Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Got paperclip?

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Got paperclip?
on: May 02, 2013, 04:05:34 AM
  Sure, why not. Give us your temporary or permanent paperclip or wire fixin's.  :D

Me, been wanting to wrangle the stampede string, and really don't want it hanging down the back of my ears & neck. Paracord just made a mess. Didn't have any thin paracord to work with, so grabbed a trusty ol' paperclip and make a stampede sting clip.
  Will have to keep an eye out on it for rust but it should work fine past that. Or find some thin aluminum wire maybe.

Will see how it works out.  :P

DSC02894.JPG
* DSC02894.JPG (Filesize: 100.73 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Re: Got paperclip?
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 06:03:00 PM
Rid a horse or two (been bit and stepped on) but never roped a steer - heck I wouldn't know how.
Thrown a dally on nothin but string around pruned branches.
What is a stampede string?  What does the clip for it do?
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 09:53:37 PM
  Not sure what a dally is, but all for it should it be a good thing.  :tu:

A chin strap, known in the American West as a stampede string, can be braided in 4 strands of (kangaroo) leather, & will ensure that you do not lose your hat to a gust of wind. Akubra has small eyelet hooks on the inside of their large brimmed hats to accommodate such a chin strap.

Some fellas, and gals too, like to keep their hats on their heads during rough activities, windy conditions, or when going through the brush. A chin strap really comes in handy for those that don't rivet their hats to their heads.  :D

Seems to be a few ways to store the chin strap when not in use. A lot drape it down the back of their head. Some, like me, throw it up topside and it has been great staying like that the past couple of years.

Added a paperclip there to keep it up top instead of having the strap landing on my shoulders unexpectedly. Least with a paperclip it doesn't look bad. Would require the thin paracord or a leather thong otherwise, none of which I had on hand. Would rather have an easily removable option to use the strap when needed, so made a strap keeper out of a paperclip.  ;)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 11:56:00 PM
I use them for impromptu wire at work, I've fixed PCB tracks with them, extended components legs etc. There are better things for the job but when you have a paper clip...

I've also used one to clean out the, umm, thingy that squirts fuel in to a carburettor which was blocked with crud. We started off with an engine that sparked but didn't get any fuel, went past the engine that sparked, had fuel and still wouldn't start and ended up with one that didn't spark  :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%