Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Modding a Victorinox without a drill?

us Offline NetsNJ

Modding a Victorinox without a drill?
on: October 12, 2016, 04:27:43 AM
Hi Guys,

So I have this Victorinox s54 that is a beauty.  The tools are in perfect condition minus a missing ruler/compass (which was a dumb component to begin with).  I want to mod this knife by removing the 3 (3!!!!) spring layers supporting this missing tool and slimming it down to 9 layers. 

It should be one of the simpler mods since I can reuse the pins (just shortening them).   Unfortunately though, I don't have access to a drill.  Is there any way to take the bushings off without drilling out the pin?  Probably not but I figured I'd ask. 

Thanks!!

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Re: Modding a Victorinox without a drill?
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 04:51:06 AM
If you had some spare bushings, yes. You could use flush cutting side cutters to cut the end of the pin but 95% of the time this destroys the bushing.
I break down donor knives this way.

Another option if you have a dremel is to use a small ball end burr and grind out the pin from inside the bushing. It takes a steady hand but it can be done.

But I'm guessing that if you don't have a drill you probably don't have a dremel either.

You could always pick up a 2nd hand cordless for about $20.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 05:55:51 AM
Thanks for reply.   :salute:

I expected I would need to pick up a drill, but was hoping for some ancient chinese sak modding secret from the collective wisdom of mto.   :think:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 10:24:22 AM
Cheap hand drill is probably the way to go unfortunately. Maybe borrow a drill from a neighbor, and the smallest drill bit you can find above 1/64"? Offer to bake them cookies in return or something.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 10:25:55 AM by sLaughterMed »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 10:56:15 PM
I often just grind the bushings off flat on one side down to level with the liner. However, I have a few spare bushings for the times when I need them, somewhere........ ???
Or you could just file them off.

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 06:38:56 PM
If someone could find out who supplies Victorinox's bushings, and hang around by the back door of their factory, it could make things a lot easier for all of us :)  Easy to cut, grind or file the pins out if we could get replacement bushings.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 02:33:53 AM
If someone could find out who supplies Victorinox's bushings, and hang around by the back door of their factory, it could make things a lot easier for all of us :)  Easy to cut, grind or file the pins out if we could get replacement bushings.
I suspect they are made in house...
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%