Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

OMG! Am I cured?

spam Online comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: OMG! Am I cured?
Reply #30 on: October 14, 2013, 05:01:45 PM
This is a serious case, disillusion of cure and disorientation, immediate admission to local SAK store for prolonged fondling of Swisstool or Swisstool Spirit is recommended.  :D

I'm not a stranger. I just found my Spirit. Other tools lost their sex appeal instantly. It's a Spiritual thing you see. What else could I wish in life after that?

Ἄφοβον ὁ θεός, ἀνύποπτον ὁ θάνατος· καὶ τ’ ἀγαθὸν μὲν εὔκτητον, τὸ δὲ δεινὸν εὐκαρτέρητον.
Φιλόδημος Γαδαρεύς

I am biased towards Spirit as being probably the best MT there is; and with that in hand, I too won't argue that you are cured, for now.   :tu: :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: October 14, 2013, 06:52:17 PM
after having my spirit for just a short while i can understand the complete elatedness this tool brings. i think its a great balance of form and function, i have a CS Plus version of the spirit (butter blade ) and this really serves as a complete tool set.  the scissors aside and butter blade aside for now, this tool strikes a nice comfort zone where the "what if" can be met with great confidence.  o ok so the scissors works and the butter blade is good,  i think we all get into comparing and its easy to do which leads us to micro examining our needs based on potential possibilities.  a blade is better than no blade and a pair of scissors is better than none and if we wanted a great pair of scissors we'd buy the best possible pair, same goes for blades.

my MT serves as a go to "if" the need arises and a known capability before setting out for the day.  i know what my MT or Vic is capable of and should an "if" arise im sure id get by.  we have seen many times in the news or have heard of a simple pen knife or an old tool that got its owner out of a jam and saved their life.  we all have some pretty great tools at hand and on our person while some are brand loyal others have experienced repeated failures of a particular tool/brand which had lead to dismissal of that tool/brand.  one persons go to tool is another's most loathed.         
personally i enjoy the discussions and topics related to the micro examination of each implement on our MTs and SAKs and the of the tools themselves as i too do the same. 

after getting the swisstool i thought id be done needing a great work tool but have discovered the wave is as good and sometimes i simply like to change things up so it hasn't replaced anything.  off day carry is a mixed bag and ive tried to decide on a good mix for the "what if" and up till now this has been accomplished by combining certain tools.  now that i have a spirit cs plus i too could say this one tool sums up what ive bee trying to accomplish with the combinations BUT the tool geek in me wishes to have fun stuff at my side or on my person so ill continue to carry other items non the less.

im glad KK has found his EDC EDU nirvana and i think its awesome the search for now is complete.  congrats and i too totally smitten with my spirit ( scissors and sheath aside )  :whistle:     
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: October 14, 2013, 07:01:51 PM
I'm in the same boat , I own a Spirit X , which sees bag time , and I EDC a Handyman . About the only three things on my radar are a Leatherman Raptor , a Rambler , and a Swiss champ .

Chris

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #33 on: October 14, 2013, 08:41:39 PM
after having my spirit for just a short while i can understand the complete elatedness this tool brings. i think its a great balance of form and function, i have a CS Plus version of the spirit (butter blade ) and this really serves as a complete tool set.  the scissors aside and butter blade aside for now, this tool strikes a nice comfort zone where the "what if" can be met with great confidence.  o ok so the scissors works and the butter blade is good,  i think we all get into comparing and its easy to do which leads us to micro examining our needs based on potential possibilities.  a blade is better than no blade and a pair of scissors is better than none and if we wanted a great pair of scissors we'd buy the best possible pair, same goes for blades.

my MT serves as a go to "if" the need arises and a known capability before setting out for the day.  i know what my MT or Vic is capable of and should an "if" arise im sure id get by.  we have seen many times in the news or have heard of a simple pen knife or an old tool that got its owner out of a jam and saved their life.  we all have some pretty great tools at hand and on our person while some are brand loyal others have experienced repeated failures of a particular tool/brand which had lead to dismissal of that tool/brand.  one persons go to tool is another's most loathed.         
personally i enjoy the discussions and topics related to the micro examination of each implement on our MTs and SAKs and the of the tools themselves as i too do the same. 

after getting the swisstool i thought id be done needing a great work tool but have discovered the wave is as good and sometimes i simply like to change things up so it hasn't replaced anything.  off day carry is a mixed bag and ive tried to decide on a good mix for the "what if" and up till now this has been accomplished by combining certain tools.  now that i have a spirit cs plus i too could say this one tool sums up what ive bee trying to accomplish with the combinations BUT the tool geek in me wishes to have fun stuff at my side or on my person so ill continue to carry other items non the less.

im glad KK has found his EDC EDU nirvana and i think its awesome the search for now is complete.  congrats and i too totally smitten with my spirit ( scissors and sheath aside )  :whistle:   

Very well said.  I'm the same way.  I tend to analyze (or over-analyze :whistle:) my MTs/SAKs and I actually rather enjoy doing so :tu:
K-Tibbs

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #34 on: October 17, 2013, 06:53:36 AM
I hope I get cured too. I will have to continue purchasing my meds for the meantime

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

gb Online Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #35 on: October 20, 2013, 04:56:08 PM
I kind of understand where the OP is coming from too. I have tried the collecting thing but quickly
realised it's not for me so I'm at the point where I have a Swisstool and a Champ and that's pretty much my needs covered. However I still have a healthy curiosity about some tools I haven't tried yet so no doubt there will be a few further purchases along the way. Trading tools is fun too.
Gabba gabba hey!!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #36 on: January 10, 2014, 09:59:13 PM
I think I'm relapsing again. I'm not going to be a collector but curiosity is increasing like a tropical fever.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #37 on: January 10, 2014, 10:02:34 PM
I'm not going to be a collector but ...

I do believe I've said these very words.  :rofl:

I still don't consider myself a collector, but damn... that's a big pile of tools i have for not collecting, so...

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #38 on: January 10, 2014, 10:09:22 PM
I actually had thought I had almost reached your point of satisfaction once I got the Wingman/Sidekick.  Then a buddy here got me a BO Rebar (I already had the SS one), and that rekindled my love of the Rebar, as well as my curiosity once again.  Although I have still been eyeing various SAKs anyway, so I don't think I ever reached cured status...and possibly never will >:D 

I think if I just stopped analyzing what I have and how to make everything perfect to be just what I want/need to carry in various combos, I would be all set.  That and stay away from browsing evilBay :whistle: 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:32:06 PM by Monrogue »
K-Tibbs

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #39 on: January 10, 2014, 10:20:06 PM
It is my personal belief that those of us who marvel at the ingenuity of a SAK or MT will never be "cured" of the the curiosity to try a new tool.  You may find your gold standard, but you will eventually want to test the new tool against the gold standard.

People who really don't care what tool they're using or don't think twice about prying with a knife blade will never worry about trying out the next new thing.  They go from broken tool to the next "To be" broken tool.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #40 on: January 10, 2014, 10:31:47 PM
It is my personal belief that those of us who marvel at the ingenuity of a SAK or MT will never be "cured" of the the curiosity to try a new tool.  You may find your gold standard, but you will eventually want to test the new tool against the gold standard.

People who really don't care what tool they're using or don't think twice about prying with a knife blade will never worry about trying out the next new thing.  They go from broken tool to the next "To be" broken tool.

Very well said sir :D
K-Tibbs

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: January 10, 2014, 10:38:15 PM
I hope I get cured too. I will have to continue purchasing my meds for the meantime

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk

^^^
Fixed.  I am not ready for a "cure" so I'll keep taking meds. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #42 on: January 10, 2014, 11:47:50 PM
The "Uuu, shiny! :dd: " addiction is a hard one to kick. >:D

I'm not going to be a collector but ...

I do believe I've said these very words.  :rofl:

I still don't consider myself a collector, but damn... that's a big pile of tools i have for not collecting, so...

I don't consider myself a collector either (don't have many collectible ones), but my selection of tools is surely in the 3 digits by now.
:doh:

This. I've found my gold standard or perfect EDC (multi, flashlight, SAK, pen, lighter, ... the works) 2 years ago but I still occasionally buy new tools and flashlights that peak my curiosity just to test them out. MUCH less than I used to but the curiosity never goes away. As long as it doesn't interfere with your real life it's great 8) . It's a hobby I enjoy. The feeling when you get a new tool to try out is a good one.  :cheers:  I even like waiting for the postman. :P

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #43 on: January 11, 2014, 12:07:43 AM
All that time I wasn't visiting the forum that much, my Victorinox Spirit made most other tools useless. It made me feel that I need nothing more and it is the shiniest of all as you know. That prodused an interest decline. But nothing is over as long as one breaths.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #44 on: January 11, 2014, 12:20:13 AM
All that time I wasn't visiting the forum that much, my Victorinox Spirit made most other tools useless. It made me feel that I need nothing more and it is the shiniest of all as you know. That prodused an interest decline. But nothing is over as long as one breaths.

