Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Steady

J-sews · 35 · 5249

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Re: Gerber Steady
Reply #30 on: May 08, 2020, 02:17:42 PM
Another  :tu: from me for the steady 

I fancied one of these last year, couldn’t find one anywhere, so stepped up the search and eventually found a online seller with 4 left in stock - seller offered a ridiculous discount if I took all 4 - hence I now own 4!! 😎
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: May 08, 2020, 04:15:15 PM
Wow! Gerber Octane.
Wish one. Shame it was descontinued

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

I really like the octane. It’s been my light duty EDC for months now. I love the way it feels in my hand and it’s very unobtrusive clipped in my pocket. It’s about the size of a leatherman wingman but far less weight.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: May 08, 2020, 10:55:50 PM
I accidentally posted this in a different thread. I’d the mods want to remove it from the other thread please do. This is where it should be.

Got my steady today. It’s weird. It does hold my Pentax Q7. There is a tension screw under the ball so i was able to tighten the ball up to hold a slightly heavier camera. Since everything is plastic it will never tighten enough to hold a heavier camera like an SLR. The camera can easily be aimed up or down. As a mini tripod, it does a passable job. It’s way more stable than those little pods with the bendy legs.

Size wise, it’s very close to the gerber octane in all dimensions except thickness. It’s Closer to MP600 thickness. The blade is even the same shape and length as the octane. The phillips driver is pretty short, but all the other tools have good reach. The Phillips is also a nail breaker. All tools snap open and closed with very strong backsprings. Because of the backsprings the blade is a little more awkward to open one handed, but it’s still easily doable. It has a half stop too, so it won’t snap closed on fingers.

The pliers themselves are thin. Thinner than the octane, and thinner even than the CRKT Bivy pliers. They do feel pretty solid, and they have flush cutting anvil cutters, which is actually pretty nice. They’re very effective too. There is minimal flex when trying to push the plier tips apart. Even though they’re thin, they seem pretty adequate.

What isn’t adequate is the handle flex. While the plier head says medium duty, the fact the handles flex so ridiculously much means this is a light duty tool at best. I’m actually afraid if I bear down hard on this tool it will break. I’m more likely to break than my mp600, and even the octane feels impossible to destroy by squeezing (except perhaps in a vise). The steady however... if I didn’t pay fiddy bucks for it I’d try breaking it just to see if I can. I’ll bet I can.

So I’m a bit disappointed by that. The camera functionality is actually exactly as described, plus the benefit of adjustable tension.

There is plenty of room for adding a pocket clip... but nothing to screw into except plastic. The scales are not covering metal. The only metal is inside on the backbone of the knife. And even that is composed of several interlocked sections. Hence the flex.

Overall I give it a 6. The camera features are really cool but it fails as a pair of pliers. Everything else can be forgiven. I really like the plier head design, but the flex is so unnerving it’s difficult to get over. I really want to give it a 5, but the camera part and the tools bring it up a point.

Charles.

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #33 on: May 21, 2020, 08:56:12 AM
Interesting idea. However I think it will go the way of the Wenger laser pointer just because it's TOO unique. If they make things too niche it's hard to sell enough to turn a decent profit.. It has to walk the line of EDC and specialization. For example the Leatherman MUT is a shooter's tool but it is very popular because A. There's enough general purpose tools on it so it can also be a good EDC tool. And B. Many soldiers purchase them to replace their gerber multitools. It all hinges on how the Photography community reacts to it's release.
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: May 22, 2020, 01:06:07 AM
Well, the thing is it was aimed at people who carry a point and shoot camera. Nobody does that anymore, everyone just uses their phones now. I don't even have a nice P&S, just my Pentax Q7... though I've been thinking about finding one on eBay, the ones I'm interested in actually cost as much used as they did new, simply for the reason that they're the best at what they do, and none of the camera manufacturers have made anything better in the last 7 years. Because there's just not demand for a photographer-minded advanced P&S anymore.

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD