Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

gerber radius quality

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
gerber radius quality
on: April 05, 2008, 02:24:39 AM
I just bought a gerber radius two days ago and was dissapointed with the knife. It had several nicks in the blade already. I used the plier for the first time today to cut a zip tie and the plier head broke right off the handle. I have broken tools but never like this. I use my leatherman and cheap tools to do this all the time. it is much softer than cutting metal. the ruber/plastic handle made in china is very poor. no pics because I left work during lunch and returned the knife and bought a husky multitool.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: gerber radius quality
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 03:00:07 AM
Ouch! Sorry to hear about your bad experience Scrappy. I do agree that the Gerber Radius is a real hunk o' junk. What the heck were they thinking with those all-plastic handles? Tools like the Radius just give Gerber a bad name. :(

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 03:44:23 AM
that is the problem, they make good tools and unfortunatly the bad tools tarnish their name a little.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 04:13:27 AM
I couldn't tell from the pic, is the wire cutter a anvil type or bypass type? If it's anvil type I'm really suprised it would break cutting a ziptie.  :o

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 06:07:17 AM
I believe it is anvil. the edge of the cutters come together and touch.

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 08:29:39 AM
Scrappy, I will never buy Gerber multitools again after reading this thread about Suspension and also after reading this thread about Radius quality.

Eddie

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 08:59:42 AM
Don't be too hasty Eddie, the MP series and above are just fine :), it's these cheap crappy ones that cause all the problems >:(
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 11:48:24 AM
Don't be too hasty Eddie, the MP series and above are just fine :), it's these cheap crappy ones that cause all the problems >:(

I will still buy Gerber knives Micky.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 01:35:01 PM

Good man :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 02:26:25 PM
Most Gerbers are a great platform to own. As long as you stay away from the cookie cutter Chinese models taht are based on the Suspension. So really dont judge the whole company for a worthless design and a piece of crap. Just stick with the 600 series.
S

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 03:12:47 PM
Most Gerbers are a great platform to own. As long as you stay away from the cookie cutter Chinese models taht are based on the Suspension. So really dont judge the whole company for a worthless design and a piece of crap. Just stick with the 600 series.

This is my opinion on how the Gerber models stack up quality-wise:

Very good:
  • 600 series
  • 400 series
  • Diesel

So-so:
  • Freehand
  • Flik
  • Shortcut
  • Clutch

Not so good:
  • Suspension
  • Suspension clones: Crux, Resolve, etc
  • Radius
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 04:15:42 PM

I'd have to agree with you on that!
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 04:35:36 PM
Scrappy, I will never buy Gerber multitools again after reading this thread about Suspension and also after reading this thread about Radius quality.

Eddie

Like the guys have already said, please don't take all of Gerber's multitools to be like that.  Cutting out Gerber completely means that you are cutting out a small family of great tools and no true collection should be without a Gerber with a flick out set of pliers.  :)
I'm back!!

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 09:01:56 PM

Very good:
  • 600 series
  • 400 series
  • Diesel

So-so:
  • Freehand
  • Flik
  • Shortcut
  • Clutch

Not so good:
  • Suspension
  • Radius

Now that is a very useful break down of the Gerber models, should be a sticky.

Thanks!
Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 05:12:39 AM
I'd upgrade flik to good. Happy with mine so far, nothing broken yet.  :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 05:43:57 AM
I'd upgrade flik to good. Happy with mine so far, nothing broken yet.  :D

Yah, I guess I agree with that assessment. :)

Revised rankings:

Very good:
  • 600 series
  • 400 series
  • Diesel
  • Flik

So-so:
  • Freehand
  • Shortcut
  • Clutch

Not so good:
  • Suspension
  • Radius

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 08:39:43 AM
what about the freehand? any impressions??

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 01:07:01 PM
I'm just glad scrappy didn't have a cold and sneeze!  :ahhh

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #18 on: April 06, 2008, 01:11:40 PM

mmmm maybe if it were in a cracker jack box (where it belongs) I'd get one :pok:

Offline damota

Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 01:31:39 PM
I just bought a gerber radius two days ago and was dissapointed with the knife. It had several nicks in the blade already. I used the plier for the first time today to cut a zip tie and the plier head broke right off the handle. I have broken tools but never like this. I use my leatherman and cheap tools to do this all the time. it is much softer than cutting metal. the ruber/plastic handle made in china is very poor. no pics because I left work during lunch and returned the knife and bought a husky multitool.

Can you tell me why you bought the Radius? I see you have been a member for just a short while but you must have read the many reports on the Gerber butterfly's and could have guessed a plastic handled one would be even worse. Plastic handles might be OK for a saw handle but never for pliers. Even worse when they put tools in without also having decent liners.
Sorry if I sound harsh but the group is trying to help people make better decisions when buying tools.
If you want a Gerber buy a sliding head one (the ones that rattle I have found the best ;) ). If it was not for the likes of the MP600 range I would not be here. I would still be walking around with Pliers, Cutter and Wire Stripper hanging by one handle out of my rear pocket and screw driver point up in the other pocket. I use them because they are safe one hand openers with very little work. Bob's list is just about right but I would put the Recoil ahead of the Diesel. When not using the MP600s I carry the Recoil EDC and it has never let me down. I was thinking of getting a Skeletool but I realized it would be money wasted and end up left in the drawer all the time. The blade is no better than the Recoils.
Butterfly's are (IMO) not for safe one hand use while working above or alongside other people I have found the sliders are. All the sliders need a bit set if you need to use screw drivers (1/4 bit used by Gerber give you the biggest range to pick between.) although the Recoils Phillips and flat (more like a chisel, ground on one side) are useful (must be the longest reach of any multi-tool although a bit on the broad side.)

Dave

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 01:38:36 PM
yeah scrappy, what were you thinking! :D

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008, 09:27:12 PM

mmmm maybe if it were in a cracker jack box (where it belongs) I'd get one :pok:

Gerber still have a few good knives. Silver trident/Applegate covert is 154cm, and 06 auto is s30v. But most of their knives are 420 crap.

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 02:45:34 AM
I like the LMF II (12C27 Sandvick) and the Gator series (420HC).
(

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 06:17:30 AM
I own an LMF and several gators in 154cm and 420. most of my gerbers are old and well built. I own at least 10gerber multitools and although they are not my favorite they do work well enough. I had no idea that ther butterfly tools had problems. I own many china made butterfly tools that are very tough for just 20 bucks. I expected the gerber to be just as good. I did not cut metal. remeber this is a zip tye. the sizzors on my swiss army knife can cut it and my multitools do it all the time. the radius should handle it. why are the wire cutters there?

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 06:18:20 AM
I do own a recoil. the action is awesome but the pliers tend to fold the steel rather than cut.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%