Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What makes a SAK so elegant?

Smaug · 35 · 3308

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
What makes a SAK so elegant?
on: January 25, 2013, 02:58:07 PM
I have both SAKs and plier-based ITs. I've been carrying pliers-based tools for the last week or so. But I found that I never dug them but just to look st them, as I do with my SAKs.

It's not the blade snap, as some Leathermen have a great snap/lock action to them. It's not the versatility, as pliers-based tools are more versatile.

It isn't the fit or finish either. Leathermen are fit just as well. SOGs are finished just as well, but I don't like them.

I can't figure out what it is. Kyle best guess is that they are such a perfect overall design, that does so many things well without being too heavy. (at least for > 4 layer models) I think aesthetic design is part of the equation too, kind of like how a Swiss watch is usually more pleasing than a Japanese one.

Thoughts?
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

se Offline Northern Geek

Re: What makes a SAK so elegant?
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 03:15:47 PM
Maybe the overall compact feel of them? Plenty of function in a relatively small package? Plus they generally just feel good to fiddle with as well.

I agree about the design as well, they look good. :tu:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 03:36:41 PM
First, your question makes an assumption that a SAK IS more pleasing aesthetically. While this might be true for you individually, it is not necessarily a given for everyone.

However, I think overall, I agree, so I'll play along. I'm going to go in a strange place for my answer.

I wrote a piece on sailing ships and shipbuilding a few years back, and did a fair amount of research on ship building for it. Since ancient days, ships tended to be of 2 proportions, 'long', and 'round'. Long ships are faster, round ships have better cargo capacity for their crew requirement. That's a simplification, but will get my point across. In terms of proportions, Plier based tools are like Round Ships and SAKs are (until the layers stack too thick) more like Long Ships. Elegance may be considered a simple function of overall dimensions.

Another possible answer is the lines. The standard Vic 91mm models' scales have very simple lines that flow very well. While the scales may have (at least to me) a very slight hint of Art Deco, I think that more accurately, it evolved into the shape its in by testing, and just happens to have a slight Art Deco vibe. Regardless, it moves the eye well.

Finally, there may simply be something in you that connects the design to fond memories. If you use these things over a lifetime, and have a little mental tally of your opinion of them... and that opinion is high, just looking at them pings that. Just looking at them could please you, with years of experience telling you that this thing is good, and has helped you in life... possibly really solved a small but critical problem, or maybe just a thousand little fixes to make your life better.

Just some thoughts.

us Offline BradGad

Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 04:29:54 PM
Finally, there may simply be something in you that connects the design to fond memories. If you use these things over a lifetime, and have a little mental tally of your opinion of them... and that opinion is high, just looking at them pings that. Just looking at them could please you, with years of experience telling you that this thing is good, and has helped you in life... possibly really solved a small but critical problem, or maybe just a thousand little fixes to make your life better.

This is definitely part of the equation for me.

Related to long vs. round... the "long" form factor of SAKs, coupled with the smooth feel of the handles (or the pleasantly grippy feel if we're talking Alox), means that the knife feels better in the hand when you're actually using it as a knife. (I'm sure there are exceptions.)

Another possible factor: deploying a SAK tool is a one-step operation; it's usually a two-step operation with a multitool.

Another possible factor: the blend of tools on most multis is very "work oriented", while SAKS are more balanced between work and social. A SAK is more useful in the kitchen, or at a party, or on a picnic. I don't spend all my time in the shop... I spend some of it in the kitchen and doing social things. With its better balance between work and social, SAKs can better slip into the role of "a part of your life" vs. "a really versatile tool".

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 04:29:59 PM
First, your question makes an assumption that a SAK IS more pleasing aesthetically. While this might be true for you individually, it is not necessarily a given for everyone.

However, I think overall, I agree, so I'll play along. I'm going to go in a strange place for my answer.

I wrote a piece on sailing ships and shipbuilding a few years back, and did a fair amount of research on ship building for it. Since ancient days, ships tended to be of 2 proportions, 'long', and 'round'. Long ships are faster, round ships have better cargo capacity for their crew requirement. That's a simplification, but will get my point across. In terms of proportions, Plier based tools are like Round Ships and SAKs are (until the layers stack too thick) more like Long Ships. Elegance may be considered a simple function of overall dimensions.

Another possible answer is the lines. The standard Vic 91mm models' scales have very simple lines that flow very well. While the scales may have (at least to me) a very slight hint of Art Deco, I think that more accurately, it evolved into the shape its in by testing, and just happens to have a slight Art Deco vibe. Regardless, it moves the eye well.

Just some thoughts.
That is a very nice write-up Lynn  :cheers:
SAW

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 05:08:39 PM
I think the long-term, iterative design process of the SAK may be relevant. It's a very classic, time tested design where there is a reason for everything and all of it has been tested in real life. An MT is more of a fresh piece of design. Perfection is achieved when there no longer is anything that can be removed without detriment to function.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 05:29:27 PM
For me it's the precision, verging on almost jewel like build quality.

That world famous Red cross really is the mark of quality workmanship that has become accessible to all.

The only problem now, is that they're just too nice - one is simply never enough.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 06:15:36 PM
I won't try to argue on aesthetics. I'll just say that I like all SAKs V&W, 58-130mm) and not more than a half a dozen to a dozen Multitools (two Vics and the rest from Leatherman).
I also find SAKs pleasing many senses and sensory systems; vision, auditory, kinesthetic, touch, thermoception (cool metal is second only to warm flesh for me). They are cues to mnemonic recalling of course, as well as symbols of ingenuity, tradition, mechanics, quality, adventure, tidiness, resourcefulness, foresight, luxury (better: the affordable kind of), individuality, precision and so many other things.
Although both SAKs and MTs had their antecedents, the implementations of the two Swiss firms and the one American reached the zenith of form, function and popularity. There's almost a full century between them and one might conclude that the MT is a recent evolution of the SAK and that SAKs had enough time to become classics whereas MTs not yet.
Then, most ugly SAKs aren't in fact SAKs but imitations or impostors from other countries, do they can't harm the SAK image. On the other hand SOG, Gerber and even Leatherman produced some really ugly tools, perhaps because they are still exploring the MT concept that's not yet standardized.
Regarding the big SAKs, their nudity (plethora of shiny steel layers with exhibitionistic and promising diversity of tools) is yet unmatched by any multitool. What they loose in grace they gain in thuggish and braggish charm.
Last but not least: most multitools have no scales! Need I say more?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 06:31:05 PM
kkokkolis... while i might not agree with your last post 100%, it was at least eloquently stated.  :tu:

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 06:35:35 PM
With me every time I pick one up I think about little 7 year old me in my cub scout uniform exploring the woods with my sak at my side. I have so many memories with it and all the adventures I had. I really wish I still had that swiss army knife! (Lost it many years ago) Oh well, not to mention the shiny handles and highly polished tools that give it an elegant look.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 06:37:39 PM
kkokkolis... while i might not agree with your last post 100%, it was at least eloquently stated.  :tu:

Indeed it was, as was your post Lynn.

I'm not feeling very wordy today, but I really appreciate you all taking the time to make a really interesting thread :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 06:40:34 PM
Also leatherman and other manufacturers have a bulky industrial feel. The sleekness and look of a sak in my opinion is pretty perfect.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 09:00:46 PM
Just reading this has made me pull out my Alox Pioneer Rancher and proceed to fondle/admire it (minds out of the gutter now :D)  I wish I had my Compact with me as well.  One major factor for me with SAKs is the sound of opening/closing the implements.  I love that sound.

I am also admiring the PST II, which I must say, is a sleek, sexy beast :drool:
K-Tibbs

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 10:34:53 PM
I think maybe it is because they are RED!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 10:42:48 PM
I think maybe it is because they are RED!