Well that's why it's my gold standard for multitools. :D Now if they'd ever make a Juice sized Spirit. :dd:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #45 on: January 11, 2014, 03:43:49 AM

Well that's why it's my gold standard for multitools. :D Now if they'd ever make a Juice sized Spirit. :dd:

That would be pretty cool :tu: 
K-Tibbs

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: January 11, 2014, 04:01:01 AM
I felt the same as generally carry my swisschamp or explorer and surge for my maintenance job and usualy explorer for my carer job but then i got the juice xe6 for Christmas and soon ill have a s2  :ahhh not too mention my sidekick that i really like ,i always thought of myself as a user but I've accumulted a collection so no it never ends  :ahhh

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #47 on: January 11, 2014, 04:52:52 AM
All this talk of being "cured"... HA.   sounds like the denial between relapses  :rofl:

"Honestly, I can give up anytime I want.  :whistle:

I thought I was cured late last year, but I have been on another buying binge since mid December.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #48 on: January 11, 2014, 04:58:00 AM
Yeah, I used to use basically all the MTs/SAKs I had, but I've found that lately that practice is slacking.  I'm gradually settling into a select few, and I like that.  However, my desire/curiosity for more hasn't subsided much, so I continue to seek out more >:D  So I think I'm slowly becoming a collector, despite thinking I wouldn't end up that way ;)
K-Tibbs

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #49 on: January 11, 2014, 05:19:27 AM
I'm a "not a collector" who just built a coffee-table display case to show off his collection... and already it's not big enough :facepalm:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #50 on: January 11, 2014, 05:21:18 AM
I'm a "not a collector" who just built a coffee-table display case to show off his collection... and already it's not big enough :facepalm:

:rofl:
K-Tibbs

gb Offline Spatha

• d---^__^---b
Reply #51 on: January 11, 2014, 06:40:54 AM
I'm infected and I think I might be delirious.
                                                   :woohoo:

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #52 on: January 11, 2014, 12:11:41 PM

:rofl:

Maybe you should build a collection-dinner table now??  :whistle: :whistle: :D :D :D :D :D :D
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: January 11, 2014, 01:12:02 PM
I don't know about being cured,but on the basis of today's carry,I've gone full circle,and am back with a PST (albeit modded),and a big Tinker(albeit rescaled with yellow plus scales)
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #54 on: January 11, 2014, 02:32:45 PM
I have found my perfect set up many times. With multi-tools, Knives, EDC bags, flashlights etc. things in my life keep changing my responsibilities keep changing and so my EDC  is ever evolving. I thought it was perfect many many times and I keep learning new things and new ways to do things. Not to mention all the new blade steels that keep coming out that I need to try out :)

-AdmSlc

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #55 on: January 12, 2014, 12:59:44 PM
I just rearranged my gear that I keep in a drawer.
I don't like having tools that I don't use.
I don't like rotation; I carry the tools that fit my needs best and can't leave them behind for rotation.
I tried to put them in a showcase my wife bought me for minerals. They didn't show well in there. Perhaps using some promotional stands with blades open?
I carry the XLT with SOS set I made and the Spirit in my bags, the Opinel #8 Jardin in my bag or pocket and the Minichamp/Ladybug on my keys. A Mounteneer by my bedside (for when I'm lazy to go and fetch another tool). A Cybertool 34 by my wife's bedside (she uses it all the time but I and my daughter borrow it often). A Bahco knife, a rescue knife and two cheap multis in my car.
From my SAKs & MTs drawer I reach for the Surge and bits for home repair stuff.
All the others have little or no use (some were well used in the past) and nobody has a chance to see them.
That's why I have no interest to buy more but still I like to examine, feel, play with and read about SAK's and Multitools. At least I have kids (and grandchildren into the next decade I hope) to inherit those few I have; nothing precious but they know their father loved those things. Still, I would like to expose them although there very short of a collection.
I guess I could post that in the first world problems thread.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #56 on: January 12, 2014, 08:29:19 PM
Everytime I visit this thread I finally buy a new multitool  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
This time it will come with a gift.  :oops:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #57 on: April 30, 2014, 09:52:32 PM
I have that fulfillment feeling again, after receiving my Skinth and Charge TTi. I feel that they are so perfect combined with what I already have, that I need nothing more, well, for the next few days or weeks according to empirical evidence!
I'm sure that you guys will make me relapse as soon as possible.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #58 on: May 01, 2014, 12:29:09 AM
Good, good. You got a BO Surge yet? Or that shiney Powerlock? Or a Supertimer? Or the new Skinith........
:)

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #59 on: May 01, 2014, 12:31:21 AM
Good, good. You got a BO Surge yet? Or that shiney Powerlock? Or a Supertimer? Or the new Skinith........
:)

live from Nate's mobile
You classic enabler you! ... you forgot to mention a BO Rebar or CT41  :multi: :climber: >:D
SAW

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD