Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What did you use your Sak on today?

colt 1911 · 10819 · 581399

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
What did you use your Sak on today?
Reply #9390 on: June 26, 2021, 07:57:08 PM
:iagree:

A SAK is tool for freeing one’s from problems and resolving issues.

No matter how small a problem is, it stops function and threatens mission, until it is resolved.

A piece of foam caused an epic catastrophe during a space shuttle flight.

A spark in an Apollo space capsule sitting on a launch pad incinerated 3 astronauts and called an entire space program.

Even the smallest issue resolved is cause for cheering in my book.

After each problem solved I sense an entire probability wave function ranging from no adversity to epic catastrophe collapse.

Really.

This is why I get such a kick out of fixing things and solving problems—any things and any problems.

Afterwards I feel so good; even when I am not doing it for money anymore.

And I really can never let go of an unsolved problem, because I know that wave function is still out there.

There really are just two kinds of persons in my book: those that try to collapse the wave function with a fix, and those that don’t give a damn about what could happen to their fellow cause they don’t care enough to fix things.

Enjoy EVERY moment after you fix something no matter how small.

God only knows what you averted in the cascade of events that might have been.

Frank Capra’s ITS A WONDERFUL LIFE was about this very thing.

A part of each of us is George Bailey.

Capra who served as a documentary and war propaganda filmmaker in WWII and who spent  his life making Hollywood films with teams of technicians deeply  understood this: everything undertaken can be enabled or undone by even a tiny problem improperly dealt with. Capra’s films showed that every person, not just big wigs, has a role in outcomes.

I can argue almost every issue both ways.

But I have no doubt that idfevery person in the world were gifted a CYBERTOOL like mine that the next day the world would have fewer problems unresolved and work a little better.
Couldn’t agree more
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What did you use your Sak on today?
Reply #9391 on: June 27, 2021, 06:45:26 AM
Cutting creeper vines out the lawn

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #9392 on: June 27, 2021, 03:13:13 PM
Work Champ helped with home lemonade preps

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #9393 on: June 27, 2021, 03:52:14 PM
Looks refreshing, Alexanderre! :cheers:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #9394 on: June 29, 2021, 10:33:43 AM
:iagree:

A SAK is tool for freeing one’s from problems and resolving issues.

No matter how small a problem is, it stops function and threatens mission, until it is resolved.

A piece of foam caused an epic catastrophe during a space shuttle flight.

A spark in an Apollo space capsule sitting on a launch pad incinerated 3 astronauts and called an entire space program.

Even the smallest issue resolved is cause for cheering in my book.

After each problem solved I sense an entire probability wave function ranging from no adversity to epic catastrophe collapse.

Really.

This is why I get such a kick out of fixing things and solving problems—any things and any problems.

Afterwards I feel so good; even when I am not doing it for money anymore.

And I really can never let go of an unsolved problem, because I know that wave function is still out there.

There really are just two kinds of persons in my book: those that try to collapse the wave function with a fix, and those that don’t give a damn about what could happen to their fellow cause they don’t care enough to fix things.

Enjoy EVERY moment after you fix something no matter how small.

God only knows what you averted in the cascade of events that might have been.

Frank Capra’s ITS A WONDERFUL LIFE was about this very thing.

A part of each of us is George Bailey.

Capra who served as a documentary and war propaganda filmmaker in WWII and who spent  his life making Hollywood films with teams of technicians deeply  understood this: everything undertaken can be enabled or undone by even a tiny problem improperly dealt with. Capra’s films showed that every person, not just big wigs, has a role in outcomes.

I can argue almost every issue both ways.

But I have no doubt that idfevery person in the world were gifted a CYBERTOOL like mine that the next day the world would have fewer problems unresolved and work a little better.

Epic post man....  :like:
I couldn't have said it better myself!  :salute:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #9395 on: July 05, 2021, 03:31:44 PM
Yesterday was a busy day for knives and tools.

I was at an Independence Day cookout and had the Pioneer X with me. I'd thought about bringing the Nomad, but figured the blade would be unnecessarily large, while the scissors on the Px would be useful.  I also entertained the thought of carrying a Leatherman KBX when I grabbed it off the dresser to open a package.

I chose correctly!

One of my friends was carrying a Buck Slim... Select? Pro? And that was coming in useful for opening packages of groceries... Getting passed around quite a bit, on account of it's no-nonsense usability.

I used the Pioneer X to cut the plastic straps securing a new canopy. I lent it out when the party favors were being distributed for the kids... To separate out stickers and whatnot. Later in the evening I used it again to take down some decorations.

The question is... What do you want to do?  No nonsense? Or stickers for the kids? Or both?

« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 03:50:57 PM by ElevenBlade »

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #9396 on: July 06, 2021, 11:29:45 PM
Used the 'large' blade on my Executive to cut the power lead off of an old tumble dryer, I was expecting it to go far worse than it did  :dunno:

3 copper cables inside the main sheath, it got 85% through on the first try and finished the rest with ease. No visible damage to the edge from the copper innards nor any blade play.

