Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rain suit recommendations?

Nhoj · 27 · 6147

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Rain suit recommendations?
on: March 01, 2013, 09:49:25 PM
My old rain suit... is well... old. I am looking at rain suits but most of the ones that seem to be good are too expensive. I will use it for backpacking so it needs to be fairly compact folded. Since I will be doing a lot of physical activity I would prefer it to be breathable. This is not too big of a concern though because I am the kind of person who never really sweats too much. I also need durable fabric that is lightweight but can withstand a good amount of bushwhacking. Price? Under $50 would be good with $100 max but not likely. I appreciate any suggestions!

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Re: Rain suit recommendations?
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 10:17:18 PM
"Waterproof and breatheable" is an oxymoron...  I've owned several high end Gore-Tex jackets over the years, (mostly North Face and Marmot) and even though it's supposedly the "best", I still get condensation in them when I'm exerting myself.  I do a fair amount of hiking myself, and I have many years of cycling experience, and I've learned that if you're going to be in the rain, especially for longer periods of time, you're not going to be able to avoid getting wet.  You just have to learn how to minimize it enough to make it bearable.

That said, I'm looking at the Snugpack "Patrol" poncho.  Seems like a nice bit of kit; made of nylon with taped seams instead of vinyl, fits over a backpack, has a a fitted hood and sleeves, weighs less than a pound, packs down fairly small, and there's also an optional light insulation liner available for it.  I've read some good reviews on it as well.  Knifecenter has them for a hair over $50.

In general though, my approach when dealing with rain when I'm cycling is to use clothing that will breath well enough to keep me feeling dry-ish without feeling too cold or too hot.  That's not always an easy proposition though, I know...  My strategy is to use a water resistant shell on my body with a thin wicking and insulating layer underneath.  I'm fond of thinner, long sleeve poly-fleece or Merino wool t-shirts or turtlenecks, and polypro tights.  For me, one thing I can't deal with very well is wet feet, so I have a nice pair of vapor-barrier socks I wear over thin wool or polypro liner socks when hiking or cycling in the rain that is the best thing I've found so far for keeping my feet dry.  (I do always wear waterproof boots though...) 

For hiking, Mountain Hardwear makes some awesome (but expensive) hiking pants made of a very durable hydrophobic material that also have an excellent DWR coating on them.  My wife has a few pairs of them and she swears by them for any kind of outdoor activity, especially if there's a chance moisture is involved.  They're not waterproof, but they're so water repellant, shed water and wick very well, and they dry very quickly once they're out of the moisture.  In general, the current state of the art in outdoor clothing layering, from what I've seen, seems to be moving away from the idea of "waterproof and breatheable" because there really is no such thing.  Instead, the newest stuff coming out are the "softshell" systems, that work much like what I described above.  I'd say that's probably a better way to go, as I've found that when cycling in the rain, even though my legs still get wet with polypro tights, I'm warmer and feel less wet than if I was wearing true waterproof pants. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:20:12 PM by Heinz Doofenshmirtz »
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 10:33:50 PM
  Was looking for a rain jacket last Christmas season, all could find were over-priced Carharrt jackets.

If could of found one large man's oil-cloth Drover in 3XL would have bought that myself, even if it was a knock-off cheaper USA version. An Aussie Drover in that size is even more astronomical in price. Cannot touch one under $300 in my size.   :cry:   Rather have one at a third of that price.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 10:35:44 PM
  Was looking for a rain jacket last Christmas season, all could find were over-priced Carharrt jackets.

