Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Swiss Army Workchamp Xl

Offline mikekoz

Victorinox Swiss Army Workchamp Xl
on: May 01, 2013, 09:43:50 PM
  Does anybody have one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Workchamp-Xl/dp/B0007QCPA0/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1367437267&sr=1-2&keywords=swiss+work+champ

I was thinking about replacing a Swiss Champ I sold a few months ago with another one, but this things looks like one heck of multi tool!!!  :drool: :tu:  I like the size of this better than the champ. Only thing that does not make sense is that it comes with no sheath!!  :think:

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox Swiss Army Workchamp Xl
Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 09:55:44 PM
I think a few people here have those but they are thick and big!

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 10:05:08 PM
The Work Champ XL is humongous, no doubt about it.

A while back I was reading on another site about what one item you would take to a desert island. Someone listed the Work Champ XL. The general reaction was "That's cheating!".

IMG_2946.JPG
* IMG_2946.JPG (Filesize: 63.9 KB)

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 10:28:14 PM
A while back I was reading on another site about what one item you would take to a desert island. Someone listed the Work Champ XL. The general reaction was "That's cheating!".

:rofl:

us Offline Mud Shrimp Moe

Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 11:03:23 PM
I think the Work Champ XL is really cool. However, from a pricing perspective, you're paying nearly $84 more than the Work Champ (120% more cost) to get only five tools:

rescue blade
clip-point blade
equestrian hook
combo tool
shackle opener/marlinspike

I think the rescue blade, equestrian hook and marlinspike are quite cool, mind you. But that's a lot of extra money basically for the collector's motivation to have them.

I'm using Amazon USA costs in the above example. In my experiences looking around the auctions as well, the price upgrade from the Work Champ to the Work Champ XL is pretty comparable.

More: And the price upgrade from the Hercules to the Work Champ is also a pretty big step function ($46 versus $74 on Amazon) .... only to get the metal file and mini screwdriver. Seeing as you can buy a mini screwdriver for $5, that turns out to be a $23 metal file. Ouch!! In the end, the Hercules just looks like a screaming good deal compared to the XL or the Work Champ. Plus it's easier to carry.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 11:09:19 PM by Mud Shrimp Moe »

Offline mikekoz

Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 02:17:50 PM
I think the Work Champ XL is really cool. However, from a pricing perspective, you're paying nearly $84 more than the Work Champ (120% more cost) to get only five tools:

rescue blade
clip-point blade
equestrian hook
combo tool
shackle opener/marlinspike

I think the rescue blade, equestrian hook and marlinspike are quite cool, mind you. But that's a lot of extra money basically for the collector's motivation to have them.

I'm using Amazon USA costs in the above example. In my experiences looking around the auctions as well, the price upgrade from the Work Champ to the Work Champ XL is pretty comparable.

More: And the price upgrade from the Hercules to the Work Champ is also a pretty big step function ($46 versus $74 on Amazon) .... only to get the metal file and mini screwdriver. Seeing as you can buy a mini screwdriver for $5, that turns out to be a $23 metal file. Ouch!! In the end, the Hercules just looks like a screaming good deal compared to the XL or the Work Champ. Plus it's easier to carry.

I agree with you. The extra blades would be nice, but the price is a bit inflated. Somebody on Ebay is seeling a new one for $131.00 + 5.99 shipping, and is the best price I have seen. After looking at it, it may actually be too big for practical use. I may search for a used one. Thank you!

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 03:30:52 PM
The clip point blade alone makes me want one. But I could not convince myself yet at the stated price ('for collectors' ::))

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 10:47:24 PM
People always say how big this is...but it is really the size of many plier based multi-tools.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 10:58:34 PM
There are two versions by the way, the more rare one has a small gutting blade instead of the bottle opener :)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 11:15:10 PM
I did not know that Reinier. I have the more common one.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 10:59:24 AM
Yes there are a couple of pictures here http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,35049.0.html and here http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,36003.0.html.

Actually, It seems like there are even more variations: for example there are older ones without the long Phillips driver (http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,31917.0.html) and with or without a liner between the wood saw and the metal saw.

I am glad I stopped collecting 111mm SAKs or I would "need" at least three or four different Workchamp XLs :ahhh

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 11:41:23 AM
I've seen it in a shop, it really is huge.
In my mind the 111mm is better with a few strong tools and the 85-91mm are better for containing many tools, like on the Toolchest and Swisschamps. Furthermore, there is strong competition from Wenger Rangers and full size Multitools (Swisstool, Surge, Supertool etc). I never bought a 111mm because of that. I would prefer a 3-4 layer Ranger.

us Offline Mud Shrimp Moe

Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 03:21:47 PM
The thing that kills me about the XL is how the combo tool is right by the regular bottle opener and can opener layer. I have to laugh at the unashamed redundancy.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Re: Victorinox Swiss Army Workchamp XL
Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 04:05:04 PM
The thing that kills me about the XL is how the combo tool is right by the regular bottle opener and can opener layer. I have to laugh at the unashamed redundancy.

It's aimed at collectors and I guess they don't mind. Also, there is a version with the gutting blade instead of the bottle opener. Less redundancy on that one :)

Offline Quartz

Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 12:35:47 PM
I think this depends on what you want this for. The Workchamp *seriously* pushes the limit for an EDC (personally I think my Hercules is too much and don't use it). The XL is patently ridiculous outside of a showpiece- it's completely unusable for anything due to it's raw width. You're firmly up in "Wenger Giant Knife" territory at that point.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 01:57:43 PM
I EDC'ed one for a few weeks and found it rather useful and not that large. Frankly, it is the size and weight of a large multi-tool. Do you hear people complain much about the size of a Surge? To each their own.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 10:11:09 PM
     I ordered one after all. After seeing various photos of it on various places on the web, I do not think it will be too large. It looks a little wider than my old Champ, but being longer will make it easier to use to me as I have large hands. I should have it on Tuesday!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 10:35:20 PM
The verdict is obvious: Many pics and some comments about it, after using it for a few days.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 02:48:50 AM
It would be cool to have that clip point bade on another sak of this size.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 11:32:31 AM
    I received my Workchamp XL yesterday. This tool is by no means too large to use, even if you have medium sized hands. This is just my opinion, and your mileage may vary, but as one poster put it, it is just like using a large Leatherman or other tool like that. My first impressions are very positive! On a negative note, I almost did not receive it! The box the seller put it in was open and the tool could have easily fallen out. It is a miracle it did not. The box was a fold over "envelope" type where you are supposed to pull a strip to open it. Both sides were wide open and all I had to do to get the tool out was reach my hand inside. I thought maybe the glue holding the box together gave out, but there was never any there! Now,,,on to write a nastygram to Amazon!!  :twak:

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 06:35:59 AM
Glad to hear you got it, despite the shipping issues.

I don't have an XL myself, and to be honest, the only reason I'd buy one is to tear it down for parts to make mods with. 

That said, I do have a regular Work Champ, and although it isn't my most used SAK (that would be one of my pocketable ones, like my Compact, Yeoman, or Exec), it is my favorite SAK of all the ones I have.

I rarely need pliers for day to day tasks (I consider Vic pliers to be more like heavy duty forceps than true pliers), and the Work Champ gives me everything else I need in a relatively compact package, with a quality and price that's hard to beat with just about any other tool, pliers based, or SAK. 

In all of those "if you could only have one" threads, I always pick my regular Work Champ.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 08:00:16 PM
     I agree about the pliers. I also just got a Wenger Ranger 88 and the pliers on that are much better. I like the extra blades on the XL, although I think the regular Work Champ is a better value for the money. I just HAD to have the XL! Who knows, one of these days I will have both!!  :drool:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%