Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Condor Greenland Pattern Axe (Hatechet really...)

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Condor Greenland Pattern Axe (Hatechet really...)
on: January 04, 2013, 04:22:19 PM
Anyone have any experience with both these?  I've watched a couple boob-tube vids on them, but no one mentions whether the one they are using/talking about has the 1.5 lb head, or the 2.5 lb head...

I'm interested in a larger hatchet about this size (16" overall) for pack carry, and really like the shape and profile of the head on this one.  I've read that it's a low price near-clone of a Wetterlings of the same size.

I generally prefer to keep my load light when I can, so, I'm wondering if anyone knows how much utility/functionality you sacrifice by going with the one with the lighter head...  If I went with the 1.5 lb model, am I giving up a lot in terms of chopping/splitting power compared to the 2.5 lb model? 

If so, for the about 2 lbs the lighter one would weigh overall, I'd probably just rather go with a big knife, and the Lochnessmuk is really appealing to me...
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Condor Greenland Pattern Axe (Hatechet really...)
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 05:06:03 PM
I'ze not sampled anything by Condor at all yet, but have heard their products can be quite agricultural in finish. With that in mind I don't think I'd take a chance on buying one of these online. I (personally) would only pay for one in a store where I could sight the head down the haft first to make sure it's central and inline, and also inspect the grinds to see what sort of reshaping it might need.

The handcrafted Swedish stuff I trust enough to buy sight unseen, but I don't have that confidence in Condor from the comments I've heard. Hard working and robust, yes - but a good safe axe needs to be done right otherwise it's going to do someone a mischief

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 05:32:15 PM
I own a handful of condor axes but not this model so I can't help there. I also own a couple wetterlings and I used to own gb. My favorite was the gb but I sold it. Of the wetterlings and condor axes and hatchets, I like them equally. I think the carbon steel axes from condor are great bang for the buck and function very well. I should say that one of their sheaths did not snap though, so I emailed the contact on their catalogs and he sent me a new sheath. I own one of the 440c hatchets and it is very dull. Also baryonyx is a store that inspects their condor products for defects and only sell pieces that pass their inspection. They do a good job.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 07:46:24 PM
No experience with Condor axes (they do look good though) but I will say that if I was buying one to carry around I'd definitely go with the lighter option.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 12:46:32 AM
Thanks for the info guys.  I've already got a couple other Condor products, so I'm familiar with their general status as "project" knives out of the box.  Not a problem for me. 

I'm thinking the lighter one would be a better choice for pack carry, and be easier to handle all around.  Only question then is would a larger knife be a better choice or not?    :think:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 12:53:14 AM
It depends on exactly what you are doing of course, but if you are willing to carry even a small hatchet you'll find almost all 'wood precessing' work much easier IMO.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%