Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

OMG! Am I cured?

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
OMG! Am I cured?
on: August 02, 2013, 12:45:12 AM
I was feeling complete with a Swisschamp and a dressy ribbed  Cadet for more than 25  years.
Then, almost a year ago, I started craving for SAKs and Multitools and met that forum. I never intended to be a collector but I bought some handfuls of tools and some books, I also read a lot about those items.
Now, the last month, I feel I need nothing more. I acquired tools I was contemplating for years. A bigger Swisschamp (XLT) and an even bigger (XAVT). Two smaller SAKs for outdoors (Harvester) and indoors (Mountaineer). Another dressy SAK (Executive) and one for the keychain (Minichamp). And some more. Two Spydercos, a keychain (Ladybug) and a standalone (Endura). Some Opinels. Some Bahcos). A big.Leatherman (Surge) and a small one (Juice Pro). Whetstones, other knives and tools, pouches, accessories. All users, more or less. All lovely and useful.
My bags contain now no less than 5 different knives and Multitools with some more in my car.
If I ever get arrested it would be hard to convince the authorities that I just happen to like these stuff and that I mean no harm to anybody.
But now I feel that I need nothing more. Sure, I might get a Spirit, a couple of Moras or Opinels (but these don't count, they are dead cheap), or something potentially new and shiny, but there is no hurry, no tension, no craving, no hoarding. I even have few things to post here, in MTO.
The craze remitted? The journey ended? Am I cured? Is there a relapse hazard?
I don't know.
We'll have to wait and see.

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: OMG! Am I cured?
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 12:47:46 AM
you are dreaming and sleep typing   :whistle:
If I can help, let me know 

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 12:49:26 AM
No mate,its just a breather,while you take stock...kinda like my relapse to using a modded PST2.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 12:50:06 AM
I went about a month not even really thinking about MTs.

I think I have sated my desire for actual carry tools.

Now, it's just all the enablers here, pushing me. :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 12:55:26 AM
Sure, I might get a Spirit, a couple of Moras or Opinels (but these don't count, they are dead cheap), or something potentially new and shiny, but there is no hurry, no tension, no craving, no hoarding.

by this admission alone I say no.  regardless of cost, MT/SAK accumulation is MT/SAK accumulation, seems you have just reached the "goldilocks zone" where the MT/SAK  NEED/DESIRE is tempered by having what you need fulfilled and only now wanting for the sake of wanting.  yet this too is MT/SAK accumulation and still no cure is known.    :sak: 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 03:55:39 AM
Every year new products are released. Sure enough, something will come out that will strike your fancy.

Also, extended use of the tools you now possess will reveal more things you believe can be achieved better by another multitool.

At any rate, enjoy the lull  :tu:
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 06:55:10 AM
Am I cured?

No, you are simply experiencing an intermission.   >:D

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 09:29:08 AM
This is a serious case, disillusion of cure and disorientation, immediate admission to local SAK store for prolonged fondling of Swisstool or Swisstool Spirit is recommended.  :D

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 10:23:28 AM
I'm on vacation right now. But I might do just that after I go back home.
Unless someone here wants to part with his good condition Victorinox Spirit Plus.

Ἄφοβον ὁ θεός, ἀνύποπτον ὁ θάνατος· καὶ τ’ ἀγαθὸν μὲν εὔκτητον, τὸ δὲ δεινὸν εὐκαρτέρητον.
Φιλόδημος Γαδαρεύς

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 01:39:36 PM
Cured?  No.  Found a suitable balance for treatment?  Very possible.

While many of us are collectors, many more of us are users simply trying to find what works for them.  If you have found what works for you, then congratulations on reaching a certain level of enlightenment!  If something else comes along and you relapse, who around here is going to judge you?  :D

This place has always been about what works and how well, regardless of what is printed on the side.  If you have what works for you then that is a cause for celebration!  I hope you have a bottle opener somewhere in the mix!  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 06:08:40 AM
hahaha... it is an incurable illness the doctor said. in my case i dont even think about it anymore. my bank account and payroll has been on autopilot since i joined

Sent from my Cruize W280 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 06:12:05 AM
I have way too many items on my wish list to not think about SAKs.  I wish you well in your contentment but I'm happy where I am still collecting  :cheers:
SAW

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 11:16:15 PM
Sure, I might get a Spirit, a couple of Moras or Opinels (but these don't count, they are dead cheap), or something potentially new and shiny, but there is no hurry, no tension, no craving, no hoarding.

by this admission alone I say no.  regardless of cost, MT/SAK accumulation is MT/SAK accumulation, seems you have just reached the "goldilocks zone" where the MT/SAK  NEED/DESIRE is tempered by having what you need fulfilled and only now wanting for the sake of wanting.  yet this too is MT/SAK accumulation and still no cure is known.    :sak:

+1 to this.  I have plenty and more than I need honestly, but I use just about all of it with a handful of exceptions.  I've reached the point of simply wanting for the sake of wanting.  I like getting new toys in the mail :mail: :D  So I don't think we can be completely cured, but maybe there are times when the bug is more persistent than others.
K-Tibbs

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 06:38:56 PM
Lack of funding "cured" me.  :cry:
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 06:54:17 PM
I'm not yet cured, a Spirit S declares.

