Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Will bottle openers become irrelevant?

Offline FredKJ

Re: Will bottle openers become irrelevant?
Reply #30 on: February 05, 2008, 02:54:40 AM
Here in Texas we have Big Red in glass bottles u have to use a bottle opener for.

Any drink in a glass bottle tastes 100% better than the same thing in plastic or can and worth the extra $.

Hence...hold on to those bottle openers...grab an ice cold Big Red and watch some Tour de France on the OLN.

Well I live in Denver and we have Coors here in Golden.  Then there is the joke about the Colorado, Texas and California cowboy but I won't go there.  Then Coors was bought out by Molsen and the whole made from Rocky Mountain Spring water brewed at altitude was shot to hell.  It does go better in bottles and I keep my SAK opener handy.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #31 on: February 05, 2008, 03:11:56 AM
Any beer I buy needs an opener...I think bottle openers will be included in one form or another on tools for a long time.

And a tip for those who cut their hands on so called "twist off" caps...use the front of your shirt or the end of your sleeve to cover the cap, then twist :cheers:
[

Offline FredKJ

Reply #32 on: February 05, 2008, 03:17:26 AM
When I've had to I use the front of my shirt but an opener is better.  What can I say.  I was born in Milwaukee and my grandmother on my father's side was a Zinn.  They were the hops barons who supplied most of the hops to Milwaukee at the turn of the 20th century.  So I sort of come from a hardcore beer tradition.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: February 05, 2008, 04:39:34 AM
Budweis is the German name for Budevice.  Most Czech towns have a Germanic form of the name.  It's the same place.  And there is no more Czechoslovakia.  They split up in 91 during the velvet divorce.  So there is the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

In Czech, the name of Budweis is Budejovice.  Czechvar is the trade name of Budweiser Budvar in the US.  It is the same light-colored pilsner-style lager as Budweiser Budvar.  Adolphus Busch took the name from that brewery because he liked the name--AB Budweiser beer has never been related, other than it is a light lager.  He trademarked the name first, so Budvar has to use the Czechvar name in the US.  This due to a 1939 agreement in which the Czech brewery relinquished any use of the brand name in North America.

Saying that "The Americans got hold of it and made it into watered down piss" isn't exactly correct.  The name only was taken by a German and brought to the US to be put on a new product, albeit an attempt at "emulating" a Czech pilsner--and admittedly a poor one at that.

Oddly enough, Anheuser-Busch has the sole US distribution contract with Budweiser Budvar for Czechvar (and Stella Artois, BTW).  More on that here: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/08/business/main2337011.shtml

I have a full can of Budweiser Budvar on my bar downstairs, and I've enjoyed a Pilsner in Prague too, but it doesn't necessarily mean I know anything.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 05:27:05 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: February 05, 2008, 04:42:36 AM
To the open cap of beer or soda in plastic bottles, I wrap rubber touriquet one full turn around the cap and twist.

I use either the rubber tubing tourniquet or the flat latex type.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 07:09:35 AM by edap617 »

Offline silentio

Reply #35 on: February 05, 2008, 07:01:41 AM
yikes... this discussion became one of beers.

I guess the consensus is that we still need bottle openers in multitools then. Anyhow, I'll take a can opener over a bottle opener if there was a choice to be made.

edap617, good idea about the tourniquet. I usually use a small red rubber band. Those are common here for wrapping up food in paper.

Offline FredKJ

Reply #36 on: February 05, 2008, 08:19:11 AM
Kind of hard to discuss bottle openers without discussing beer as that is the primary use for one.  I believe the technical term is "church key".  Beer is basically what you are going to open with a bottle opener and if that need went away so would the bottle opener.  Sodas no longer come in glass bottles except perhaps in rare cases.  But I suspect as long as we have a need for brew there will be a need for a bottle opener. 

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: February 05, 2008, 08:53:32 AM

Let me know how you explain that one when they search your pockets.

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: February 05, 2008, 08:56:42 AM

Let me know how you explain that one when they search your pockets.

I'll tell them I'm going to make a slingshot.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%