Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Appreciation for the Explorer 64567

No Life Club Posts: 2,428
Re: Appreciation for the Explorer
« Reply #1020 on: March 07, 2021, 07:43:31 AM »
 :iagree: great Ti scales! The Explorer is one of my faves too! :like: :like:
No Life Club Posts: 1,663
« Reply #1021 on: March 07, 2021, 01:25:24 PM »
 :like: :cheers:

All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..
No Life Club Posts: 3,913
« Reply #1022 on: March 07, 2021, 01:49:44 PM »

The Explorer Plus has been my long-time favorite SAK, and continues to garner most of my pocket time.

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,170 Bon Journee!!
« Reply #1023 on: March 07, 2021, 02:32:10 PM »
Not your average Explorer!  Very nice!
Just a pair of Explorers... my favorite model probably.

(Image removed from quote.)

Barry
No Life Club Posts: 4,176 join The American Legion Family - since 1919
« Reply #1024 on: March 07, 2021, 04:01:49 PM »
The Explorer Plus has been my long-time favorite SAK, and continues to garner most of my pocket time.

nice !  :tu:

join KNIFE RIGHTS
« Reply #1025 on: March 07, 2021, 04:13:30 PM »
 :iagree: :tu:

Hero Member Posts: 682 Guillaume
« Reply #1026 on: March 07, 2021, 04:15:53 PM »

Swiss Spirit 2020, a beauty.  :cheers: :tu:

My first name : Guillaume + my name Bur***** = guibur

"Soyez grands par les faits, et simples en paroles."

My YouTube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbyvNcXV7KGEfQVgnCcY4Yg
Sr. Member Posts: 480
« Reply #1027 on: March 07, 2021, 08:49:44 PM »

The Magnifying Glass was first introduced in 1973 and featured a glass lens with a Grey plastic housing. In 2007 the Magnifier was changed to a new model with a transparent plastic housing and a plastic lens. The 2007 magnifier has a slightly lower level of magnification, and a slightly wider area of view due to the slimmer housing and lower magnification.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Magnifying+Glass

I’m pretty sure I have/had a Swiss champ from the 90s with the clear plastic  magnifier? I think it changed well before 2007?
No Life Club Posts: 2,370
« Reply #1028 on: March 07, 2021, 11:09:21 PM »
I’m pretty sure I have/had a Swiss champ from the 90s with the clear plastic  magnifier? I think it changed well before 2007?

Yeah, I think 2004 is closer to the change.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going
Hero Member Posts: 834
« Reply #1029 on: March 08, 2021, 12:43:34 AM »

I have a Vic Champion and a Vic Explorer from solid scale era—maybe 92 or earlier? They both share the same magnifier in grey frames I believe.
Hero Member Posts: 834
« Reply #1030 on: March 08, 2021, 12:45:09 AM »

It’s a fine knife. The scales give it that little something extra.
No Life Club Posts: 3,913
« Reply #1031 on: March 08, 2021, 02:18:04 AM »
The scales give it that little something extra.

Yeah, its nice to have something a little different from my other 50 (?) SAKs.  Santa brought me this one.

Hero Member Posts: 872 Improvisational Engineer
« Reply #1032 on: March 08, 2021, 02:37:15 AM »

My Explorer found its way into my pocket today.

-Todd

Every moment is an adventure. Are you equipped?
« Reply #1033 on: March 08, 2021, 02:59:44 PM »
Some great Explorer love going on :tu:

Barry
« Reply #1034 on: March 08, 2021, 03:12:08 PM »
 :iagree: :drink:

« Reply #1035 on: March 08, 2021, 10:56:49 PM »

join KNIFE RIGHTS
No Life Club Posts: 3,107
« Reply #1036 on: March 10, 2021, 12:19:26 AM »
Great explorers everyone.

Here are two that I own,the BSA has the older mag lens.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**
« Reply #1037 on: March 10, 2021, 02:44:55 AM »
Looks great sir!  I'm down to just an older, early 80's gray frame that I'm fixing up. 

Barry
« Reply #1038 on: March 10, 2021, 02:24:59 PM »
 :like: :cheers:

Sr. Member Posts: 332
« Reply #1039 on: July 14, 2021, 05:23:54 AM »
I just found this thread and am happy to join the Explorer club!  :)

I have three, all with the gray-rim magnifier. Because of its stronger magnification, that's the one I prefer. As for the small field of view, try this trick: Hold the lens up to your eye like a jeweler's loupe, then bring the item you want to examine up to it.

One of my Explorers is pre-1991 (no hook), the other two have hooks.

My first (the pre-'91 with red scales) I got at an estate sale for $8, but it was in bad shape, most tools were really stiff. I managed to bring it back to life, detailed here: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,87409.0.html

The second one (post-'91 with red scales) I got on eBay and it's in good shape. I'm going to mod it, adding pliers and black Plus scales. Still trying to decide if I want to add a wood saw also.

The third (post-'91 with black scales) was another eBay find, but with messed up scissors. I managed to fix those - https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,87693.0.html (Yes, the blades on the it were well-used by the previous owner, like 1-2mm of width gone.)

I've been carrying the pre-'91 since I repaired it, though have temporarily switched to the black one to test it out now that the scissors work.

For me, the Explorer is a great combination of tools and size. Easy for me to pocket-carry on a suspension clip. I also carry a Mini Champ so have a lot of options between the two of them. If I'm anticipating needing even more, I switch up to the Swiss Champ.

Current SAKs:
Champion c, Bijou (2), Classic SD (5), Cavalier, Mini Champ (2nd gen.) Plus (mod), Swiss Champ (2), Explorer (2), Deluxe Tinker, Climber, Pioneer Alox, Bantam, Delemont Evolution S557, Wenger Serrated Commander, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Executive, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Wenger Traveler
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,685
« Reply #1040 on: July 15, 2021, 09:01:56 PM »
Great to see your Explorers Steve  :tu:  #2 with pliers will be a great mod  :whistle:

Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.
« Reply #1041 on: July 15, 2021, 11:00:21 PM »
Great to see your Explorers Steve  :tu:  #2 with pliers will be a great mod  :whistle:
Thanks, Max.

Yes, I know, it's been a while since we talked about this mod. I had to find parts.  :(

You've already found the link, but for anyone else interested, I'm documenting the Explorer + pliers build here: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,87744.0.html

Current SAKs:
Champion c, Bijou (2), Classic SD (5), Cavalier, Mini Champ (2nd gen.) Plus (mod), Swiss Champ (2), Explorer (2), Deluxe Tinker, Climber, Pioneer Alox, Bantam, Delemont Evolution S557, Wenger Serrated Commander, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Executive, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Wenger Traveler
Sr. Member Posts: 252
« Reply #1042 on: July 16, 2021, 12:15:25 AM »
I just found this thread and am happy to join the Explorer club!  :)

I have three, all with the gray-rim magnifier. Because of its stronger magnification, that's the one I prefer. As for the small field of view, try this trick: Hold the lens up to your eye like a jeweler's loupe, then bring the item you want to examine up to it.

One of my Explorers is pre-1991 (no hook), the other two have hooks.

My first (the pre-'91 with red scales) I got at an estate sale for $8, but it was in bad shape, most tools were really stiff. I managed to bring it back to life, detailed here: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,87409.0.html

The second one (post-'91 with red scales) I got on eBay and it's in good shape. I'm going to mod it, adding pliers and black Plus scales. Still trying to decide if I want to add a wood saw also.

The third (post-'91 with black scales) was another eBay find, but with messed up scissors. I managed to fix those - https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,87693.0.html (Yes, the blades on the it were well-used by the previous owner, like 1-2mm of width gone.)

I've been carrying the pre-'91 since I repaired it, though have temporarily switched to the black one to test it out now that the scissors work.

For me, the Explorer is a great combination of tools and size. Easy for me to pocket-carry on a suspension clip. I also carry a Mini Champ so have a lot of options between the two of them. If I'm anticipating needing even more, I switch up to the Swiss Champ.

You're awesome.  I finally bought an Explorer so I could be cool like all of you, and now you're going to make me want to rip it apart and add pliers.   :facepalm:
« Reply #1043 on: July 16, 2021, 12:47:01 AM »
You're awesome.  I finally bought an Explorer so I could be cool like all of you, and now you're going to make me want to rip it apart and add pliers.   :facepalm:
thanks for the mag tip  :tu:

join KNIFE RIGHTS
« Reply #1044 on: July 16, 2021, 01:10:04 AM »
Welcome to the modder's club!

I never thought about building my own until I got on this forum. See what it does to you?   ;)

Then I had to buy several Explorers so I wasn't ripping apart my only one.

Then I was buying other SAKs that looked interesting.

Then I noticed some Wengers that looked interesting.

"Hi, my name is Steve and I have an addiction."
 :facepalm:

Current SAKs:
« Reply #1045 on: July 16, 2021, 01:11:38 AM »
thanks for the mag tip  :tu:
You're welcome!

Help spread the word about it.  :tu:

Current SAKs:
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,526 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
« Reply #1046 on: July 16, 2021, 12:48:25 PM »
Welcome to the modder's club!

I never thought about building my own until I got on this forum. See what it does to you?   ;)

Then I had to buy several Explorers so I wasn't ripping apart my only one.

Then I was buying other SAKs that looked interesting.

Then I noticed some Wengers that looked interesting.

"Hi, my name is Steve and I have an addiction."
 :facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

« Reply #1047 on: July 16, 2021, 01:19:37 PM »
 :tu: :rofl: :tu:

Barry
Newbie Posts: 41
« Reply #1048 on: July 17, 2021, 12:53:21 PM »
I appreciate my Explorer plus.
« Reply #1049 on: July 18, 2021, 01:43:22 AM »
I'm documenting the Explorer + pliers build here: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,87744.0.html
My Explorer + pliers build is done!

You can see my new SAK at the link above.

Current SAKs:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
August Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: $10.66
PayPal Fees: $0.63
Net Balance: $10.03
Below Goal: $289.97
Site Currency: USD
 3%