Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC, actual use or just in case?

KDX · 73 · 9069

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Re: EDC, actual use or just in case?
Reply #30 on: December 30, 2012, 10:21:31 PM
And then we have , all the work and season specific stuff . Examples being spare gloves and toque in winter , and extra saftey glasses and ear deffenders at work .

Chris

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: December 31, 2012, 08:33:49 PM
For me it's actual use, with a bit of "experience based just in case". I've spent years slowly dialing in my EDC, Trying to make it lighter, more efficient, less redundant, etc. Compared to a "normal" person, I carry a lot, but it's WAY less than what a lot of "EDCers" walk around with. 

It's based on what things I know I use regularly, plus how many times I've been in a situation and said "Damn, if only I had an ___". Coupled with how hard "___" is to find if I need and don't have it. I keep a few of Torx bits with my Vic bit wrench, because while I don't use them "that" often, it's often enough, and they don't tend to be laying around. If I have the wrong sized Phillips I can usually dig one up, not having a Torx usually means a trip to the store.

I don't carry a dedicated folder because I simply never need one. The blade in any given multi is enough for 99.9% of anything I need one for. I don't buy the knife as self-defense argument. I'm a big dude (6'3", 260lbs) I'm not exactly prime mugging bait. Anyone with the balls to jump me will either have a gun, or their own knife. I'll happily empty my pockets before I get into a knife fight. I want to buy a Delica for EDC, but I'm having a hard time justifying it when I may just never carry the thing.

It's just a decade of keeping track of how often I "need" what I'm carrying, and how often I kick myself for not carrying something. Anything that would fall into "just in case" is there because it's been an issue multiple times and is hard to work around not having.

Best example of this: a paperclip. I keep a paperclip in my Spirit sheath, because it's unnoticeable in there and I can't count the number of times I've needed one to poke a reset button or something and had to spend like 45 minutes trying to find something that would work.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #32 on: December 31, 2012, 09:02:54 PM
I have started carrying a pair of nitrile coated lycra gloves in my back pocket.  I carry them at work because I can't do my job without them, but after carrying them at home I am shocked how often I need them.  They aren't warm or anything, but they are thin and sit flat in my back pocket, and the nitrile coating is grippy and comes in handy more often than I realized. 

Just an example of an ever evolving EDC.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: December 31, 2012, 09:22:38 PM
I had a set of those once. Very handy, but I just never wound up having a use for them.

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 06:35:26 PM
I've been downsizing quite a bit over the last few month just for this reason. My current EDC reflects my change in attitude:

Knife - a SAK Recruit or an older Gerber LST. I used to carry a bigger knife "just in case" I needed a back-up weapon, but came to the realization that I'm no knife fighter and, if its gotten to that point I should be running!

Flashlight - a single AA LED. I recognize the necessity for a flashlight, but stopped carrying a multibazillion lumen "tactical" combat flashlight/impact tool.

Wallet - a Maxpedition Micro Wallet. It carries my drivers license, my CPL and my debit and credit card. Nothing else. If I go to Costco or the library, I get my card out of my drawer.

Pen - a Fisher Bullet Space Pen. I hate not being able to jot stuff down or sign things without borrowing a writing implement. The Space Pen works 100% of the time and can write underwater - how cool is that? (Useless for me, but cool anyway). It also makes a decent pain compliance tool.

Multitool - a Leatherman Juice S2. Many functions, small size. If I need a bigger tool, I go to my workbench or tool kit. Generally that means I can't fix it anyway.

Pistol - a Keltec P32. No, it's not a death ray, but it will make someone think twice about continuing their anti-social behavior as I fill their abdomen or cranium with small attitude adjusters.

Hankerchief - not a bandana, just a hankerchief. Still has multiple uses, but no fear of disrespecting someones color (not that anyone would ever mistake me for a gang member).
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline bendbig

Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 02:54:23 AM
Charge TTi -- used multiple times each day.
BenchMade -- seems like I have it out in use all day.
Spyderco -- used less then my BM but used non the less. 
Elzetta flashlight -- the older I get the more I need it.
Keys/ wallet -- gotta get to work and pay for gas.
Fenix light -- backup light.
Have a couple tools coming to add Widgy and TT-7 pocket tool.
Evolving everyday.
Now to find a EDC belt pouch I like.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #36 on: January 11, 2013, 06:02:17 PM
Knife - a SAK Recruit or an older Gerber LST. I used to carry a bigger knife "just in case" I needed a back-up weapon, but came to the realization that I'm no knife fighter and, if its gotten to that point I should be running!

Pistol - a Keltec P32. No, it's not a death ray, but it will make someone think twice about continuing their anti-social behavior as I fill their abdomen or cranium with small attitude adjusters.

On the knife thing... yeah... I've carried a OHO blade for a very long time, and last year switched to a OHO Trekker. But the truth is, if I'm not working as an assistant to an Electrician friend, the only other time I need OHO is if bad things were happening, and at that point, I don't think a knife is a better option than beating feet. So, now I'm carrying a Farmer.

On pistols... I'm looking at both the Kel Tec P11 and PF9 as CCW options, but I'm also looking at the NAA mini revolvers (probably the Black Widow). More a dissuasion than one stop drop. Considering the odds of ever needing it, I think it would suffice.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 01:47:00 AM
My EDC is actual use.
My folder and multi get use everyday. Same as my flashlight and pocket watch and fountain pen. The lest used item i carry is my cellphone. My pipe tobacco pouch gets use my than my cell and wallet combined lol.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #38 on: January 12, 2013, 02:20:25 AM
I'm a bit of both.  At work my usual load is SAK, larger folder, slipjoint, and multi.  The large folder is my box cutter and all-around utility blade, usually my Kershaw Needs Work.  The slipjoint is for opening packages and doing cutting around customers who may not be thrilled with the AO Kershaw.  The scissors, can opener, and large screwdriver see lots of use on the SAK.  As for the multi, there are times where it doesn't see any use at all during the day, and others where it doesn't seem to make it back into the sheath, it's doing so much! 
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #39 on: January 12, 2013, 09:57:11 AM
I'm a bit of both.  At work my usual load is SAK, larger folder, slipjoint, and multi.  The large folder is my box cutter and all-around utility blade, usually my Kershaw Needs Work.  The slipjoint is for opening packages and doing cutting around customers who may not be thrilled with the AO Kershaw.  The scissors, can opener, and large screwdriver see lots of use on the SAK.  As for the multi, there are times where it doesn't see any use at all during the day, and others where it doesn't seem to make it back into the sheath, it's doing so much!

My SAK sees the most use, with my Wave's main blade second.  I don't always need my Wave but man when I do it's a life saver.  My flashlight gets used every day, more than anything else.

00 Offline Boyen

Reply #40 on: January 12, 2013, 08:00:34 PM
If the anti-social person thinks the same way as you it probably wouldn't end well for the both of you. Worse though, you're sort of playing god when you decide what is anti-social and what isn't. I don't think violence is ever the answer. Just saying..

My most used EDC;

Watch - I got a Seiko Titanium Chronograph. I've had it for 11 years now and I check it very often.

Phone - Galaxy Note; Agenda, Alarm, Internet, time wasters against boredom.

Keychain wise I got a flashlight (Olight I3) which I seldomly use I have to say. Still when I use it I'm generally very happy with it.
A Whistle, which I haven't used at all yet. Still, it weights nothing and it's a life saver. Small cost for high gain.
A Kingston Datatraveler with 16GB which I use a lot. I'm moving a lot between computers.
A Micra, from which I mosly use the scissors. I sometimes use the drivers and I probably wouldn't use the knife on it.
A Della Costa Fabi tool which I haven't needed a lot, mostly the prying I have used. The knife on it hasn't seen any use at all.

Then I carry a SkeletoolCX on my belt from which the bottle opener sees a fair bit of use. The Knife I use for packages when I use it. And the drivers see some use as well. I don't have much use for the pliers.
Sometimes I carry a Soldier instead, which misses the pliers. But sees the same use otherwise.

On a normal day, I could probably do without the DCF tool. Likewise on the Soldier/Skeletool. What I come across in an every day - there's some redundancy in the knives and drivers.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 08:15:17 PM by Boyen »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #41 on: January 14, 2013, 02:37:18 AM
If the anti-social person thinks the same way as you it probably wouldn't end well for the both of you. Worse though, you're sort of playing god when you decide what is anti-social and what isn't. I don't think violence is ever the answer. Just saying..

Sadly, violence is the answer. Should be the last resort. Just saying....

Nice set up.
Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #42 on: January 14, 2013, 05:45:28 PM

I'm guessing you have never had your well being or life threatened by someone with lower moral standards than what you have expressed. And that is great. You need to thank the people who have chosen to stand between you and violence. Law enforcement, military, even the security guard at the mall, are responsible for your feeling of comfort and safety. And you should know that it is an illusion. Take a look around you right now and see if there is a police officer in sight. Are you prepared, right now, to defend yourself from a determined attacker?

Let me tell you this from personal experience: Once you have stared into someone's eyes, over the barrel of their gun, the blade of their knife, the spike in their bat, or even their fists. Once you have seen their aggression. Once you have realized that you don't have time to call for help, never mind waiting for it to arrive. Once you have feared for your life, your attitude will change. You need to learn that criminals are not moral, reasonable, law abiding citizens. Aggressive self-defence is not "violence", it is an appropriate answer. It is a response, and a solution, to a problem. Violence is what criminals subject their victims to.

I fully support those who take responsibility for their own safety, and I believe that they should be allowed to carry the tools required to do so. If that includes carrying a baton, pepper spray, a knife, or a firearm I have no issue with it. As long as they are trained and competent, of course. Those who wish to disarm citizens are doing nothing more than creating victims for criminals to prey upon.

I refuse to be a victim ever again. Just saying...

Dave

Oh, and I EDC all kinds of gear, from a multitool to a torque and gloves. Most of it has been used at one time or another, but certainly not every day. A few items have never been used, mostly the outdoors survival type gear like the water filter, plastic tarp, fire starting stuff. And it has all been used when least expected.

Sent from my iPad2
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 05:52:37 PM by 16VGTIDave »
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

00 Offline Boyen

Reply #43 on: January 14, 2013, 07:22:51 PM
Ho, ho, when did this become about the right to own and carry arms? You're reading too much into this.

My comment was that the answer to asocial behaviour is not a gun. It's disproportional, subjective and will only lead to more agression. There are much better ways of dealing with asocial behaviour than swinging a gun in someones face.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 07:25:38 PM by Boyen »

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #44 on: January 14, 2013, 07:34:14 PM
Alright guys and gals, let's get this thread back on topic: EDC, actual use in my case. I occasionally add items to my EDC but if they don't get used for some predefined amount of time (say, 1 month) they get dropped in a "not quite there yet" bin at home.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #45 on: January 14, 2013, 07:38:49 PM
:tu: ^
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #46 on: January 14, 2013, 07:41:09 PM

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #47 on: January 14, 2013, 11:07:26 PM
I think she's saying she likes carrots? :D

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #48 on: January 14, 2013, 11:08:02 PM
Chinese carrots wearing hats. Sorted :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #49 on: January 14, 2013, 11:45:04 PM
Most EDC gets used. My work bag (Victorinox Trevi) has pens, stationary, seal, USB sticks etc. I used to carry an Archos but I rarely had time to listen at music, so I take it in my travel bag (a black Victorinox backpack) for trips.
In my leisure bag (Victorinox Sling) or my pockets I move stuff from my work bag: Electronic cigarettes (my "pipes") and juice, my Vic Swisschamp XLT, keys (with Minichamp), tissues, sunglasses, Opinel, all used everyday.
In my pockets a wallet, kompoloi, Harvester. A watch (my Casio Protek for outdoors, one of 3-4 for everyday, my Swissc Military is my favorite). An iPhone replaced my phone and Palm and Sony DSC (only for travels now carried) and I use it as a torch and GPS also.
I could use just one knife/ multitool instead of 2-4 at any time, the Minichamp should generally be enough. But I like to play with them. Not for self defense, I never felt threatened yet. Never carried a gun, although I'd like a Sig Sauer or Glock for sport shooting (and a Luger Parabellum for caressing). But not for EDC, we'll all die someday, what the hell?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #50 on: January 15, 2013, 11:02:16 PM
At some point recently, I started dumping a lot of the stuff I had in my purse, thinking 'This is dumb'.

I still had a little 'Survival tin' in there, a bit larger than an altoids tin, and it has one of those thermal emergency blankets in it. Even that, I was thinking was kind of stupid.

Then, the other day, a father and his two sons died of hypothermia on a hike in the Ozarks. And i can't help but think it might not have been that way, for the want of a stupid $2 survival blanket.
http://www.webpronews.com/father-sons-die-hiking-in-the-ozarks-2013-01

The weather in these parts can swing wildly, and what started off as a 50 degree F afternoon soon turned to freezing rain. Maybe my little survival tin isn't such a bad idea after all.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: January 15, 2013, 11:18:17 PM
At some point recently, I started dumping a lot of the stuff I had in my purse, thinking 'This is dumb'.

I still had a little 'Survival tin' in there, a bit larger than an altoids tin, and it has one of those thermal emergency blankets in it. Even that, I was thinking was kind of stupid.

Then, the other day, a father and his two sons died of hypothermia on a hike in the Ozarks. And i can't help but think it might not have been that way, for the want of a stupid $2 survival blanket.
http://www.webpronews.com/father-sons-die-hiking-in-the-ozarks-2013-01

The weather in these parts can swing wildly, and what started off as a 50 degree F afternoon soon turned to freezing rain. Maybe my little survival tin isn't such a bad idea after all.
Here in Nor-Cal we have a great network of regional parks, administered by the state government.  They have a husband-wife naturalist team (Dino and Susan Labiste) who work out of a couple of the parks in the east San Francisco bay area who teach outdoors skills, survival skills, and so on.  They've both taken/been trained by Cody Lundin and my wife and I have taken several of their classes through EBRPD. 

The point of my mentioning it, is that those "survival" blankets are more or less worthless as a blanket.  They really don't insulate at all, and they reflect very little body heat back on you.  Cody Lundin recommends they be used as a reflector inside a shelter for a fire, so they collect and concentrate the heat from a fire in the space in the shelter.  So, I doubt one of those would really have helped those poor souls unless they'd had fire-making tools and experience.

Of all the classes I've taken from the Labiste's, I've done more of their fire-making classes than any other, and I'm actually pretty proficient with a fire-bow and/or a hand-drill now.  I've also taken a cordage making class, a flint knapping class, and an outdoor survival skills class as well.  What I've taken away from this is that if you're lost out in the woods, the two things you want to have more than anything else are a knife, and some cordage.  Just those two things will get you pretty far in a tight spot.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #52 on: January 16, 2013, 03:46:36 AM
I had a situation y'day that someone needed multiple lighters to light candles with and didn't bring them. My wife came up to the studio because she knows that I carry multiple lighters. I don't need three or four lighters that I carry but I'm the 'go to' in these situations :tu:
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: January 16, 2013, 10:26:38 AM
I had a situation y'day that someone needed multiple lighters to light candles with and didn't bring them. My wife came up to the studio because she knows that I carry multiple lighters. I don't need three or four lighters that I carry but I'm the 'go to' in these situations :tu:
you da man Stealth ! i'm sure you have 'back-up' cigars too ? :D

Heinz, I have often thought "why not have several lighters" instead of these folks who swear by 'flint and steel' (i'm by no means a wilderness type, just interested) and as for knobbing about with string and friction  :o
i understand it's cool. i understand it's good knowledge to have in a 'what if' situation but more emphasis on "remember that (those) lighters" sounds like really sound advise to me ! if you can remember a fire steel why not take a lighter ? (this is not meant to be a criticism, just a musing)

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #54 on: January 16, 2013, 04:02:11 PM
you da man Stealth ! i'm sure you have 'back-up' cigars too ? :D

:D

Sent from Endor using Schlapatok
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #55 on: January 16, 2013, 04:39:41 PM
Heinz, I have often thought "why not have several lighters" instead of these folks who swear by 'flint and steel' (i'm by no means a wilderness type, just interested) and as for knobbing about with string and friction  :o
i understand it's cool. i understand it's good knowledge to have in a 'what if' situation but more emphasis on "remember that (those) lighters" sounds like really sound advise to me ! if you can remember a fire steel why not take a lighter ? (this is not meant to be a criticism, just a musing)

I'm generally of the same thinking, but Lighters can fail. Now the odds of multiple lighters failing starts looking pretty unlikely, so not a lot of problem.