In future I'll use more appropriate blades still (last time I did something like this it was the Rebar's serrated blade), but I was too lazy to go get something else  :facepalm:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #9397 on: July 07, 2021, 12:18:11 PM
Used the 'large' blade on my Executive to cut the power lead off of an old tumble dryer, I was expecting it to go far worse than it did  :dunno:

3 copper cables inside the main sheath, it got 85% through on the first try and finished the rest with ease. No visible damage to the edge from the copper innards nor any blade play.

In future I'll use more appropriate blades still (last time I did something like this it was the Rebar's serrated blade), but I was too lazy to go get something else  :facepalm:

Dude, that's not how you cut cables...

:pok: :pok:

* wire.jpg (Filesize: 7.54 KB)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

au Offline Echotech

Reply #9398 on: July 10, 2021, 06:52:35 AM
Hikers small blade to swap scales on forester

us Offline Acuphys1

Reply #9399 on: July 10, 2021, 07:37:26 AM
Yesterday was a busy day for knives and tools.

I was at an Independence Day cookout and had the Pioneer X with me. I'd thought about bringing the Nomad, but figured the blade would be unnecessarily large, while the scissors on the Px would be useful.  I also entertained the thought of carrying a Leatherman KBX when I grabbed it off the dresser to open a package.

I chose correctly!

One of my friends was carrying a Buck Slim... Select? Pro? And that was coming in useful for opening packages of groceries... Getting passed around quite a bit, on account of it's no-nonsense usability.

I used the Pioneer X to cut the plastic straps securing a new canopy. I lent it out when the party favors were being distributed for the kids... To separate out stickers and whatnot. Later in the evening I used it again to take down some decorations.

The question is... What do you want to do?  No nonsense? Or stickers for the kids? Or both?
Any Victorinox SAK will take care of pretty much everything.
We choose other knives because we enjoy them....and we CAN.
God bless the 2nd Ammendment.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Use what you have to get what you want.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #9400 on: July 10, 2021, 02:48:31 PM
Any Victorinox SAK will take care of pretty much everything.
We choose other knives because we enjoy them....and we CAN.
God bless the 2nd Ammendment.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Knives and edged weapons are categorically excluded from the rights afforded by the Second Amendment.

Only firearms are considered "arms" under the Second Amendment. We do not have the "right" to carry a knife.  :rant:  Edged weapons are not protected under the 2A.  Mark this.

Even the freedom of religion doesn't protect the right to carry a knife - a little known tradition of the Sikhs is that they carry a (usually 6cm unsharpened) dagger as a reminder to "fight for those who can't fight for themselves". Even that's prohibited in many jurisdictions.

On to the Freedom of Speech.... The 1A protects speech against the government from being restricted BY the government. Any private entity such as MTo is allowed to prevent me from speaking about politics (though in this case it's more about Law).

And I will gladly abide by this and shut up. Because, MTo remains the one and only good place on the internet where people get along and are civil toward one another.  :cheers:

But please do mark it for me...  The Second Amendment does not protect the right to bear edged weapons... Only firearms.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9401 on: July 10, 2021, 03:09:31 PM
Knives and edged weapons are categorically excluded from the rights afforded by the Second Amendment.

Only firearms are considered "arms" under the Second Amendment. We do not have the "right" to carry a knife.  :rant:  Edged weapons are not protected under the 2A.  Mark this.

Even the freedom of religion doesn't protect the right to carry a knife - a little known tradition of the Sikhs is that they carry a (usually 6cm unsharpened) dagger as a reminder to "fight for those who can't fight for themselves". Even that's prohibited in many jurisdictions.

On to the Freedom of Speech.... The 1A protects speech against the government from being restricted BY the government. Any private entity such as MTo is allowed to prevent me from speaking about politics (though in this case it's more about Law).

And I will gladly abide by this and shut up. Because, MTo remains the one and only good place on the internet where people get along and are civil toward one another.  :cheers:

But please do mark it for me...  The Second Amendment does not protect the right to bear edged weapons... Only firearms.

Having said that, if you have a bayonet mounted on your M16...

:whistle:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #9402 on: July 10, 2021, 03:12:39 PM
Having said that, if you have a bayonet mounted on your M16...

:whistle:

:facepalm:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9403 on: July 10, 2021, 03:21:26 PM
:facepalm:

That's portuguese "desenrascanço".

Translating to “disentanglement, ” desenrascanço is a kind of Portuguese MacGyverism. It’s the art of finding a solution to a problem out of left field, without the skills or resources one would usually require. It’s artful disentanglement from a problem: throwing together a costume right before a party using the clothes already hanging in your wardrobe, propping up a wobbly table leg using the novel in your bag, or just about anything you do with duct tape.