If could of found one large man's oil-cloth Drover in 3XL would have bought that myself, even if it was a knock-off cheaper USA version. An Aussie Drover in that size is even more astronomical in price. Cannot touch one under $300 in my size.   :cry:   Rather have one at a third of that price.
Xelkos, check out that Snugpak/Proforce Patrol poncho... they seem very well made and designed, and I'm seriously considering one as my next piece of kit for outdoors and survival-prep use.  For a bit over $50, I think it's going to be hard to beat. 
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 11:08:36 PM
  Noted & Bookmarked. Thank you.  :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 11:36:52 PM
I have a orange poncho, folds nice and flat, yet in case of a emergency it opens up flat and you can tie the hood off and make a quick tent, on the other hand i have two 50gal trash bags folded nice and neat and put in a ziplock, (not the best but works) at the bottom make a slit(head), and on the sides at the bottom make another slit on each side(arms), and it makes a quick (hood-less) poncho, completely waterproof, and cheep! and yet when your done with it ditch it.. it wouldnt be the first time ive used them, and i must say they work, and better then nothing! one tip though, a boonie hat also comes in handy! :whistle: JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 11:41:43 PM
I have a orange poncho, folds nice and flat, yet in case of a emergency it opens up flat and you can tie the hood off and make a quick tent, on the other hand i have two 50gal trash bags folded nice and neat and put in a ziplock, (not the best but works) at the bottom make a slit(head), and on the sides at the bottom make another slit on each side(arms), and it makes a quick (hood-less) poncho, completely waterproof, and cheep! and yet when your done with it ditch it.. it wouldnt be the first time ive used them, and i must say they work, and better then nothing! one tip though, a boonie hat also comes in handy! :whistle: JR
I carry three contractors bags in my survival pack; two to make a sleeping bag with (with the aid of duct tape), and one to use as a poncho or tarp.  Strictly speaking, I know I don't need a dedicated poncho because I carry the contractor bags, but they're so handy that I can't see myself not carrying them.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 11:57:42 PM
 :think:

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 12:25:02 AM
That's quite a "suit"

nl Offline Wootz

Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 08:33:24 AM
Way out of my price range, but Ventile (cotton!) or Etaproof (les expensive) is what I prefer over Goretex:

http://www.ventile.co.uk/
"Ventile®, originally designed in the UK, is densely woven from 100% cotton using the world’s finest long staple fibre.
Ventile® is not coated or laminated yet the combination of the dense weave and the swelling properties of the fibres when wet provide excellent weatherproofing.
It is an entirely natural product that offers a unique level of comfort, look and feel as well as being windproof, highly breathable, very durable and quiet.
Ventile® fabrics are used in some of the worlds finest outerwear performance garments and have military, medical and workwear applications."

Etaproof (made in Switzerland):
http://www.stotzfabrics.ch/outdoorstoffe/outdoorstoffe_en.html
"EtaProof is a development of British traditional performance cotton, extra long staple fibre yarns are gently spun and twisted, then woven into an extremely dense plain weave cloth. The result is a dense all weather fabric which has a natural touch and comfort with rain and wind protection and natural breathability that is recognised world wide to be the best of its kind."

For sweaters and the like, natural (Marino) wool is hard to beat as well. :tu:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 08:47:07 AM by Wootz »

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 12:35:03 PM
Thanks for these links!! I'll make sure to check them out. I hate synthetic fabrics, they make me all itchy and sweaty and  :rant: . Out of my range too but I see clothes as a good investement.
In general though, my approach when dealing with rain when I'm cycling is to use clothing that will breath well enough to keep me feeling dry-ish without feeling too cold or too hot.  That's not always an easy proposition though, I know...  My strategy is to use a water resistant shell on my body with a thin wicking and insulating layer underneath.  I'm fond of thinner, long sleeve poly-fleece or Merino wool t-shirts or turtlenecks ...

I do the same. Last year I got me a Fjall Raven Lite Reporter jacket for 160€ on sale (ouch) because it's thin, ultra compact and light weight when folded and lots of handy pockets. No cowl though.. Anyways, they sell some kind of wax that you apply for extra insulation. Since the fabric is a common rip-stop cotton-polyester mix (tighly woven, impregnated and blah blah blah they say) I was thinking you could combine these two with satisfying results. Not sure if that's flammable though. I tried it on a loose thread and it just vanished.  :think: Wool rules however!
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

nl Offline Wootz

Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 02:23:26 PM
Fjallraven is good stuff  :tu: In fact I wear a Fallraven coat. G1000 fabric is what you want, durable like jeans, but quick drying polycotton, waxed to your needs.
Unwaxed = more breathable, fully waxed = waterproof (doh!). I just wax the shoulder parts.

More info:
http://www.fjallraven.com/outdoor-life/material-guides/g-1000/g-1000/five-types/
http://www.fjallraven.com/outdoor-life/material-guides/g-1000/g-1000/
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 02:32:14 PM by Wootz »

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 09:20:01 PM
I'll wave the Aussie flag and throw Driza-Bone gear into the ring.

http://www.drizabone.com.au/oilskin/

(even if they were invented in New Zealand :rant:)

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 09:51:30 AM
Well, those Driza-Bone look really good! Reasonably priced too! Oh great, now you got me thinking.  :tu:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 10:05:58 AM
  I want a Driza-Bone too. Entered their monthly contest to get a chance to win a $350 voucher as for one my size is not cheap. Wished I had an semi-wealthy Australian uncle, or cousin.

Did get me an Akubra. Their sweatbands protect the hat, not soak up the sweat. Makes me think Australians don't sweat.  :D Love this hat though, and it has the most unusual characteristics. In the shade or gloomy days it is more green. In the blazing sun it is more fawn colored. Must be the finish of the felt. Got mine through David Morgan out of Bothell, WA.
DSC00514.JPG
* DSC00514.JPG (Filesize: 92.58 KB)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 10:15:59 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 10:30:35 AM
  I want a Driza-Bone too. Entered their monthly contest to get a chance to win a $350 voucher as for one my size is not cheap. Wished I had an semi-wealthy Australian uncle, or cousin.

Did get me an Akubra. Their sweatbands protect the hat, not soak up the sweat. Makes me think Australians don't sweat. 

We do, but only when it is properly hot,  45oC plus.  Otherwise it's just a waste of time.

My Akubra has a bit of mileage on it... used to belong to an old fella out west. I got it last shooting trip, he had moved off the land and into "town" in his old age and only wore his fancy hat now. No use for the working hat. So after hosing out 40 years of outback cooties I scored a hat.

nl Offline Wootz

Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 10:31:34 AM
When I was backpacking in Asia and Australia, I had my old Akubra with me. Wrong choice that was. Found me in Melbourne a different brand that I can recommend. Made in Australia, much better ventilation, mesh topping, only AUS$50 at the time: Jacaru Summer Breeze  http://www.jacaru.com/
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 10:33:56 AM by Wootz »

nl Offline Wootz

Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 10:36:57 AM

Did get me an Akubra. Their sweatbands protect the hat, not soak up the sweat. Makes me think Australians don't sweat.  :D Love this hat though, and it has the most unusual characteristics. In the shade or gloomy days it is more green. In the blazing sun it is more fawn colored. Must be the finish of the felt. Got mine through David Morgan out of Bothell, WA.

Felt? I thought it was Wabbit Hair  :think:

Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 10:58:42 AM

Felt? I thought it was Wabbit Hair  :think:

Wabbit felt  :twak:

When I was backpacking in Asia and Australia, I had my old Akubra with me. Wrong choice that was. Found me in Melbourne a different brand that I can recommend. Made in Australia, much better ventilation, mesh topping, only AUS$50 at the time: Jacaru Summer Breeze  http://www.jacaru.com/

Yeah, if the sun don't get ya the hats will.  :rofl:  Did get a roo chin strap. much needed for this area. Wind tunnel in the valley. Wished had a roo weave lanyard for a SAK, that would look spiffy!

I got a BC Hats 'Cool As a Breeze' last summer. Has a canvas brim, mesh crown, and a canvas top, nylon or cotton chin strap.
  It was God awful hot here, even the hornets weren't under the tin roofing, they was building nests low under the porch. Wicked summer last year, very weird to have one so hot here. An Aussie friend said they had a harsher winter than normal too.

So am prepared in hats this year. Wore my Akubra that last two winters. Altered some ear warmers that I could keep my ears warm, and still wear my sexy Akubra. Chicks dig the hat.   ;)
¬ Outback in Idaho

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 09:00:33 AM
Love my Driza-Bone riding coat, top quality bit of kit.  I have to admit that I've not worn it in a while as I've not been riding for a couple of years. :-[ 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 09:42:54 AM
  Can tell ya that heads turn when a fella walks around in a riding coat, more specially with the caped back and leg straps. Was one fella that rode his motorbike with that on and pulled out a well beaten up leather hat from the fairing area. Oh yeah, the girls sure was checking him out.