I think a lot of survival folks who complain about lighters running out of fluid fail to remember that they still have a spark wheel, which is easily used one-handed, and usually reliable for MUCH longer than the fuel in the lighter lasts.

I will say that you can get some very small ferro rods that will sit nicely in the smallest kits. If space is at an ABSOLUTE premium. Still, yes, I'd rather have a lighter.

As to the use of a mylar survival blanket... I'm sorry, but first, it would simply keep rain off them. Second, if it doesn't reflect body heat... but DOES reflect campfire heat... I'm calling BS on that. Heat is heat. It either does or doesn't reflect it, and I've seen IR videos, they DO reflect heat, and they do it well. I completely agree that they don't insulate. Not much to be done there. Would it have been enough to make a difference? Well, I don't know. For the cost and the weight, it should have been along for the ride, IMO.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: January 16, 2013, 04:57:46 PM
I think some of the point with ferro rods is that they can both be stored and "forgotten", and will work in cold weather. Butane lighters don't like the cold, petrol lighters don't like time.

As for rescue blankets... I'm used to keeping out of the wind and keeping dry being the two main priorities, and for that they would help.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #57 on: January 16, 2013, 05:13:33 PM
The emergency blankets are waterproof and windproof which in and of itself will help to avoid heat loss. Beyond that it helps recover your radiated heat, and retain convected heat. As a reflecter (and shelter combined) to harness heat from a fire is probably the most efficient means of heating, assuming you (or whoever else needs it) isn't already hyperthermic (as external heating should be avoided, as should hot drinks). There is definitely merit to them in a kit.

In fact if you look at the vast majority of PSK's out there (both commercially available and home built) they're generally missing the bloody point anyway. The first three things you're liable to need are first aid, shelter, and water ... I've NEVER seen a pocket sized PSK adequately prepared in that respect.

... though I do have plans to try something out myself ...  >:D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #58 on: January 16, 2013, 06:35:31 PM
I have no idea what that survival blanket is exactly but regarding the reflection or not of IR the frequency of the radiation is also a factor. So something that reflects low f radiation may not reflect higher f radiation (low f  -> long wavelength, ?  => simply put a "bigger" ray which needs more space to pass through something).

This may explain why there could be a difference observed between the reflection of body heat and heat from a fire etc.  (see greenhouse effect). Theoretically body heat should be more easily reflected.

Also, assuming the same efficiency in reflection (not right anyway) a big heat source reflected will be felt more  than a small source reflected.

and so on....
end of boring you lot.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: January 16, 2013, 06:48:52 PM
I have no idea what that survival blanket is exactly but regarding the reflection or not of IR the frequency of the radiation is also a factor. So something that reflects low f radiation may not reflect higher f radiation (low f  -> long wavelength, ?  => simply put a "bigger" ray which needs more space to pass through something).

This may explain why there could be a difference observed between the reflection of body heat and heat from a fire etc.  (see greenhouse effect). Theoretically body heat should be more easily reflected.

Also, assuming the same efficiency in reflection (not right anyway) a big heat source reflected will be felt more  than a small source reflected.

and so on....
end of boring you lot.
you're not boring anyone ! knowledge is always good to have  :tu:
I wonder could you answer a question for me , you sound like you know your 'stuff' , i've not been able to find a definitve answere to this one
" if you had a space blanket and wool blanket , which would be the best (warmest) way to wrap yourself in them ?" (foil under wool or over the top trapping heat in the wool)
if you were out of the rain and wind obviously, in a shelter perhaps .

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%