Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How long have you been collecting Swiss Army knives?

edursr · 33 · 3281

br Offline edursr

The first one that I got was in 1982, but since 2005 I've been collecting Wengers and Victorinoxes. :D

In those 8 years my collection went from 8 models to over 500... :ahhh

I don't even try to discover how much money I spent on my babies, although nowadays I've slowed down a lot, and I have been buying only 2 or 3 each month... :think:

I always wonder if I had started earlier, all the beautiful and rare models that I could get for a lot less money, since I believe that actually there are a lot more collectors than a few years ago... ::)

us Offline Jailbird

Re: How long have you been collecting Swiss Army knives?
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 08:08:34 PM
Actually collecting, a few months. I have maybe 15-20 SAKs now. Only 3 are actually collectors that won't see use. The rest are all users. I got my first SAK from boy scouts 30 years ago, but that one is long gone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 08:45:43 PM
About a year here's what I have so far
CHEERS

us Offline Agonistes

Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 09:44:15 PM
i've had a SAK on me since high school, of one sort or another, and my first real tool purchase as an adult was a higher end SAK.  after i bought my first leatherman, i had one or both on me at any time, but i would say i was more of a user than a collector, although i will be a collector soon if this forum has anything to say about it.   ::) :D

Offline k12cop

Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 11:43:13 PM
Had some sak or other since grade school...actually collecting only for about two years...to avoid it becoming all encompassing, I set my limit at 40 which I will meet when a package comes from Serbia.

I can fill a drawer in my dresser with them now, and since all of them are to be used, I have a lot of variety, vic, Wenger, swissbuck...economy, regular, alox, vintage.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 12:24:29 AM
Started buying SAKs in the mid 1970s.

Started seriously collecting them about 2000.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 02:46:15 AM
Off and on since 1997.

I still got my first real sak a Wenger soldier.

love my saks
Defend the Hive!!!

br Offline rmagralha

Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 03:14:43 AM
I had 5 that father gave me when I was 12 years old (1987), last year my step daugther went to Switzerland and brougth me a silver pioneer, this made me start buying again, I have around 100 now. I share your thoughts, what if I have started earlier  ???

Now come on.....500!!!!!! Send some pictures!  :cheers:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 03:19:28 AM
I guess I wouldn't call myself a collector, especially when I only have 3 SAKs now :-[  I had 5, but sent 4 in to be modded and got 2 back.  So I have my 2 modded SAKs (Yeochamp and Mechaneer) and an Executive (my first SAK bought back last October).  I probably won't get any more since the purpose of my mods was to get what I wanted for a Cellidor and an Alox. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 04:04:03 AM
I got my first SAK about 1995, but didn't start collecting until mid-2000s.  Once started, I quickly reached the double digits.  I don't believe I've broken into triple digits yet, as I've slowed down quite a bit of late, but not going to count.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 07:00:24 AM
I started collecting in 2009.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Tyler_

Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 07:55:22 AM
Bought a Wenger back in the late 90s that I carried on and off through the years, but didn't start collecting until Nov. 2010.  Mainly concentrate  on alox Soldiers.

us Offline Kid33

Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 07:58:36 AM
I started less than a year ago and I have about 25 Saks and the number is growing daily.  I initially bought the Super Tinker after searching on Ebay and I loved it. Next after that was the Deluxe Tinker,  then I noticed there was a model with a Magnifier and bought the Explorer Plus.  Then I discovered the Yeoman. then the Yeoman Mechanic.  I then decided I needed a Swiss Champ for the collection and thought I was pretty much done. But then..I wanted to try the Compact to use in pants that were more snuggly fitting.    I also discovered the Signature 58mm then I found the Rambler and then Manager ( which I love).   

Right now I am starting to fancy the Alox Classics.  I found a Green one and might try to get a few more in diff colors.   I also like all the different Golfer models and have a few of the different ones (no 84mm yet)

Id like to get a mod done as well. Collecting Saks has been great fun for me so far.   Kind of expensive too. :) 
A wise man speaks few words

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 10:52:26 AM
Using for about 40 years, collecting for just over a year.
I was "normal" until I met you bunch of enablers.  :facepalm:

Haven't had a count up lately but it's still likely to be the other side of a hundred. But more of them are Alox and less Cellidor than 6 months ago.

sg Offline adobo

Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 11:37:07 AM
2011 but use all of them in rotation and no intention to keep any as shelf queens.
I sharpen all the SAKs i buy, so in a way theyre not collectors item.
"The more it stays the same the less it changes"
-Spinal Tap

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 02:42:50 PM
I should add though, that I wouldn't have ever thought of or probably discovered that there are modders out there who can give you what you want in a SAK without this place.  If I had never decided to get any mods, I would have probably bought more SAKs over time, much like I did with Leathermans initially.  There's just always something that is missing from SAKs you have, or something you see in one that you feel you need to have, which leads to buying more.  Still, I can honestly say I shouldn't have any need for any more SAKs now that I have my mods.  Until of course, they come out with something brand new that sparks my interest ;)
K-Tibbs

bn Offline jojotlc

Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 03:07:33 PM
...started bitten by SAK bug in 1992 with a SwissChamp...  Then unknowingly buy & misplaced few Classics...then bought another SwissChamp as the 92 was presumed lost..now I got 2 of them..plus many others.. :D
Inner Peace  8-)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 03:09:22 PM
My first was in 1986 and I didn't start collecting yet. I just have about 10 users (only one is used for demonstration, the others in real life) and 10 other knives and Multitools.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 03:34:14 PM
I don't consider myself a SAK collector (although others might), certainly not by the MTO standards. I'm more of a SAK enthusiast. I love reading up on them, learning about their history and variations throughout the years, modding them and looking at other peoples mods, and of course using them. I bought my first one in 1994 I think. :think: A Wenger Snife Waves Commander. I think I had 5 or 6 SAKs when I joined here. Today I have between 50 and 60 SAKs. About the half of them are Wengers. 