Some day... some day...  will be me strutting around in one of them. :D  Did see a couple of lesser named USA brands of them oil cloths from the mid-west, about half the price too. Wished was a place to go try some on in the 3XL to 4XL size, or even up to the 6XL - just to see how the sizes vary from the online side compared to the real deal.
  Am a big man so the pizza & beer muscles stick out more than the chest does.  :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Swearengen

• Betcha I could go 24hrs without betting...aww crap
Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 02:27:49 PM
Cabela's Frogg Toggs Action Suit $34.99US at Cabela's.com is what my brother has and he says it's damn good, and he doesn't sweat much in it (getting 4-star reviewson Cabela's website).  Keep in mind he's not hiking or working in it, mostly woodcutting and dogwalking.  I'd say it's decent in a pinch but I work/hike/hunt so it's not for me.

I have 2 of the Duluth No-Rainer ($99.99US at DuluthTrading.com).  I love it, and $100 was cheap for what it provides.  Working in it constantly has not damaged it in any way.  It's like an updated version of a CWCS Goretex Parka (pit-zips, breathable, hood, etc.) and is durable as anything I've seen.  I'd suggest a rainhat to augment it, because the hood insulates me too much when it's above 45F and also because peripheral vision sucks when you're hooded.

"Rainwear" is a misnomer...with most rainwear it is pretty much deciding whether you're gonna get wet by rain from the outside or wet by your own sweat from the inside.

DO NOT waste your money on anything without pitzips and a 2-way zipper. These allow you to keep the rain off, but you can vent your bodyheat at the same time.   If you work in the stuff, look for reinforced seams, etc.   Good luck...took me a bit to find one I liked.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 02:39:54 PM by Swearengen »
Pirates, historically speaking, were some of the finest and most dedicated Multitool guys ever.  They commonly cut their limbs off just to take advantage of Multitool capabilities: e.g. Captain Hook, Long John Silver, Pegleg Pete, the list goes on and on...

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 01:36:18 AM
DO NOT waste your money on anything without pitzips and a 2-way zipper. These allow you to keep the rain off, but you can vent your bodyheat at the same time.   If you work in the stuff, look for reinforced seams, etc.   Good luck...took me a bit to find one I liked.
Word up!  Pit-zips are a total necessity for any kind of active use for a jacket or coat for me...  I simply won't buy a jacket/parka/etc. without them any more.  The only disadvantage is that they really only come on the higher end jackets, so you'll have to pay more for a jacket with them.

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 04:08:33 AM
I love my Frogg Toggs suit

Sent from the Millennium Falcon via starblaster
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline Swearengen

• Betcha I could go 24hrs without betting...aww crap
Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 10:54:03 PM
Word up!  Pit-zips are a total necessity for any kind of active use for a jacket or coat for me...  I simply won't buy a jacket/parka/etc. without them any more.  The only disadvantage is that they really only come on the higher end jackets, so you'll have to pay more for a jacket with them.

Nein doch, Heinz.  $99.00 Duluth No-Rainer is cheap for what it's got. Get 2 and they're even cheaper!!!
Pirates, historically speaking, were some of the finest and most dedicated Multitool guys ever.  They commonly cut their limbs off just to take advantage of Multitool capabilities: e.g. Captain Hook, Long John Silver, Pegleg Pete, the list goes on and on...

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 12:39:28 AM

Nein doch, Heinz.  $99.00 Duluth No-Rainer is cheap for what it's got. Get 2 and they're even cheaper!!!
Thanks for the rec!  I'll check them out. 

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 09:08:59 AM
I just picked up a set of Wetskins from Costco, $60 include both jacket and pants, with pit zipper and polyurethane coated fabric. They seems to sell something similar every year.

No idea how good is it though, I wanted to stand in the shower with it on to test but never got around to it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%