Ἄφοβον ὁ θεός, ἀνύποπτον ὁ θάνατος· καὶ τ’ ἀγαθὸν μὲν εὔκτητον, τὸ δὲ δεινὸν εὐκαρτέρητον.
Φιλόδημος Γαδαρεύς

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 07:31:06 PM
I'm not yet cured, a Spirit S declares.

Φιλόδημος Γαδαρεύς

One can never be completely cured it seems >:D

So is the Spirit S still available in select areas or something?  Last I checked it still wasn't available here in the US.  I really would like one as I like both blades.
K-Tibbs

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 07:35:39 PM
I ordered it from the US, Felinevet.
I heard bad things about the Spirit's scissors, that's why I omitted them. Vic 91mm scissors are the best and I always have them (and 58mm) at hand. So I don't need them on the Spirit.

Φιλόδημος Γαδαρεύς

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 07:39:57 PM
I ordered it from the US, Felinevet.
I heard bad things about the Spirit's scissors, that's why I omitted them. Vic 91mm scissors are the best and I always have them (and 58mm) at hand. So I don't need them on the Spirit.

Φιλόδημος Γαδαρεύς

Oh I didn't check him, thanks :salute:  I agree about the Spirit's scissors.  They aren't exactly bad, but I prefer SAK scissors overall.  I'd rather just have both blades on the Spirit.
K-Tibbs

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 01:08:08 AM
Two months later, with the Swisstool Spirit as EDC and EDU, yes, I feel cured. Stopped looking at e-stores and physical stores, I even stopped following MTO that much (not proud about that). Still, that year-long adventure gave me a few excellent pieces I would never justify otherwise (like the XAVT), some books, notes and knowledge and the pleasure to have met a great company with lots of humor, tolerance and love, that meets in the best known Internet forum that is running with the efforts of a great administrator and moderators. I'll be around, I'll keep posting now and then, blaming Kirk and ignoring his thread from time to time, I might even buy some stuff, but I feel no pressure or obsession at this point. I hope the best for MTO and its tool loving circus. And remember: OPTIMVM INSTRVMENTVM EST INTER AVRES SED MELIVS LAMINA EST COR'

Φιλόδημος Γαδαρεύς
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 01:11:39 AM by kkokkolis »

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 13, 2013, 01:32:13 AM
Jeez :( Don't become a stranger to us here at MTO.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #20 on: October 13, 2013, 02:20:10 AM
This is one of the saddest threads I've read in a long time :(

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: October 13, 2013, 02:36:44 AM
Yeah, I know. I kind of thought it was intended to be humorous at first.

Multi-tool burnout

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: October 13, 2013, 08:16:09 PM
Give the man credit...he's found enlightenment :salute:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #23 on: October 13, 2013, 10:22:13 PM
He just doesn't realise it yet. Maybe you should direct him to your thread  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: October 13, 2013, 10:42:56 PM
No,he's been there and posted at it.

Kkokkolis,don't be a stranger,mate...

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #25 on: October 14, 2013, 12:37:31 AM
I have to confuse also for the last month or so I have been carrying this combo and find my needs and wants fulfilled. I believed I too have reached enlightment

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #26 on: October 14, 2013, 12:39:08 AM

The thud you will hear shortly is me falling off the wagon

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #27 on: October 14, 2013, 12:41:12 AM
The thud you will hear shortly is me falling off the wagon

:D :D :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #28 on: October 14, 2013, 02:13:32 PM
I'm not a stranger. I just found my Spirit. Other tools lost their sex appeal instantly. It's a Spiritual thing you see. What else could I wish in life after that?

Φιλόδημος Γαδαρεύς

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: October 14, 2013, 02:58:05 PM
I'm not a stranger. I just found my Spirit. Other tools lost their sex appeal instantly. It's a Spiritual thing you see. What else could I wish in life after that?

Φιλόδημος Γαδαρεύς
Very nicely said :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%