And, do you think it was on ACCIDENT that the scales are made of cellidor, a near homophone of 'Cellar Door', the most beautiful phrase in the English language?  :rofl:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellar_door

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 10:59:52 PM
I'm just no good with words to come up with my own good answer.  To me, the Vics are both functional and aesthetically pleasing to my eye to where I get a good deal of drool factor from them.  That's as close as I can describe my personal feelings on the matter.
SAW

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 11:43:51 PM
I think the elegance is hard to pin down as it's multifaceted. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and there are many attractive elements of the SAK.

Simplicity: Immediate access to the vast majority of tools, and a no-nonsense efficiency. They are no more complicated than they need to be, and there is always an elegancy to simplicity.

Affordability: They are cheap! Compared to so many other things on the market, SAK's deliver more bang for the buck than anything else. In fact for many years I actually missed out on how great they are because they were so affordable they weren't worth saving up for. I was in my thirties before I finally bought my first SAK, and I was hooked pretty much straight away

Amiability: Non, tactical, non threatening, universally accepted as a pocket tool rather than a knife. To echo Lynn, most people have some kind of nice memory they can be attributed to. Either owning one (or a friend owning one) as a child/scout whatever, a father or grandfather fixing something to your wide eyed delight, or merely seeing a picture/photo of one in a book and thinking "wow - I want one of those"

Precision: The walk and talk of a good SAK is the benchmark to aspire to today. Occasionally now I'll pick up a knife that isn't a SAK and open it. Maybe there's a slight grittiness as the tang rides the backspring, or the snick doesn't shout "Hi honey, I'm home" quite the way it should, and I feel a little disappointed. I shouldn't feel that way, as the chances are that knife is perfectly acceptable and going to be a long serving friend - but it's not got that silky precision of a SAK

Compact: On the whole you'll struggle to find more function per cubic inch/millimeter than on a SAK. Take for example the Compact - other knives with that size blade are bigger and heavier than the compact, and are JUST a blade. The efficiency of space to pack something so bijou so full of function is absolutely incredible

Aesthetics: Here is the first time where things are less universal, yet aesthetics are normally the first thing attributed to "elegance". Some people like alox scales, others not so much, some prefer a different size to others. Yes, the "lines" on a SAK are clean and smooth, and there are so many different variations that there's always going to be something someone likes - but I think aesthetics are very much secondary to the function.

Ergonomics: Again this is person specific. Some people love the hand filling swisschamp, whilst others draw their limit at a Farmer. With so many variations it's like walking into a huge shoe shop - there's always be something that'll "fit" you

Ingenuity: Again simplicity plays a big part here. Whether it's the clever Cybertool driver, the magnifying glass, alligator wrench, or simply hiding a pin in the scales - there is an ingenuity and depth of thought which goes beyond anything else. I mean, A PIN, simple, virtually size and weight free, yet so versatile. Setting digital watches that had the little recessed buttons, clearing your washer jets, digging out that splinter, eating whelks and cockles .... so much added function!

In short, a SAKs elegance is cumulative. Just as they are themselves accumulations of different tools and functions, so to over the years have they accrued the refinement, precision, simplicity, amiability, and all the other elements that make them such a joy to own, use and for many people, collect

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 01:18:16 AM
Or could it be that the multi tool is basically a pliers with some tools including a knife blade attached, and a SAK is basically a pocket knife with a few tools attached. Pocket knives are much more instinctively interesting to most people than pliers. And given the very long history of the SAK, most people may well have some nostalgic feeling for them stemming back to the childhood memory of going fishing with grandpa or dad, or that first campout in the scouts. The Leatherman and multi tool thing is a relative recent event. We never had them around when I was a kid, heck we didn't have them around when I was a young man.

But for me, there are memories of my boy scout days, my army days, all when I had a SAK on me. When I traveled abroad in both England and Germany, I had a SAK. The very first picnic I went on with the young lady that was to become my better half, I had and used a SAK. By the time Tim Leatherman came out with his not really new idea, I was in my 40's and set in my ways too much to buy an ugly looking pliers with some tools attached to it.

I've never owned a Leatherman multi tool, and probably never will. But I do have a few SAK's around, and there's one on me all the time. Always will be.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 04:05:59 AM
I would consider the Swisstool Spirit just as elegant as a SAK.

Offline hiljentaa

Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 04:44:52 AM
Or could it be that the multi tool is basically a pliers with some tools including a knife blade attached, and a SAK is basically a pocket knife with a few tools attached.

Good point.

I also think the fact that all the different implements of a SAK are packed into the handle, but are always quite easy to access contributes to the 'elegance'.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
The elegance of a SAK
Reply #20 on: January 27, 2017, 08:54:35 PM
About 20 years ago I was a Victorinox dealer and I personally checked every blade of every knife I got in.  I was thoroughly amazed at the jewel-like precision of each implement.  Every blade on every knife had the exact same smoothness when opened.  Every edge on every blade was perfectly symmetrical. The fit and finish of every knife was second to none.The quality control was astounding.

I carried some other major brand knives, but would always find an occasional uneven edge or a blade that did not open smoothly, but not once in the years I was a Victorinox dealer did I get a knife that had any issues.  To me this speaks volumes about the elegance and quality of their knives.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 10:08:08 PM by VICMAN »

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #21 on: January 27, 2017, 09:10:51 PM
Just reading this has made me pull out my Alox Pioneer Rancher and proceed to fondle/admire it (minds out of the gutter now :D)  I wish I had my Compact with me as well.  One major factor for me with SAKs is the sound of opening/closing the implements.  I love that sound.

I am also admiring the PST II, which I must say, is a sleek, sexy beast :drool:

Cold water needed here!!!  :D
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

us Offline Danjo

Reply #22 on: January 28, 2017, 05:03:15 AM
Great replies all around. To add to it, I would say that Swiss Army knives remind me of Old World craftsmanship in their design. It reminds me of the time when functionality and artistic touches were blended together seamlessly. The Leatherman for all of its valor, does not have this combination. Rather, it is industrial as has been said above. While none of that takes away from its usefulness and functionality, it lacks the elegance and artistic qualities that Swiss Army knives have.
IMG_20170127_203108.jpg
* IMG_20170127_203108.jpg (Filesize: 124.98 KB)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 05:33:25 AM by Danjo »
"There always seems to be a way to fix things." - MacGyver

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: January 28, 2017, 06:30:40 PM
Well said Danjo!

se Offline jonyb

Reply #24 on: January 28, 2017, 08:33:09 PM
We were born with 2 hands and 10 fingers, our ultimate tools.
I belive knifemakers had this in mind when they designed the 6:th finger of our right hand:

No more, no less.

us Offline Danjo

Reply #25 on: January 28, 2017, 09:10:08 PM
I belive knifemakers had this in mind when they designed the 6:th finger of our right hand:

(Image removed from quote.)
Nice.
No more, no less.

"There always seems to be a way to fix things." - MacGyver

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 28, 2017, 09:16:37 PM
I belive knifemakers had this in mind when they designed the 6:th finger of our right hand

Cool observation!

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 28, 2017, 10:24:20 PM
What we find elegant is personal opinion.

Really elegant I find only oval SAKs without backtools.
These simple round lines make it timelessly beautiful.
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #28 on: January 29, 2017, 02:58:12 PM
IMO what makes a SAK elegant is the mechanics of the knife. The packaging of the tools inside knife lends to a well designed and refined look. Each tool perfectly settled into its spot like it was carved out. It's kinda like our fingers when placing them together. They aren't perfectly straight but rather each curve is met with its counterpart on the next finger.
When comparing to tools like say a leatherman supertool 300. All the tools are laid out straight and kinda bland. There's no interaction between the tools (at least in my opinion).
Also the general shape and feel are appealing. No sharp edges!
And finally and most important IMO are the actually working mechanisms of the knife.  It's simple, yet you can imagine just how it works by handling the knife. Kinda like watching the internals of a watch.
I have a soft spot for alox SAKs. They just remind me of days past. Like an antique car. Simple yet solid and functional without all the frills and "tacticool" embellishments.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #29 on: January 29, 2017, 04:18:40 PM
For me, the SAKs are just the perfect match of function and form. Well made, good quality control, pleasing to hold and use. Of course they have over a hundred years to perfect them :-)

Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20