Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Re-finishing tools in pattern/color.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Re-finishing tools in pattern/color.
on: February 22, 2008, 11:37:52 AM
With this picture found on eBay as an impetus.

Seems like the PowerLock would not be an ideal choice because it can't be 100% broken down like other tools.

What are some tips for coating a tool?

Is there a step-by-step guide including prep work, good coating brands to work with and finishing techniques any knows of?

Did we already have a thread about this? I think there was once but search turned up nothing.

I have some old Blast parts I am not ever going to use and have been rolling the idea around of getting some Duracoat to paint them but have put it off because of the cost.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Re: Re-finishing tools in pattern/color.
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 09:54:26 PM
Same here, but I am really thinking of springing for the kit. I have wanted a Yellow Kick now for my boat, and the kiddo still wants a pink one. Maybe I have a spring prodject now.
S

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 12:41:21 AM
That's an awesome Powerlock!

I saw a Becker knife with what looked like a similar technique applied...All it looks like is a pattern held over the tool (or knife) and sprayed through.  The real trick is blending the colors and the distance and pressure of the spray.
[

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 01:23:50 AM
Actually they spray a base coat and then they put a netting over and lightly spray the tool. But I agree this guy had the feel for it!
S

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 02:08:23 AM
I agree, that looks awesome! It appears to be a black oxide tool with a gray pattern sprayed onto it.

It looks good, but how durable might it be? The Tiger Stripe model that SOG produced will scratch very easily. :(

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 02:13:55 AM
I have a plastic fantastic slide (Glock) done in dura cote. I have put most likely 5,000 rounds through it and my brother now uses it regularly. I have seen no wear on it, even though a Fobus holster is used there is no wear. The product certainly is more resistant than parkerizing.
S

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 02:20:08 AM
So this Duracoat process is pretty tough eh?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 02:28:05 AM
OK here is the scoop.

I dont know.

I have the product on one firearm, and it was done profesionaly. He charged $200 to do this, so this is not something a usual person would have done to a tool. I would allow the tool to rust away and replace it before spending that much cake on a tool. Plus I am sure the tool would cost more due to having to take it apart and do all pieces seperatly.

Now they have a bake on home kit for about 50 bucks. You bake it in your stove, but I dont know if the same tools are used to apply that a smith would have in his shop.

I guess I will have to go to some gun boards tonight and post this question.
Is the home kit as good as the pro version? and how does the end result differ?

I guess I will most likely have to bite and try it at my own expence. But that does not bother me. I want a brite tool taht wont rust.
S

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 02:41:08 AM
OK I just called the smith that did my pistol. The bake temp and the coating is the same in both the home and the pro kit. Unfortunatly the delivery system is entirely different. The pros use a dry airbrush system. That means it uses a low presure compreser with a air drying system to take out moisture. The home kit uses compressed air that has no air dry in it. so the product done at home tends to run more than the pro.

His sug is to just mist the piece then bake it. Mist again and bake. This way it will get into the metal more and not clump up.

I would be willing to get the kit and try it. But I would need the help in everyone interested by going through thier tools and finding the one tool that is the cheapest for me to try that can be taken apart with no special bits I cant get.
S

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 02:46:43 AM
I would be willing to get the kit and try it. But I would need the help in everyone interested by going through thier tools and finding the one tool that is the cheapest for me to try that can be taken apart with no special bits I cant get.

I can donate a broken down Blast if you want to wait a few weeks for me to go get it.

It is missing the file, saw and scissors but everything else is there and it's entirely apart. The screws are a little buggered since I went at it kind of hamfisted with channel-locks.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 02:57:26 AM
That would be very cool! I wasnt hinting for a handout but I will sure take one when offered.

Plus a couple weeks is good for me anyway. I got to get a couple bills out of the way before I get to buy anything new.

Also maybe someone could donate some parts to replace the missing ones to see waht a fully loaded tool acts like with the spray.
S

Offline cryptrick

Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 12:36:17 PM
This SOG is quite nice too...

(Again nabbed from ebay)

[

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 12:39:10 PM
I fail to see the wisdom in making a tool harder to find when dropped.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 01:05:50 PM
See Nomad That is my thoughts. Thats why I want it yellow.

We gots big brains me and you, Lots of booklearning :drool:
S

Offline cryptrick

Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 01:13:58 PM

We gots big brains me and you, Lots of booklearning :drool:

You suggesting I've not got a brain Hawk, dont make me travel from the UK to US to :twak: you  :D :P ;)
[

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 01:59:06 PM

We gots big brains me and you, Lots of booklearning

Some clever smurf is going to come along now and tell us both off - "Stop dropping your tools then!"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%