with a PS because the blade on the CS, which is identical to the blade on the PS4 won't hold an edge.

Now I carry a PS on my keychain and my Dragonfly 2 together with it at all times.  All the blades on the small Leatherman tools, including my Juice S2 have been substandard... The blade on my S2 is plenty sharp, but it's hollow ground, which is my least favorite blade grind profile, and the edge doesn't hold up well.  Only good thing about it is that it's easy to sharpen.  So now I always have a better quality blade on me at all times, like my DF2, or a SAK.

After reading what you said, it made me want to carry my Style PS all day  :tu:

us Offline Strangelovecraft

Reply #38 on: February 01, 2012, 07:41:57 PM
Lots of thought- provoking convo here, and I'm glad I asked. Among many things, I am gonna have to check out the Dime. That's my sort of thing! I think I need a style Cs, too...
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of the time, and usually that's good enough"

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: February 02, 2012, 03:12:08 AM

After reading what you said, it made me want to carry my Style PS all day  :tu:

I really, really tried to not let the crappy little blade on the CS get to me, but I just couldn't deal with it.  I get a lot of books in the mail at my job, and most of them are shipped in those new plastic mailing envelopes that have that layer of lint-like padding in them, which gets everywhere and makes a huge mess when you're trying to open them.  The blade on my CS never did anything but butcher those packages.  Most of the time it was easier to try and tear them open, and that's not that easy actually! 

The scissors on the CS are very nice though, but often they didn't work well on those kinds of mailers, and are the last thing I want to use to cut packing tape on regular boxes, getting all that glue and gunk on the scissor blades...

So now I usually carry my DF2 in my right pocket, and use it for big stuff like plastic mailers, parcel boxes, etc.  It cuts like a laser, and doesn't scare the bejeezus out of the mail-room girl like my Endura or Tenacious did.  I also keep my Executive with me at all times, on a 4Sevens neck cord with my HCRI Preon 1.  I use the Executive mostly on letter size envelopes, and oranges from the salad bar in the dining hall at my college.  (Yes, I actually use the orange peeler for peeling oranges!) 

The PS and my Dragonfly are a great one-two combination for EDC that fit nicely in my pocket, do everything I need, and don't scare the crap out of other people.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #40 on: February 04, 2012, 10:58:11 PM
Scissors aren't my biggest priority, and I lean heavily toward "tools" over openers/personal care, so I like the old P4 best. Very small, and good tools for its size.

...And just out of habit, I need to suggest the Juice KF4, if you can find one and don't mind a little weight in your pocket. While I like keychain sized tools, I feel like the Juice line is many time more capable, but still pocketable.

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: February 05, 2012, 04:45:56 AM
Scissors aren't my biggest priority, and I lean heavily toward "tools" over openers/personal care, so I like the old P4 best. Very small, and good tools for its size.

...And just out of habit, I need to suggest the Juice KF4, if you can find one and don't mind a little weight in your pocket. While I like keychain sized tools, I feel like the Juice line is many time more capable, but still pocketable.
Everybody's needs are different. 

I honestly don't need pliers, even small ones, all the often.  Because of that I actually took my PS off my keychain today because I realized I genuinely don't need it.  When I do need pliers, my S2 is on the strap of my EDC bag.

My Executive, HCRI Preon 1, and my DF2 cover 99% of my needs.  I'm tired of trying to figure out what's perfect...  I'm just going to take what I think I need and leave it at that from now on.

Offline gadgetman7

Opinions Wanted- Most Useful Small LM?
Reply #42 on: February 05, 2012, 05:57:22 PM
What I carry depends on what I'm doing. If I'm at work I typically carry a Skeletool and either a CS or a Mini champ. I also have a Eagletac D25 with me. This combo works well for computers and such when I'm in an environment that restricts blade length.

When I'm at home or not at work I usually carry a PS4 and a larger folder like CRK Sebenza or Spyderco Sage or Paramilitary. But I have a Supertool, Charge/bits and duct tape, etc.  in a carry bag that is usually near me.

If I could have I only one choice for a restrictive environment it would be the Skeletool. If that's too large it would be a PS4.

I reprofiled the PS4 blade so that it works well. I've also used the pliers quite a bit for small nuts and wires and find it works well. The scissors are not that great but to me are equivalent to the V Nox Classic scissors.

I like the PS4 but the Mininchamp works well if you don't need/want the pliers.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $193.99
PayPal Fees: $11.10
Net Balance: $182.89
Below Goal: $117.11
Site Currency: USD
61%