Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic 58mm knives to be allowed on Airlines

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Vic 58mm knives to be allowed on Airlines
on: March 06, 2013, 02:44:57 AM
One of many reports of new TSE rules to go into effect in late April.  Even hockey players will get relief from TSA and government insanity.

The TSA is still crazy though, as another report confirms "pitchforks will still be banned".

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Re: Vic 58mm knives to be allowed on Airlines
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 03:00:00 AM
I knew my faith and cult like following of the little 58mm's would someday prove worth while! :D

This has got to help Victorinox sales, I hope. The recruits and bantams and small tinkers should be legal as well.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Donald

Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 03:16:36 AM
Such knives as the 74mm Executive and 65mm Esquire should also be allowed as the blade length and width are under the maximum. (link is to TSA.)
What I don't get is the second page of the graphic, in the PDF linked on that page. It clearly shows something like a Vic tinker small (84mm) or tinker (91mm) being acceptable, but if as stated the measurement is "from tip to where it meets the handle or hilt" 84mm knives would be slightly over and 91mm knives even more so. It shows a Philips driver as a backtool. The 85mm Wengers would also be too big unless the definition is tweaked. I think there was some confusion in definition, and what would qualify. A 91mm knife, IF you do not include the notch would barely squeak by the limit if the cutting edge is measured from tip straight down the blade. Since the Classic type knife is the most likely to be carried on a keychain, it would be also the most likely to slow down the line. If they are trying to allow a standard 84mm, 85mm (Wenger), or 91mm SAK as commonly carried, then they are going to need to revamp the measurement and/or definition.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 03:21:57 AM by Donald »

us Offline Donald

Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 03:32:50 AM
I knew my faith and cult like following of the little 58mm's would someday prove worth while! :D

This has got to help Victorinox sales, I hope. The recruits and bantams and small tinkers should be legal as well.

If you read what they say, as I note above, an 84mm or 85mm is going to be slightly too big unless they tweak the definition a bit. Although if they tweak it substantially to allow the common 91mm Vics that would be generally speaking all the knife I would need when traveling. Even a Classic would do. I bet Executive and Ambassador sales would go up! ;) If they tweaked it just a bit to allow 84mm knives we might see scissors on 84mm knives again!  :pok:
  :D
Any of the above scenarios it might not bode well for the 93mm Alox line.

I do note that an 84mm Vic is so close to meeting the measurement as is, that one could created a dedicated knife for travel by just sharpening off about 4mm of tip.

We shall see.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 04:43:09 AM

I couldn't resist posting again.  :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 05:44:12 AM
What the heck does a "molded grip" have to do with the danger a knife represents? More regulations put out by clueless bureaucrats. Also saw on the news where the flight attendants union is totally opposed to allowing any 'weapon' on the plane. So its not over yet.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 07:14:39 AM
  From what I have gathered, a molded grip is considering a combat & assault knife. Who knew?  :facepalm:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Offline sgreiss44

Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 08:09:51 AM
Even if the blade rule is 'adjusted' or we shorten the length of the blade ourselves (which should be interesting to explain to the TSA), there still is the issue of the reamer on the back... 

I guess the hook is still safe...

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 02:55:30 PM
What even more frustrating to me is that for the "good" knife example some ugly clone of a 91 mm SAK is shown. And not even the smaller 84 mm SAKs fit their blade length and max width rules. Good that at least 58 mm ones fit, could be worse (was and currently is worse). At least there would be no more boatloads of confiscated (stolen from their owners) 58 mm on eBay..

:twak:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 03:39:48 PM
It would make worlds more sense just to say slipjoints under 4 inches allowed. i.e. a pocket knife... in your pocket.

And as for 'weapons' give me a break.  My fist is a weapon if I choose, and also pens, pencils etc.  Ban all those too.  Im also 6'4" 290, so just my size could be intimidating if I chose.  Let the stewardess's carry machetes then if it makes them feel safer.

How many planes have been hijacked with SAKs?

I guess my alox mods could pass if the main blade wasnt in there, just eblade, or short spearpoint.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 03:41:58 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 03:58:01 PM
They could easily do it JUST like they deal with alcohol brought on board:  Check it in with the attendants.  If it's needed, request it.  Simple.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 04:09:34 PM
This should smurf off some airport authorities. Many of them have put a system into place to sell confiscated knives, and rely on it as a viable source of income.
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

no Offline JRB65

• Dutchman by birth, living in Norway by choice...
Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 08:08:30 PM
Fixed blade, molded handle not allowed...?
Does that mean that I'll still have to remove my SwissCard from my wallet, while the Classic can be carried with the keys in my pocket?

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 08:37:09 PM
Does that mean that I'll still have to remove my SwissCard from my wallet, while the Classic can be carried with the keys in my pocket?

I've always wondered about the SwissCard... technically it would be illegal to carry in the UK too.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 09:17:21 PM
I've always wondered about the SwissCard... technically it would be illegal to carry in the UK too.

Wasn't there a retired UK police officer, or MP (years ago) that was ticketed because they found a SwissCard blade in his pocket?

EDIT: It was a retired Brigadier who was arrested by the Transport Police for carrying a SwissCard in his luggage when about to board the Eurostar, they later apologized to him for the arresting officer's overzealousness.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 09:29:20 PM by turnsouth »
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 09:26:55 PM

How about a simpler way to classify whats actually a threat.

Step 1. Look at knife
Step 2. Ask yourself if said knife would give the wielder any tactical advantage in a mugging or armed encounter.
Step 3. You have your answer and common sense has been put into action.

When someone holds up a liquor store with a swiss card, I'll change my how to. :D

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 10:03:55 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Common sense is so uncommon these days that it should be classified as a superpower.

LOOK... Up in the sky...   it's   COMMON SENSE MAN.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 11:41:17 PM
This is good news. A Minichamp is all I need on a transatlantic or transpacific flight. When is it going to enact?

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 11:48:44 PM
Common sense? What's that? I stopped in a used sporting goods store in Boulder this afternoon. Lots of used camping equipment. Absolutely no knives; the owner refuses to sell a 'weapon'. There were baseball bats, hockey sticks and ski poles, all of which could do more damage than a SAK.

us Offline stax

Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 07:03:20 AM
This is good news. A Minichamp is all I need on a transatlantic or transpacific flight. When is it going to enact?

Late April.  25th or 26th, I think.

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 08:11:25 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/07/opinion/hawk-tsa-knives/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Quotes:

"In other words, knives probably won't endanger pilots, skyscrapers or expensive airplanes, but passengers and flight attendants? You're on your own."

"And that is why I am so utterly slack-jawed at the decision to allow the same weapons that were used to kill so many people."

"Allowing such weapons just doesn't make sense."

From her:

"Editor's note: Tiffany Hawk, a former flight attendant with United Airlines and Virgin America, is the author of "Love Me Anyway," a forthcoming novel about two young flight attendants coming of age at 35,000 feet."

Now think about this in the context of a 58 mm SAK that is the only type of SAK allowed under the rule, if passed...

:facepalm:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 10:44:48 PM
Love her anyway.

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 11:15:54 PM
Never thought of Classics as weapons ::)

:rofl:

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 11:17:32 PM
Maybe weapons for ants?  :D Mice? Nah, they are too large and powerful.

us Offline cannonball

Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 02:49:07 PM
I presume "molded" grips means finger grooves and not the process of manufacturing the handle?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $0.00
PayPal Fees: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Below Goal: $300.00
Site Currency: USD
 0%