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 04:40:04 PM
I'm not a collector any more  :ahhh
they're just so shiny  :whistle:
got my first 'pen knife' when I was about seven years old (nearly 40 years ago ::)) my father brought it back from a day trip to France. It was only a cheep and nasty thing as I recall, but it set me off on a downward spiral. I wanted to 'collect something' and that was the start of my KNIFEcollection days. everything I could get sharp and pointy, mostly crap, but all displayed with pride  :D (made worse....much worse by the first viewing of the Rambo film  :facepalm:)
I think I only had one 'victorinox' , a champion I believe, which IS around here somewhere but I'm damned if I can find it  :rant: I saw it just a few years ago i'm sure ! wouldn't have thrown it or given it away, and it wasn't till I came here I had any clue it might have any value other than sentimental.
started EDCing a 'pocket knife' at 16 when I started 'work' and have pretty much since.
I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM !!!  :whistle:
(just lots of nice things  :facepalm:)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 04:42:19 PM by Taxi Dad »

de Offline crackout

Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 06:26:11 PM
I started getting into SAKs seriously about 1.5 years ago.

However, I'm mainly looking for THE ONE SAK to carry for the rest of time. This journey took me some time and ended on the black Cadet with red shield and scissors.

Treasure box:

SAKS:

Modder's fodder:
Vintage Climber (for the smooth backspring)
Cadet (not sure what I'll do with this one, maybe I'll fit 91mm scissors and a custom spring in there)
My treasure box full of nice stuff

Mods:
Custom Climber (smooth backspring, new parts, vintage plus scales)
Custom Lumberjack (orange anodized liner, black anodized scales)
Custom (Urban) Pioneer (threaded pivots, custom modified backspring: solo spring + forged scissors rest, black anodized scales)

Collection:
Pre 1970 Small Climber
Scientist
Voyageur
Wenger SI (brand new in box, bought once Wenger declared resignation)

And of course my Companion For Life:
Cadet with black scales and red shield, factory scissors and threaded pivot construction with a complete set of replacement parts (yep, scissors as well  ::))
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 06:37:54 PM by crackout »
Say my name.

br Offline rmagralha

Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 12:33:33 AM
I started getting into SAKs seriously about 1.5 years ago.

However, I'm mainly looking for THE ONE SAK to carry for the rest of time. This journey took me some time and ended on the black Cadet with red shield and scissors.

Treasure box:

(Image removed from quote.)

SAKS:

Modder's fodder:
Vintage Climber (for the smooth backspring)
Cadet (not sure what I'll do with this one, maybe I'll fit 91mm scissors and a custom spring in there)
My treasure box full of nice stuff

Mods:
Custom Climber (smooth backspring, new parts, vintage plus scales)
Custom Lumberjack (orange anodized liner, black anodized scales)
Custom (Urban) Pioneer (threaded pivots, custom modified backspring: solo spring + forged scissors rest, black anodized scales)

Collection:
Pre 1970 Small Climber
Scientist
Voyageur
Wenger SI (brand new in box, bought once Wenger declared resignation)

And of course my Companion For Life:
Cadet with black scales and red shield, factory scissors and threaded pivot construction with a complete set of replacement parts (yep, scissors as well  ::))

Cool pictures crackout!  :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 01:12:52 AM
Yes, I found the history and infinite variations rather addicting to be truthful. In fact, I did not consider myself a collector until I had around 100 SAKs. Funny enough, I was taking photos of 2 Wenger heritage knives for this site and then it hit me....that I was a collector. :facepalm:

Thankfully, you reach a critical mass and then you ponder your collecting habits. I am gratefully on the road to collecting a lot less these days. I mean...you have to have some sort of limit or it all becomes meaningless.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 04:06:51 AM
Since 1963 , off and on . I have less income of late , plus more impulse control .

Chris

br Offline edursr

Reply #24 on: June 26, 2013, 05:10:05 AM
About a year here's what I have so far

Nice collection!!! Congrats!!! :drool:

br Offline edursr

Reply #25 on: June 26, 2013, 05:11:51 AM
I had 5 that father gave me when I was 12 years old (1987), last year my step daugther went to Switzerland and brougth me a silver pioneer, this made me start buying again, I have around 100 now. I share your thoughts, what if I have started earlier  ???

Now come on.....500!!!!!! Send some pictures!  :cheers:
Hi,

My vacations will start tomorow, and I will do that!!! :D
Be ready, it will be a lot of pictures...and I am not a very good photographer... :-[

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: June 26, 2013, 05:12:22 AM
This is a pretty drool worthy thread :drool:

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: June 26, 2013, 05:12:39 AM
Five years. I have one EDC, a couple users strewn around the house, and several hundred in my collection. Mostly vintage 84mm and 91mm Victorinox.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: June 26, 2013, 05:13:25 AM
Five years. I have one EDC, a couple users strewn around the house, and several hundred in my collection. Mostly vintage 84mm and 91mm Victorinox.

You are a master on dating them if I'm not mistaken :tu:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #29 on: June 26, 2013, 05:28:33 AM

What's your one EDC SAK?
K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88