:D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

au Offline Echotech

Reply #9404 on: July 11, 2021, 01:46:56 AM

Translating to “disentanglement, ” desenrascanço is a kind of Portuguese MacGyverism. It’s the art of finding a solution to a problem out of left field, without the skills or resources one would usually require. It’s artful disentanglement from a problem: throwing together a costume right before a party using the clothes already hanging in your wardrobe, propping up a wobbly table leg using the novel in your bag, or just about anything you do with duct tape.

Great word and examples :like:

Offline engineer_in_nj

Reply #9405 on: July 11, 2021, 03:56:06 AM
Took my eldest daughter to the sporting goods store to buy us baseball mitts and some baseballs. Used my SAK to take off the packaging. We played for a while in the park.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #9406 on: July 11, 2021, 03:39:34 PM
Restrung my Tele today.

Work Champ not only unpacked a new set of strings

But also helped with intonation adjustment

and excess length trimming

bg Offline DavisNikolov

Reply #9407 on: July 11, 2021, 04:01:50 PM
The keyring and the red scales on 91mm Victorinox turned out to be a decent makeshift rattler to get a toddles attention. He even grabbed it and that is a big deal as he is still learning to control his hands.  No pictures because I do not  want the baby on the internet but he seemed pretty interested. Times when I will have to hide my toys are coming soon  :climber:

us Offline TonySal

• join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #9408 on: July 12, 2021, 04:03:57 AM
The keyring and the red scales on 91mm Victorinox turned out to be a decent makeshift rattler to get a toddles attention. He even grabbed it and that is a big deal as he is still learning to control his hands.  No pictures because I do not  want the baby on the internet but he seemed pretty interested. Times when I will have to hide my toys are coming soon  :climber:

:tu:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #9409 on: July 12, 2021, 07:00:17 PM

Just a funny fact in line with what pfrsantos said...
In our country, in our pervious "regime" (up until 1974), there was once a stupid law about the use of cigarette lighters (as opposed to using matches) outside that roughly stated literally that: "the use of cigarette lighters and similar is forbidden in a public setting without a proper license, unless it's used "under Roof tile" (meaning "only indoors"), so there was some younger, more daring folks who used to carry a piece of a roof tile in their pocket's so they could use their lighters outside without a license (lighting the cigarette "under Roof tile") and not getting a fine by the state police...  :rofl:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 07:24:19 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #9410 on: July 12, 2021, 07:02:13 PM
Restrung my Tele today.

(Image removed from quote.)

Lovely Tele mate...  :like:

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #9411 on: July 13, 2021, 12:10:15 AM
Lovely Tele mate...  :like:
Thanks, bud, cheers

au Offline Echotech

Reply #9412 on: July 15, 2021, 05:51:06 AM
Couple of uses of the rambler so far today. Was up at the shops and needed to seal a box, shopkeeper leant me a big roll of tape but nothing to cut it, out with the scissors.

And flathead used to fit blade to Kraken Blade by Oceanus Brass

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9413 on: July 15, 2021, 11:07:30 AM
Just a funny fact in line with what pfrsantos said...
In our country, in our pervious "regime" (up until 1974), there was once a stupid law about the use of cigarette lighters (as opposed to using matches) outside that roughly stated literally that: "the use of cigarette lighters and similar is forbidden in a public setting without a proper license, unless it's used "under Roof tile" (meaning "only indoors"), so there was some younger, more daring folks who used to carry a piece of a roof tile in their pocket's so they could use their lighters outside without a license (lighting the cigarette "under Roof tile") and not getting a fine by the state police...  :rofl:

Above awl, we're law abiding citizens...

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #9414 on: July 16, 2021, 12:33:22 AM
Above awl, we're law abiding citizens...

:angel: :angel:

us Offline TonySal

Reply #9415 on: July 17, 2021, 03:52:23 AM
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline TonySal

Reply #9416 on: July 17, 2021, 03:57:36 AM
Restrung my Tele today.

Yes! SAKs are perfect for musicians. What could possibly need fixing 10 minutes before a gig .... :whistle:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline TonySal

Reply #9417 on: July 17, 2021, 03:59:17 AM
Took my eldest daughter to the sporting goods store to buy us baseball mitts and some baseballs. Used my SAK to take off the packaging. We played for a while in the park.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
anatletic one, great!
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline TonySal

Reply #9418 on: July 17, 2021, 04:03:39 AM
Hikers small blade to swap scales on forester

see you have one of the SAK fire starter things, worked? Didn't try yet?
join KNIFE RIGHTS

au Offline Echotech

Reply #9419 on: July 17, 2021, 04:23:35 AM
see you have one of the SAK fire starter things, worked? Didn't try yet?
Yes they do Tony, surprisingly well for something so small. Best to watch the video on their site for the technique as it’d be easy to break.

The Firefly shown I’ve found better than the Fireant which fits in the corkscrew but the Fireant comes with tinder that also works well. It does work I should add but a bit fiddly.

You can get the tinder separately on the Tortoise Gear website so would recommend Firefly plus tinder and then you get to keep the mini driver, although do lose the toothpick, so suppose depends which is more important to you

:cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD